Sump drain plug

daverclasper

Hi. Mine has the magnetic one. Just drained the oil. Probably for the about the 4th time, though just noticed there is a few mm gap between the sump and the plug, hex face when tightened.

I know the threads are tapered for a seal (therefore no copper washer copper?), so is this ok.

Thanks, Dave

None of my earlier square plugs have fitted right to the end thread; nor the magnetic one I replaced the original with, on either Heralds or the GT6. As Rob says they're a taper fit and should be tight long before the last thread. Of course, just to be different, the TR7 goes right to the end and uses a copper washer.

That looks to be a right-to-the-end type of screw-in, different to mine, but I may be wrong - hard to tell from the photo. With that kind I'd use a copper washer. I was always wary that the magnet might be too long, especially in  the diff,  but mine always tighten fully long before it ever hits anything. 

33 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

That looks to be a right-to-the-end type of screw-in, different to mine, but I may be wrong - hard to tell from the photo. With that kind I'd use a copper washer. I was always wary that the magnet might be too long, especially in  the diff,  but mine always tighten fully long before it ever hits anything. 

Yes it’s not tapered . I’ve fitted one to the diff as well 

Paul

Think its safe to  say the orig,  square headed  plugs are tapered the holes are  straight tapped  sealing by interference of the threads

The hex plugs are straight cut with and undercut to end the threads at the head , these need a washer to  seal  but do need a flat face to seat against

Pete

yes only £6.98   and thats more than enough for a drain plug buy a cheap pot magnet and stick to the filter  any magnet

who would spend £16 on a sump plug to gain very little that cant be trapped in the filter 

would seem to be another must have you just dont need .

the engines lasted 40+ years without one  ..bit late worrying now.

pete

35 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes only £6.98   and thats more than enough for a drain plug buy a cheap pot magnet and stick to the filter  any magnet

Just dismantle an old speaker and use the magnet from that.... make sure it won't fall off when driving, tho....