Leaf Spring Refurbishment

24 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes a very wrong spring,,  depends just what you ordered , to fit that you need a a swing box  a top plastic block, and a bottom clamp plate 

as used on MkIV and 1500  

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-rear-suspension-road-spring

If i ordered the bits yours talking about would this spring fit mine or am I just better off getting GB Springs to get me the correct spring?

Wait... I really think that you should let us look at some photos or you could end up with the wrong bits for the right spring or the wrong spring with the right bits. It will take time and effort the get it out but if this goes in wrong you could end up righting off the car or injuring someone. Hate to be a pessimist, but this has to be done right. Take this from one who was horrified at what was done to mine, and then given an mot pass.

3 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Wait... I really think that you should let us look at some photos or you could end up with the wrong bits for the right spring or the wrong spring with the right bits. It will take time and effort the get it out but if this goes in wrong you could end up righting off the car or injuring someone. Hate to be a pessimist, but this has to be done right. Take this from one who was horrified at what was done to mine, and then given an mot pass.

No problem and i completely agree.

I'll take it out (wont be today), photograph BOTH and post them on here.

Thanks again gents, I always appreciate you guys and the help you give.

SP

3 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

Check what you gave against this parts diagram..

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiii&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiii-rear-suspension

but, I'm sure that Pete is correct, that you have a spring for a mkiv. It looks very much like mine. Mine is held with 4 studs, yours should have 6 and a different plate fixing system.

Agreed, I'm taking it out in the morning when my cousin is free again, you and Pete seem to be 100% correct, it looks like the wrong spring

I'll get back to you both in the monring

As a slight drift, when I found my horror story, I was actually re-bushing the back end when I spotted the way the spring had been fitted. After the spring re-fit and new (I used) Polybush, the car handled and rode soooo much better. When you get it sorted, you will be pleased with the ride, but even more you will be exstatic because YOU have done it, believe me.

1 minute ago, Badwolf said:

As a slight drift, when I found my horror story, I was actually re-bushing the back end when I spotted the way the spring had been fitted. After the spring re-fit and new (I used) Polybush, the car handled and rode soooo much better. When you get it sorted, you will be pleased with the ride, but even more you will be exstatic because YOU have done it, believe me.

I've been involved with most of the work on the car, I'm not a mechanic but I dont mind trying stuff as long as I have people around who can help and the people on here have been great with me. I really appreciate the support on here.

I ordered a bush pack and pad as suggested earlier in this thread, i now realise that stuff that I was advised to get may be for a mk4 also as I don't think the rear spring pad I ordered isnt needed for the mk3. 

This has been an expensive piece of work

when it comes to order more bits to use what you have been supplied  two glaring headaches  

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-rear-axle-outer-axle-shafts

your car will have std drive shafts , early mk4 had similar   later and 1500 had shafts 1/"2 longer   the spring length is made to match the variance , if you get these un matched  then camber is going to be wildly wrong 

so i would get the right mk3 spring avoids any further hassle https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiii&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiii-rear-suspension

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiii&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiii-rear-suspension

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

when it comes to order more bits to use what you have been supplied  two glaring headaches  

https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-rear-axle-outer-axle-shafts

your car will have std drive shafts , early mk4 had similar   later and 1500 had shafts 1/"2 longer   the spring length is made to match the variance , if you get these un matched  then camber is going to be wildly wrong 

so i would get the right mk3 spring avoids any further hassle https://www.canleyclassics.com/?catalogue=triumph-spitfire-mkiii&diagram=triumph-spitfire-mkiii-rear-suspension

Pete

ok thanks pete, I'll basically get GB Springs to take this Mk 4 one back as he's supplied it incorrectly. My emails to him state Mk3  so he I'm sure he'll take it back.

SP

so here's the pics I mentioned.

1st one is the OLD spring which we thought was new (we'd got it in a job lot of new and excellent condition stuff) seems in really good condition but the car was still really low when it was fitted, no higher than the old original one.

IMG_2184.thumb.JPG.6d9cef098ef2f273a38bdb34947a7c45.JPG

2nd pic is the new spring from GB SPRINGS.

IMG_2185.thumb.JPG.25d79badf507be153f8c4c33242feea8.JPG

3rd pic is the springs side by side

IMG_2186.thumb.JPG.66ea4abb68115cc74f2ff36569a00157.JPG

and the 4th is a close up of the centre part of both springs

IMG_2187.thumb.JPG.c2afd08dac3aedf6b2eab44ef8f941ac.JPG

SP

You can clearly see how much thicker the bottom leaf is, hence the reason why it won't clamp into the diff. That's probably based on a Spitfire swing spring, not the GT6.

Can you send them the spec of the GT6 spring, or even the original, to have a replacement made?

You may want to consider re-furbing the 'flat' spring. I think you will find that there are rubber buffers berween each leaf which are easy, if fiddly to replace. Also replace the eyelet bushes at each end. Easier when the spring is off the car. Pete/Colin will correct me here, but you may be better off fitting a lfting/lowering block with the spring. The one in tbe photo doesn't look in such bad condition. Mine had a broken leaf so had to go

To be honest, this spring issue has annoyed me for too long. I originally replaced the shocks thinking they would resolve the low rear end issue (told you I didn't know what I was doing). The new shocks were fitted but I quickly found out they were faulty, sent back and replaced and refitted.

Low rear end was still there so I replaced the original spring on the car with one we thought was either new or in excellent condition that we bought part of a job lot. Still the low rear end was there so i took the decision to buy the spring from GB Springs and of course after waiting for Covid to be over to get it fitted and here we are to day with the wrong spring.

I've laid the money out for the spring so I'm happy for GB Springs to either send me the correct spring OR refund my money so I can buy a new one elsewhere.

I can't be arsed finding someone to refurb the old one, Ive got the frame of mind that fitting a completely new one should resolve the issue and if that doesn't cure the low rear end I can then safely take a can of petrol and a match to the car and send it off down the A6 towards Wicksteeds Park.

Alight.

That's a shame!!

I would simply send the whole order back to GB, take a deep breath or two and, as it is a fairly straight forward job, especially for a non-mechanic... like me... to sort out the spring that you have. There are times when we have all found it just too much. When the bolt threads strip, the spanner slips and the knuckles get skinned, but, believe me, from the worst mechanic in the world... it is worth it in the end... honestly.

1 hour ago, s99sdp said:

I can't be arsed finding someone to refurb the old one, Ive got the frame of mind that fitting a completely new one should resolve the issue and if that doesn't cure the low rear end I can then safely take a can of petrol and a match to the car and send it off down the A6 towards Wicksteeds Park.

Alight.

Coffee and biccies works for me, a few little swearies then go to something else for a time. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. I've been in the same frame of mind with my Herald Estate, every time I think I'm getting there, there's something else. THEY WON'T DEFEAT US!

I agree with both of you. A deep breath and a cup of tea solves most of the worlds problems in my eyes.

I've already email GB Springs so I'll chat with them tomorrow. I'm sure I'll have a new spring in place by next weekend.

I do count my blessings, the car runs really well bless it when I take it out so once I get over this little hump it will be onwards and upwards.

what rear wheel camber did you have before you started having nightmare with the springs ???? you have the old spring , a replacement of unknown and a wrong un  so far 

im begining to think its something else driving the lower rear   like has someone  fitted long shafts  ???

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

what rear wheel camber did you have before you started having nightmare with the springs ???? you have the old spring , a replacement of unknown and a wrong un  so far 

im begining to think its something else driving the lower rear   like has someone  fitted long shafts  ???

Pete

Hi Pete, What shafts do you mean?

The car has done 30k from new and almost everything on it was original when we got it. It was just the bodywork that was a mess, everything else was in good condition and had been coated with a very thick layer of sealer underneath.

SP

Hi Johny,

I genuinely don't think anything has been installed incorrectly just by the way the car sits and looks from the rear. It seems I have many pictures just none square on from the rear to show you.

To respond to Pete's question,(sorry Pete, I forgot to answer)  the camber doesn't look adverse at all and the tyres are wearing evenly. I've seen a spitfire with a weird camber on the back , it looked like it was jacked up a little bit so I'm thinking mine is ok however you could be right. Your hunches are normally spot on.

SP