Clips for brake and fuel lines

Adrian Saunders

Hello Adrian,

An alternative is to use P clips - mainly sold in metric size I believe. 

The benefit of these is that you have the rubber cushioning around the pipe rather than metals of a different type "arguing with each other" !!

5mm for 3/16" and 8mm for 5/16" - the P clips just need to nip the hose lightly to secure in place.

I've used them and found to be absolutely fine.

Regards.

Richard.

4 minutes ago, classiclife said:

Hello Adrian,

An alternative is to use P clips - mainly sold in metric size I believe. 

The benefit of these is that you have the rubber cushioning around the pipe rather than metals of a different type "arguing with each other" !!

5mm for 3/16" and 8mm for 5/16" - the P clips just need to nip the hose lightly to secure in place.

I've used them and found to be absolutely fine.

Regards.

Richard.

Good afternoon Richard. How did you fix the P clips to the chassis? Space is limited with body on. 

7 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I can never get the hang of those plastic push-fit brake pipe clips. I've no idea how they're meant to fit so always end up breaking them.

The metal ones along the chassis of the Herald work for me ok though.

I tried my metal ones off the chassis, still too tight for the 3/16” line. I know I can get more but I don’t want the same problem. Where did you get yours from? 

Hmm, I’m not sure exactly what I did differently tonight but, both lines are in the clips now. I did check the clips with a 3/16” drill bit before fitting them and they are a very close fit. I think that I was just more patient tonight. I do however need a different clip at hole adjacent to the flexible brake line bracket. I need it to stand-off from the chassis, not pull the tube right to it. I would use one of the plastic, push-in type but the hole is too big at 5/16”. It’s 1/4” for the push-ins. 

Anybody have a suggestion? 

Does the 5/16 refer to the hole it fits into, or the pipe it secures?

My chassis clips are mostly original Herald versions from various cars over the years, but I remember buying a bag of new ones from eBay quite a few years ago for next to nothing and I've also dipped into those over the years. 

Some of the plastic brake or fuel pipe clips come in two parts; a base that pushes into the chassis or bodywork and then a long-stemmed clip that fits into the base, and clicks into place. Those are easy.

It's the other one-piece ones that I always end up breaking... 

clip.jpg.a9c3b2f12fa85fa2b6611653d2f769f2.jpg

Those one-piece ones are just two-piece ones supplied coupled. The technique for installing them is tricky because you have to split the two halves, re-locate and insert... with a single sharp tap of a hammer. It's not too hard on the bench but if you're trying to fit them to the side of a chassis rail with the body in place... well, yeah.

2 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Does the 5/16 refer to the hole it fits into, or the pipe it secures?

My chassis clips are mostly original Herald versions from various cars over the years, but I remember buying a bag of new ones from eBay quite a few years ago for next to nothing and I've also dipped into those over the years. 

Some of the plastic brake or fuel pipe clips come in two parts; a base that pushes into the chassis or bodywork and then a long-stemmed clip that fits into the base, and clicks into place. Those are easy.

It's the other one-piece ones that I always end up breaking... 

clip.jpg.a9c3b2f12fa85fa2b6611653d2f769f2.jpg

The Ford one pictured suits 5/16” tube and a 5/16” mounting hole. Our chassis’s have 1/4” holes in between the front and small centre outrigger for plastic clips and then 5/16” holes from the small outrigger to the rear for the metal clips. 

34 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Those one-piece ones are just two-piece ones supplied coupled. The technique for installing them is tricky because you have to split the two halves, re-locate and insert... with a single sharp tap of a hammer. It's not too hard on the bench but if you're trying to fit them to the side of a chassis rail with the body in place... well, yeah.

I think the design intent is that they are simply inserted in the hole and given a sharp, straight tap to break the join and install the clip head in the collet in one....

With a bit of practice this is just about possible where you have a straight and unrestricted shot at the hole.  Otherwise..... “well, yeah” is right on the money.

As the the original question, the original metal clips work fine, but are really tight to install. Originally intended for steel pipe I reckon, which you could put a lot more force on without bending. I fitted some recently and used a 3” length of 10mm rod to follow the brake pipe into the clip (from the open end) to force it open enough for the brake pipe to snap into place.

Nick

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

I think the design intent is that they are simply inserted in the hole and given a sharp, straight tap to break the join and install the clip head in the collet in one....

With a bit of practice this is just about possible where you have a straight and unrestricted shot at the hole.  Otherwise..... “well, yeah” is right on the money.

As the the original question, the original metal clips work fine, but are really tight to install. Originally intended for steel pipe I reckon, which you could put a lot more force on without bending. I fitted some recently and used a 3” length of 10mm rod to follow the brake pipe into the clip (from the open end) to force it open enough for the brake pipe to snap into place.

Nick

Indeed, the clips are right on size. I got my tubes in last night. Just got to get the rear end clipped with this Ford clip and I’m done. 

3 hours ago, dave.vitesse said:

The plastic plug in clips, as what Colin showed, were used on the 1970's Triumphs models - Toledo, Dolomite and TR7 etc.

Dave

This is true Dave, but, they go into a 1/4” hole, it’s a 5/16” hole for the metal clips at the rear. 

On 20/05/2019 at 19:55, Adrian Saunders said:

This is true Dave, but, they go into a 1/4” hole, it’s a 5/16” hole for the metal clips at the rear. 

I fully understand the situation re the size of the holes. It's just Colin may well have a horde of valuable parts for other Triumphs!

Dave 

On 20/05/2019 at 16:48, dave.vitesse said:

The plastic plug in clips, as what Colin showed, were used on the 1970's Triumphs models - Toledo, Dolomite and TR7 etc.

Dave

That one pictured was indeed for the TR7, but my last Herald brake pipe kit - too lazy to make one up myself, as it wasn't for my own car - had the same clips supplied, only this time in green plastic. I use the metal ones on my own Heralds and the pipes do fit! Just don't get confused, as I've done in the past, and stick the wrong corner into the chassis, then wonder why the pipes won't fit at all...

DSCF6483.jpg.1e79139f58badfa44bb8ce117c90a1ef.jpg

• Like 1