GT6 MK3 Fuel smell

Dolomitejohn

HI All,

Having cleaned out my tank and used Phosphoric Acid to disolve the rust,  I have now noticed a smell of fuel in the car.

I am convinced its not a tank leak,  but I did notice the fuel filler neck rubber hose has some surface only cracks.   Is it possible this hose is leaking fumes ?  Is there a Ethanol resistant alternative ?

Any other ideas ?

Thanks All.

John

Is the breather connected at the filler cap? The tank vents via the neck of the filler cap assembly - should be a breather pipe running from there (above the pipe joining filler to the tank) down through a grommet in the boot floor.

Also worth checking the seal on the sender unit - mine had a habit of leaking when I fully filled the tank until I reseated it.

Gully

I had the tank out last week and filled with acid to convert rust to stable coating. Was continually checking underside for leaks. 

The tank is painted (by me) with hammerite. Again I could seen evidence of a leak.  I can say it smells more with car being in the sun. 

I also checked the sender seal which is OK. The breather is also on the filler neck. Also fitted new filer flap seal. 

The only bit not changed is the filler rubber tube..... Will have to go have another snif to see where strongest smell is.. 

I would suggest that while you are searching for the cause, you treat the inside of the tank with Frosts tank sealant. It is supposed to seal pin holes etc, and while not a cheap treatment, should sort out the inside for the rest of its life.

https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-professional-big-fuel-car-tank-repair-sealer-kit.html

It comes in various sizes and you can also get it via fleabay. Some people have reported problems with it but it is essential that you follow the instructions carefully and that the inside of the tank is TOTALLY dry.

10 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I would suggest that while you are searching for the cause, you treat the inside of the tank with Frosts tank sealant. It is supposed to seal pin holes etc, and while not a cheap treatment, should sort out the inside for the rest of its life.

https://www.frost.co.uk/por15-professional-big-fuel-car-tank-repair-sealer-kit.html

It comes in various sizes and you can also get it via fleabay. Some people have reported problems with it but it is essential that you follow the instructions carefully and that the inside of the tank is TOTALLY dry.

Worked for the tank in my Vitesse plus POR 15 is a great product . Just follow the instructions to the letter 

Paul 

13 hours ago, Dolomitejohn said:

Is it possible this hose is leaking fumes ?  Is there a Ethanol resistant alternative ?

I replaced my GT6 hose last month; there was a smell of petrol in the boot all the time but the tank was refurbished a few years back, so I suspected that the inlet hose was not sealing properly and indeed it looked slightly short between filler cap and tank.

I bought marine-quality hose from the Bay of E under the details: Marine Fuel Pipe / Hose ISO 7840 51 mm 2" 50 mm Filler Pipe 500 mm long FP500.5 which cost me about £14 for a metre, and got this thing through the post looking like a horse's handbrake, but it's metal reinforced, hard to cut, and proof against any of today's fuels. It's a better fit than the original pipe but almost totally inflexible, so doesn't bend as easily, and so can be a b****r to fit in a confined space.

DSCF6316.jpg.204c309fd86339182003a0331abe6504.jpg

It's not just ethanol.     Petrol today, especially higher octane fuels, has other additives to raise the octane number in the abscence of lead.  They are all highly volatile, which is why fuel goes 'stale' if not used quickly, and older forms of rubber hose are permeable to the vapours, which is why the fuel smell is so common these days.  Look for hose that is labelled "R9", although anyone on eBay can SAY their hose is R9

See: http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/fuelhose.htm

John