EP90

iana

Need to get some EP90 oil for the trunnions, diff top up and gearbox top up - is this ok? Or would I be better with a branded product?

Ive got an oil gun I used to use for the trunions, What’s the recommended way to fill / top up the diff / gearbox - is it an oil can or do I need to buy something like the Castrol product and the refill the 1l container.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smith-Allan-EP90-Gear-Oil-API-GL4-GL-4-5-Litre-5L/302556071920?hash=item4671bf47f0:g:kwEAAOSwYXVctfYi&frcectupt=true

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/-/-/-/-/?522777762&0& &gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_9CW77mV4gIVJbXtCh1kFwK2EAQYEyABEgJt9_D_BwE

You definitely need something with a flexible spout to get the oil into where you need it. The access to the diff filler and the gearbox filler (if you haven't modified the gearbox tunnel to give access from inside the car) requires you to move the oil against the force of gravity and so either an oil syringe or a plastic 1l container that you can squeeze (like the Castrol one) is needed. With the 1l container approach you'll find that once you've squeezed out about half a litre of oil you can't get any more up the spout, so you'll need to keep re-filling it. I use this technique as I've yet to find an oil syringe which has a plunger seal resistant to gear oil! In my experience I've used them once, put them on the shelf and then found a few months later that the seal has perished.

I'm pretty sure that providing the oil is API GL-4 it should be OK, but I confess to instinctively sticking to something branded. People have strong opinions about oil on this forum and so I'm sure you'll get some further advice.

Wayne 

easy way to do the  diff is jack and remove rear n/s wheel  then access to the level filler through the chassis is simple with a squeezy bottle

if you dont grasp the GL5 / GL4 variances  stick reliably to EP80/90  GL4     there is also 80/140 which seems good for diffs not gearboxes

while under check the pin in the diff breather is clear ,its above the filler on the top face.

Pete

• Like 1

I bought one of these 'Ultimate speed' 12v pumps from LIDL; it works both ways, as the saying goes, both in and out. Supposedly to suck oil out through the dipstick or whatever it will also drain diffs, or anywhere the plastic pipe enters, and then refills from a container at a nice slow rate so it doesn't blow oil everywhere. It just connects to a car battery and has a separate on/off switch. I was watching a mate use one to drain brake fluid from cars and reckoned it would suit me for refilling gearboxes. £12.99 or thereabouts.

pump.jpg.0e08555861cbbf933dd858d5b1905c75.jpg

The mini grinder I bought from them makes a lot of noise, like a bearing's going, but soldiers on. I have their welding helmet, polisher, oil pump, Dremel mini grinder and blades for my circular saw.

This was the best thing I ever bought from them: moves all kinds of body tubs, furniture, chassis etc round the garage one-handed and acted as a fourth wheel for a sick GT6 a while ago. I had tried to make one but my local hardware shop was selling the castors for more, each, than this entire thing cost me. I need another but can't find any more....

skate.jpg.74c0834f155c44b3dbeb02a3ba8f50c3.jpg