Bleeding the mini brakes

Adrian

• 1 year later...

Morning Chaps

I'm opening up this old conversation again after a period of inactivity with the cars because it follows on.

Brake pedal spongy, firms up with pumps but does not stop the car. Trawlled the usual mini forums and general comments are air trapped in the master cylinder, compensator valve or calipers (calipers are the right way up).

General guidance is to start at Master and crack seals and replace with bleed nipples and systematically bleed to try to ID air lock. Then work way down the system.

So my question is do you have to detatch these components to twist to dislodge any air locks during bleeding? Because I can't see any advantage to leaving them in situ as normal bleeding (used ezibleed) would otherwise disslodge an air lock....wouldn't it? 

NB system was off the car for approx 6 months prior to rebuild.

Cheers

Adrian

Just now, poppyman said:

Hi Adrian, first job is to clamp all the flexi hoses. Good pedal it's not the m/cyl. Release one clamp at a time if pedal is ok, go to the next and so on until you find which wheel/s is causing the problem.

Tony. 

Pete has beat me again :) 

Did you say it was a tandem system, so have you activated the safety system by over pressing the brake pedal when breeding it, with full pressure on the pedal. From having a mini with a tandem system I never press the pedalling halve way.

From memory the shuttle has to be reset, this can be done by moving the fluid reservoir.

Graham

if you can get at the push  rod  (inside the car)   just give it a prod    it should give a rattle as the end of the P/rod floats about a little in the entry of the cylinder 

ie   just to  make sure the pedal is fully returning the pedal back stop may be adjustable by a stop or a brake switch     sorry long time since i played with a mini

10 hours ago, Adrian said:

I used an eazibleed but have since pumped the pedal. If I’m correct to move the fluid reservoir and check for the push rod play I’ve got to tackle that darn Clevis pin!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLASSIC-MINI-BRAKE-AND-CLUTCH-CLEVIS-PIN-FITTING-TOOL/171557947598?hash=item27f1a688ce:g:n~MAAMXQY8JRgtSo Use one of these  and replace split pin with "R" clip :) 

Tony.

32 minutes ago, poppyman said:

Use one of these  and replace split pin with "R" clip :) 

Easy enough to make a tool. I put details and photos of mine on the Mini Forum some time ago. I'll see if I've still got the photos. It certainly makes refitting the pin easier, and as Poppyman says use an 'R' clip rather than a split pin, after all it might be you that has to take it out again at some point.