Foregn visitor

dougbgt6

I got an email from Clive Robinson, he's in the South African Triumph Sports Car Club and will be holidaying in the UK in June. He found our web site and East Berks is the nearest area to his destination so he's coming to our June meeting. He has a mk3 Spitfire and there are 80+ in his club area, some pictures below. I've got the East Berks faithful mugging up on these Triumph thingies so we can give some semblance of knowledge when he arrives. 1.thumb.JPG.cf79029e059beee53d7bb1a5179fb2e4.JPG2.thumb.JPG.03ca3754f6708df27cbf3573a5768a67.JPG3.JPG.44f1d2a16dfc1477c940e20edeb0a5de.JPG4.thumb.JPG.0dbd5c522935f62e9701dc42a953c105.JPG

Doug

Back in the day, the bonnet was connected to the handbrake by a small cable and bracket assembly, so that once the car stopped and the handbrake was applied, the bonnet opened. This assembly is no longer obtainable so it doesn't happen as often, but you'll still see it sometimes at shows where really dedicated owners have managed to find the elusive assembly, or a good replacement.

It also creates a vortex whereby numbers of people are pulled towards it and stand very close, often with the urge to touch things.

Happens every time I go for MOT and the tester opens the bonnet.

I've always taken it as a sign the car had broken down.  I just walk past shaking my head, thinking .oO(If only they'd spend half the time the spent polishing the engine on making it reliable...)Oo.

Quite a few broken-down TRs and Stags at SEM last weekend.

19 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

I never understand the need to open the bonnet is it some sort of fetishism ??  Im missing out 

Pete

I bought my modern in 2009. I have never lifted the bonnet on it or seen the engine.. I assume that there is one. I just drive it and (up to now) it gets me from A to B. If I want to play, I lift the bonnet of the Spitfire. Much more fun and you can sit on the pneumatic rests provided by Triumph (the tyres)

56 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

I’ve seem the plastic covers of my new car. I had to put washer fluid in. Checked the oil whilst I was at it. 😂

Yep, had the bonnet up a few times on the modern for washer fluid refills. Never seen the engine.