GT6 MK3 Oil Pressure

Dolomitejohn

15 at hot idle (800rpm ish) and 50 at 2000 is pretty much what my fairly fresh (roughly 13k miles now) engine does when properly hot (oil temp gauge coming!).  That's with a 20/60 oil, which hasn't actually made any noticeable difference from the previous 20/50.  I'd like more pressure but the engine seems fit enough and in fact if I try my "test" gauge it shows pressures roughly 5 psi higher - though who knows which gauge is nearer the truth!

My point..... just drive and enjoy!

15 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

My oil pressure gauge tells me I've got 80lbs at start up, do I believe that? No! Calibration on these things is...…...not good.

Mine goes right up to about 100 on startup, after a time it sits about 60 or 70 and stays there during normal driving but on idle it drops right down to maybe 20. Doesn't worry me as the engine was reconditioned and the oil pump and other parts were all new, and the oil pressure light stays off even when idling so I'm happy that the gauge is more of an interest than a warning.

They don't call them 'worry gauges' for nothing.

Hi,

I was not trying to start a Syn/mineral oil debate. Use what you are happy with.

I was trying to say that the Penrite mineral oil 20W60 is kak. SHELSLEY LIGHT 20W-60 (Mineral). The oil should not be used in an engine that was built after 67.

Enough said.

Cheers,

Iain.

Hi Johny,

The oil is classified as API SC oil.  Triumph recommended that the oil for our engines was minimum SD and sometimes SE. I can post the API spec if you can not find with Google?

The viscosity is a different matter.

Cheers,

Iain.

PS. Kak, in this case, means, even if it was free its a poor engine flush.

Edited by Spitfire6
Kak
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Mine goes right up to about 100 on startup, after a time it sits about 60 or 70 and stays there during normal driving but on idle it drops right down to maybe 20. Doesn't worry me as the engine was reconditioned and the oil pump and other parts were all new, and the oil pressure light stays off even when idling so I'm happy that the gauge is more of an interest than a warning.

They don't call them 'worry gauges' for nothing.

Hi Colin,

Maybe use an oil with a higher Viscosity Index VI? They will remain stable and not vary so much in viscosity over the engine temperature range.

Cheers,

Iain.

10 hours ago, Spitfire6 said:

Hi Colin,

Maybe use an oil with a higher Viscosity Index VI? They will remain stable and not vary so much in viscosity over the engine temperature range.

Cheers,

Iain.

That's LUCAS Hot Rod and Classic High Zinc 20/50 which I bought to try out, and only found out the price after the assistant went to the counter with it...  before that I used Castrol GTX all the time, as a traditional sort of thing.

I've read varied reviews of the Lucas and for reasons other than price I won't be using it again, but will refill with Comma Classic 20/50 which was 1/3 of the price.

19 hours ago, johny said:

Iain perhaps they've changed the spec because the one I find on the Penrite site for their Classic Light (mineral) 20/60 shows API SF....

Hi Johny,

Ahh, there appear to be more than two types of Penrite 20W60. I was referring to the SHELSLEY LIGHT 20W-60 (Mineral). I didn't realize there was more than one selection for this viscosity range.

Cheers,

Iain.

11 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I've read varied reviews of the Lucas and for reasons other than price I won't be using it again, but will refill with Comma Classic 20/50 which was 1/3 of the price.

Hi Colin,

I see that Comma have other 20W50 oils that might work out cheaper if you do a lot of miles? The other oils also have a higher viscosity index helping keep oil pressure.

Cheers,

Iain.

Comma's only £16 locally, so I'm happy with that. The Lucas Oil was £50, which I was only told when I had reached the head of a long queue at the till, the assistant had gone and fetched it for me on his recommendation, and I felt too embarrassed in front of everyone else to run and put it back again... 😊

• Like 1