Spitfire door panel liners

cggs

I have obtained a pair computer pre-cut polythene sheet door liners for my Spitfire.  The precut sheet clip holes match exactly to the clip insertion holes on the door board rather than to the holes on the door for the clip prong insertion.  It is therefore impossible to tape them to the door and have the hole line up. This implies that they appear to be designed to attach to the rear of the door panel itself prior to clipping that panel to the door frame.  My understanding was that the plastic liner should be taped to the door itself and the door panel fitted after to that.  Which is correct and does it matter anyway?  

They were originally masticked to the door itself, but not in any way that would keep moisture inside the door. I bought a roll of heavy clear polythene for my Herald doors and will just cut that to shape and stick in place, probably with silicone or the like. 

Thanks. That what I thought.  I have done one side with heavy duty rubble sack polythene stuck down with double sided tape.  I will send the precut items back as unfit for purpose. Although the seal is not perfect what with door handle gaps etc it seems to make more sense to stick them to the door rather than merely to attach them to the door board to which I have added a coat of clear varnish anyway.

You also might consider putting twin stick tape on the door around the window winder, door pull and door handle (as well as around the edge) to add a better seal. Bit of a pain when you need to get it off but adds a bit more resistance to the damp.