Cost of body repairs

PeterH

Last year I managed to reverse into a post in my modern MG3. The damage was a cracked bumper, broken light cluster and a shallow dent in the tailgate (reversing sensors don't work if you roll back out of gear ! ). Expecting the bumper to be £100 or so, I claimed on the insurance. I never saw a cost as the insurer dealt direct with their approved bodyshop. As the Spitfire insurance is due I though I'd better own up to having made a claim. No problem but Peter James wanted to know the cost, so I had to ask my other insurer for it. I was staggered - £1550. No wonder premiums are so high.

Why did you even bother claiming if you thought it would £ 100 or so?  Your excess is probably more than this?  Your claim will be adding to your premium(s) for years.......

As for your comment about insurance repair costs..... Absolutely - it's nuts!  They insist on using new genuine parts and the replacement of parts that could reasonably be re-used or repaired.  Sometimes large panels are replaced to eradicate a fairly minor dent causing (in my view) far more damage to the vehicle structure in the process.

The local body shop I've been using is quite frank about his approach to insurance work - it's 3 x the cost of a "private job", not least because the insurance lot usually make him wait months for this money.  He also reckons that nothing that involves paint esp. metallics (that an aerosol match-can won't cover) will be less than £200 and advises the use of companies like chips away and dent doctor for the small stuff - clearly he doesn't want the hassle!  He did a nice job on my GT6 though.

Nick

You get what you pay for in terms of body repairs. I require work done to the rear of the GT6; possibly a complete rear panel and maybe a new boot floor; the boot floor is solid but a bit contoured after the wheel came off last August. I've already bought the panels, long ago, so the cost will be work only plus repaint.

Last time I had bodywork on one of my cars I mulled over what he might charge for weeks in advance... maybe £800, maybe even £1200.... if he says £1800 I'll cry....

It was £2300. A lovely lovely job, but oh the pain of paying....!!

45 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

They insist on using new genuine parts and the replacement of parts that could reasonably be re-used or repaired. 

Nick

In France now the gouvernment have made it a legal requirement that repairers have to offer the use of second hand parts, for body & trim at least, where possible to reduce the cost. a step in the right direction.

36 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Why did you even bother claiming if you thought it would £ 100 or so?  Your excess is probably more than this?  Your claim will be adding to your premium(s) for years.......

My local independent  bodyshop gave me a quote of about £600 for bumper + light + dent + paint, as this is was well over the excess and as I naively thought I've got 'Protected No Claims' it was worth making a claim. But now I don't quite know what the 'Protected' No Claims is worth as both premiums have gone up as a result.

If you can afford not to go to the insurers (for anything but the most expensive of jobs) then stay clear of them.

Although we do not have NCB on our classics any policy with protected NCB will simply have a hike on the policy premium. - you will not win.

Roger

1 minute ago, PeterH said:

My local independent  bodyshop gave me a quote of about £600 for bumper + light + dent + paint, as this is was well over the excess and as I naively thought I've got 'Protected No Claims' it was worth making a claim. But now I don't quite know what the 'Protected' No Claims is worth as both premiums have gone up as a result.

Hi Peter,

The protected NCB is like a legal con.  You think you are safe but no!! they simply hike up the premium. AND the premium rarely comes down.

Roger

2 hours ago, PeterH said:

My local independent  bodyshop gave me a quote of about £600 for bumper + light + dent + paint

Yes, this is probably about right.

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

If you can afford not to go to the insurers (for anything but the most expensive of jobs) then stay clear of them.

This!  Of course, as my daily driver is probably only worth £ 600..... if I'm feeling optimistic!

2 hours ago, poppyman said:

You even get stuffed by the insurance companies even if someone runs into you and the claim is paid by the third party....... Can never understand that??

Tony.

I had this debate with my insurance company earlier in the year when my premium went up after someone drove into the back of me last year. Was all covered off by the other driver's insurance and I had protected no claims, but apparently having been involved in an accident makes it more likely that I'll have another one according to the algorithms!

Gully

1 hour ago, Gully said:

I had this debate with my insurance company earlier in the year when my premium went up after someone drove into the back of me last year. Was all covered off by the other driver's insurance and I had protected no claims, but apparently having been involved in an accident makes it more likely that I'll have another one according to the algorithms!

Gully

Exactly what happened to me Gully, and same answer off insurance company.....

Tony.

12 hours ago, Gully said:

This isn't the case with your incident, nor probably Tony's nor Colin's, but...

Some drivers behave in a way that invites "not their fault" accidents. Like the ones who insist on aggressively claiming their "right of way" at a junction where their exit is blocked (and hence they don't have right of way) and push through as the other driver (who technically should have right of way despite the simplistic reading being used) edges forward. Or those who, as was once said to me when a van bumped into my modern, "park at the scene of the accident".

Some people are good at avoiding accidents, others get involved in a lot of "not their fault" ones. If you apply the statistics naively (and with a view to hiking premiums because it make you more money)...

On Rob's theme, A couple of years ago I was driving along a local road where cars were parked on the other side. Just before I got level with the front of one of the parked cars a car coming the other way just pulled out in front of me. I avoided an accident by jamming on the brakes hard. The other car stopped when it was level with me and the driver lowered the window and said I should give way to on coming traffic! So I asked him if he was a foreigner as he was driving on the wrong side of the road. That really wound him up.

Dave

the trouble is the risk applies to making or being involved , the fact youre on the road makes you a possible ,thats the risk we all take

and   NCB is a claim bonus not a  not my fault bonus.  have to say ive been with PJ for years and one accident and have no reason to shop around depends on the loading of the modern but the classic is less than peanuts as the modern takes the brunt of the policy

if your modern is a high end then the balance is less favourable 

Pete