Topping up gearbox / overdrive

iana

Just topping up the gearbox on the vitesse, Ive put about 1/2l of oil into the box, is this normal, I dont know when it was last topped up? It looks like theres a bit of a leak but only the odd drop that Ive noticed on the floor.

Whilst the tunnel is out is there any other maintenace / lubrication tasks that are worth doing before I put the tunnel back?

I’ve just checked the gear lever and I think a new bush kit is required.

F9F62BE2-B246-4E3D-9EA0-6E2025F39B51.jpeg

the combined capacity of GB + OD is  2.4  pints   so it needed a top up

whilst the tunnel is off you could check the throw of the OD solenoid 

and clean the OD filter Gauze and the ring magnets 

add an extention pipe to the clutch slave so you can bleed it from the engine bay

make sure there is a 7/16" washer fitted between the speedo pinion hsg and the angle drive , these must not have any pre load or the drive will fail quickly. its  any washer used as a spacer.

Oh and cut a tunnel   hole to access the GB filler plug for next time 

pete

Pete,  thanks, the plan for next year is a fibre glass tunnel - is it still worth doing an access on the old fibre one?

I think there is a small leak from the top of the gearbox, Ive cleaned the gearbox so I will be able to tell properly next time, unless its an easy fix / check? Having looked at it again the leak looks like it could be the switch on the top.

Not sure I understand the 7/16" washer comment - really silly question now - is that a washer that fits inside the knurled nut of the angle drive - also should the nut be tight as mine moves if you move the cable - seems wrong to me.

Yes just slips inside , stops the drive bottoming out , the knurled nut is like that to be finger tight dont wraunch it up 

There is a oil  seal on the pinion  but depending on evolution can be hard to change as some shafts are held in with a  ' sod to remove 'pin

So a bit of movement/rotation  is not overly concerning and it should not   leak as there not supposed to be oil in there.

Well maybe a mist,  

Make the hole its good practice and you can make the new one a mk2

Pete

the switch has a thin fibre washer  a smear of sealer will suffice,  the switch only needs a good  nip , any gorilla tightening will wreck it

you can get a leak if the 0 ring in the tower has worn, ( where the remote shaft exits the top hsg.)

but they are hopeless to replace, they do come in the remote bush kit, you have to strip out the fwd section the 0 ring sits in a groove the shaft passes through them , but most chop the new 0 rings when inserting the shaft and the job is now worse than before ....leave them alone !!

yours has the double cam in front of the remote one for OD one for reverse , ...old design but cant leak  !!!

Pete

on top oft selector bit under the remote,

there a wee wol that lets it breath

oil mist does come out of there,after a while,it looks like a leak

esp if yer actually using yer car alot, as oil gets hotter

moer vapours come of = moer oil mist = moer oil on side oft box

so  no a leak as such !!

Me self, I bung a rag in there to catch the oil mist

and if yer gonna fill GB / diff noo an then, get yan of thee,s

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=oil+filling+gun&_sacat=0&_sop=15

• Thanks 1

Maybe something for the future. You can cut a hole in the gearbox cover to get at the oil filler plug. The piece that come out of the cover can then be used to make a cover for the hole. I use bit and pieces from my socket set to remove and do up the plug.

Just an idea.

Dave

100_1838.JPG

100_1839.JPG

100_2197.JPG

100_1840.JPG

• 2 months later...

Last time I topped the gearbox up I had intended to replace the tunnel with a modern grp one but couldnt get one in time, I am now getting the seats repaired so decided to replace the tunnel why the car has less in it - Im fitting a grp with a side access panel so filling / checking will be more straight forward from now on. I removed the tunnel today and it appears theres still an oil leak, I think its either the top gasket or where the gear change comes out of the box. I was also checking for breather vents - where are they located. Is there a guide to fitting the rebush kit or is it fairly obvious once you start?

Is this the breather?

InkedIMG_0752_LI.jpg

Johny I checked that earlier and they're all tight (may not be torqued to correct setting) but were tight  - the front 2 nuts and threaded stud were coated in oil so I'd hoped thats was all that was wrong - would a drop of thread lock stop them coming loose?

If I was rebuilding and had everything clean I would threadlock them but with it in situ and oily I dont think itll achieve much. I see that GT6M described where the breather hole was in a previous post and I must admit Ive never checked mine.... 

some  below the oil line have a copper washer on .... or should have  

slacken / remove nuts add sealer  re tighten   hand tight . its ally  no gorilla  required 

Pete

OD is an open simple  roundish breather on top of the OD unit under the remote hsg.  it can leak due to splash  . its not very clever

i added a tube on mine to dissipate any leakage

there are other holes in the gearbox top cover but the OD one is much bigger and its all in a common space

pete

on early 1600 3 sync  OD   its not listed at all   seems to be introduced   only on the 2 ltr  supplement

why  on earth would you want to plug it ,   with an OD    its a common case  one breather or two,  so what 

the OD ones can spill anyway ,  they are not baffled from splash 

Pete