Leaf Spring Refurbishment

They seem to  crop up frequently  on  the U.S site “triumph experience .com”

but until now I don’t recall any mention about them  here.Maybe I just missed them.

They seem interesting idea.

- anyone had any experience of them ?

18 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi,

Our colonial cousins recommend these to fix all spring problems:

Monroe MA785 Max-Air Adjust Shock Absorber

£130 a pair on Amazon.

Cheers.

Iain.

Not really fix the problem just put it on pause it till the now overworked shocks or there mounts fail.

Adrian

UPDATE:

Morning all. Yesterday we attempted to put the spring in and as I had the bushes for the rear radius arms we thought we'd tackle this at the same time so once this was all bolted up it could stay bolted up.

The spring was really difficult to get in to position and bolt up, we assumed that with this one being new it may just be less slack and hopefully 'tighter', after all thats why I'm swapping the old one out. If I hadn't been so eager to install it I'd have rested it on the old one to see if there actually was a difference in the arc of the spring between the old and the new.

That said, it's in the car but we has to cut off one of the bolts from the radius arm so we couldn't complete the job GRRRRRRRR.

I've ordered 2 new bolt sets (just in case I ruin one when I try to fit it), all in all £1.65 from Canleys, so annoying to have to wait but this is ALWAYS the way, the last bolt has to be cut off and no replacement to hand.

So I'll keep you on the edges of your sofas for another couple of days I'm afraid gents.

Hats off to Canley Classics, spring delivered next day, hopefully GB Springs collect soon so I can have my money back.

SP

22 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

Hi,

Our colonial cousins recommend these to fix all spring problems:

Monroe MA785 Max-Air Adjust Shock Absorber

£130 a pair on Amazon.

Cheers.

Iain.

Iain, Vanadium, et al - yes I had the Monroe Max-Air shocks on the back of my Spit, not to cure a sagging spring but so I could load up the bikes on a towbar carrier and luggage too for touring. They certainly work ... until one of your Monroes fails and you notice some sort of oil in the air pipe where you pump them up. This happened after only a couple of years or so. Perhaps I was unlucky and thousands of other Max-Air owners have no problem, but I won't be buying them again!

There is another company does exactly the same type of air adjustable height shock (it's intended for a Corvette Stingray - just happens to fit a Spit). I haven't tried them yet but when I do I see Rock Auto have them. They are Gabriel Hijackers - apparently it's part number 49304 for Spit rear.

Adrian, these air-assist shocks are designed to raise the height by "helping" the springs on a Corvette or any of the cars other shocks in the range fit (Monroe and Gabriel do loads of different ones). A Spit back end is so light I don't see it as being a problem.

Cheers, Richard

Edited by rlubikey
Don't you hate it when you reply, not noticing there's another page!!!
  • Like 1

WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!!

Spring replacement finally done! Replaced the bushes on the rear radius arms at the same time and I have the say the difference in the ride is amazing. I need to drag a mate out for a ride over some bumps so both sides settle down a little. I didn't have much time for a test run and when I went out I still had the inspection cover off the from behind the seat.

Extremely pleased that the bum droop has gone (on the car) and the front sits much better as well. All in all the Spring, rear shocks and radius arm bushes cost about £220 but the difference it makes to the ride of the car. Wow. I just hope we did all the nuts up tight.  :)

IMG_2246.JPG

IMG_2247.JPG

IMG_2248.JPG

• Like 3

a good result after a good headache 

we have all got Tee shirts for one job one or another over the years   its the trait /fun  of running a classic 

dont say too much its out there listening ready to get you when you dont expect it , normally in a white shirt and no tools 

Pete

Thanks has to go out yet again for the people on this site for kindly sharing their knowledge & experience.

Idiots like me would be digging deeper in to their wallet and be deeper in depression without input from you guys. It's very much appreciated as always.

SP

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Really glad that its all worked out. Looks really good.  Did you get your money back for the other spring?

They finally collected it on Friday and its being delivered today so hopefully, I'll have my money back soon 🤞

SP

• Like 1