Forum advice and Nationality

Unkel Kunkel

There seem to be  different approaches in requesting advice and in the way people respond.

The differences seem to be further marked by nationality.

The British   seem to be detailed and  almost deferentially meek  as if embarrassed at the thought they may be accused  of “asking stupid questions.” The replies are almost always polite  and encouraging.

The Americans largely follow a  broadly similar pattern but can more confident and  emphatic: “ Need help Now - URGENT!” , “What’s This ?”.They  show less reticence about revealing their ignorance  (and are certainly  not  constrained  by any conventions of grammar and spelling).

Equipped with my basic “ HP Sauce bottle” French, I was struggling to read replies  to someone asking on a French veteran car site  what he could to repair the totally shattered remains of a crankcase of which  the sad chap had provided a picture.

One reply was  brutally brief, direct and dismissive -  and typically Gallic, perhaps.

”Porquois? Quand c’est Mort , c’est Mort!”

No doubt delivered with pursed lips and a sideways flick of the head.

Vandium, or may I call you Van?

Deferential disappears as you get older, a life time exposed to people who should never have got out the gene pool knocks it out of you. Replies here are patient, polite, encouraging, until THEY WON'T TEST WHAT YOU TELL THEM TOO!!!  :angry:

We make allowances for grammar and spelling, our best guru is after all, Uncle Pete. :lol:

Shortly we won't be allowed to speak to persons of the French persuasion, so that's not a problem.

Doug 

OMG where is this going  

I had some good friends when I worked in Lyon  I got a round of applause for sauce bottle french explaining why I was seconded to 

The french factory, having said that some guys used the same lumberjack shirt for a month and it made youre eyes water

at 50  mtrs,   and they get heated when the lack of words in the vocabulary prevents explaining problems without a lot of arm waving and gesticulations   

And I never ate anyone other than shergar

Pete

I went on a training course to Italy some years ago - and in the north the speciality is horse - there was even a life sized status of one outside one of the restaurants we went to - some of the guys refused to even try Horse meat. I found it ok - quite flavoursome but tougher than beef (But not mega tough) I'd eat it again.

I think we should call Vanadium "V", that's the elements symbol.

Americans do have an urgency about their requests for guidance, but some are as (quick edit - almost as!) knowledgable and diagnostic as our Pete.     But they have a tendency to ask the equivalent of "my car won't go - what's wrong?"   No details, one must assume it is one represented by the forum name, nothing about what isn't going, nothing has been tried out or tested to elucidate the problem, or help the distant guru.      Yet those gurus jump in, usually to recommend a gas tank full of "Seafoam", or else to use "Marvel Mystery Oil", whihc apparently is better than snake oil for every ill that fate inflicts on the automobile.

But I see the same on Facebook, so perhaps if they have been using social media longer than we, then they have fallen under its influence.

J

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

Yet those gurus jump in, usually to recommend a gas tank full of "Seafoam", or else to use "Marvel Mystery Oil", whihc apparently is better than snake oil for every ill that fate inflicts on the automobile.

When I was having broadband problems I used the BT forum a lot, but all I ever got was the same reply: "turn the router off, leave it for fifteen minutes, then restart."

Some of the so-called 'forum gurus' with tens of thousands of posts and the same number of 'thanks' had used this same line for 99% of their replies. I could try it on this forum, I suppose.

"My Triumph won't start." "Try it again." "Thanks! I will. You're amazing!"

8 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

When I was having broadband problems I used the BT forum a lot, but all I ever got was the same reply: "turn the router off, leave it for fifteen minutes, then restart."

Some of the so-called 'forum gurus' with tens of thousands of posts and the same number of 'thanks' had used this same line for 99% of their replies. I could try it on this forum, I suppose.

"My Triumph won't start." "Try it again." "Thanks! I will. You're amazing!"

Or have some evil delight in  just posting ”Quand   c’est mort, c’est mort!”