Replacement sports exhaust query

Petegt6mk3

Hi Pete, club shop sell everything you need for more noise. you must be a young member as the old crowd like to quieten them down. Full sports for maximum noise, semi sports for a medium noise and standard for normal. 

I have full sports on my mk1, sounds awesome, but then I’m under 50 and have great neighbours. I have applied dynamat to the shell for an all over more refined sound and feel though. I have semi sports on my vitesse and it’s s lovely mellower noise and you don’t need to adjust jets and change manifolds etc. 

No idea about costs, but have a look at the club shop on this website. 

Hag 

I bought a full sports 2nd hand for my Spitfire - it has the centre silencer as well as the two end boxes so is not as loud as some (So I understand anyway!) and whilst it is louder than normal, I don't find it intrusive. Cruising is fairly quiet - but hoof it and it makes a nice note - though I have no idea how the sound it from outside the car!🤣

2 hours ago, haggis said:

the old crowd like to quieten them down

Pete,

That'd be me! I replaced my 30 year old standard stainless, the stainless bits were OK, but the baffles and welds had rotted and the thing had become noisy. I suggest you go to your local meeting and listen to the various configurations before deciding.  Some of the semis are louder than the fulls, don't know how that works!  Full and semi sound nice in the car park but, driving long distance too much for me. 

Doug

On 18/05/2019 at 20:53, thescrapman said:

A Bell system and at GT6 do not really go together, unless you enjoy bleeding eardrums. A centre box is essential.

SM is a Bell system a particular configuration of exhaust system? Mine is a standard exhaust with centre box (bought from the Club Shop) and made by Bell Exhausts. Sounds OK to me

Confused of Twyford

Bell is just the manufacturer. 

It may be time they changed the design of the so called sports exhausts to be free flowing but rather more refined?

I ended up having to make my own system. 2 1/4" straight through, but has 5' of exhaust box. I may have got lucky with the pipe length as it is sensibly quiet. The old wheelbarrow exhaust was 98db, this one was 90, which is a massive difference (less than half)

9 minutes ago, clive said:

Bell is just the manufacturer. 

That's what I'm asking, I think SM may be calling a Wheelbarrow system a Bell system because my Bell certainly has a centre box. Or does he have a downer on the manufacturer?

Doug

As said the full sports will turn heads on the GT6 and Vitesse but can be loud. Whereas the semi sports makes a nice sound but not so loud. See the club website. Its very much a personal choice. I second Doug's suggestion to see if anybody can demonstrate the noise at your local area meet.

I am the same as Doug this end, I like the sports sound BUT NOT TOO LOUD! these days.

My Vitesse has a John Kipping stainless steel box maybe semi sports, I guess now not available. John sold his business to Canley Classics 20 years ago?

My TR7 has a Falcon standard stainless system. I have tried the full sports system on the TR7 but got fed up with the noise. 300 mile each way to/from Cornwall and it had to go! 

I have used the Moss wheel barrow set-up on a Gitfire in the past but wouldn't now. i.e. The old crowd like to quieten them down.

I get the impression the modern standard stainless steel systems are less restricted than the original mild steel type. Plus are just a tad noisier than the original exhaust. But maybe that's just me.

Dave

4 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

That's what I'm asking, I think SM may be calling a Wheelbarrow system a Bell system because my Bell certainly has a centre box. Or does he have a downer on the manufacturer?

Doug

Colin (SM) will be referring to teh specific system, ie the bell sports system. It is probably the loudest of all. And the semi sports are just as bad from the 2 I have owned over the years.

Phoenix are better in terms of noise, but in general the sports systems are too loud and have a negligible effect on performance. (about 25 years ago somebody, maybe Carl or Jon tested the club exhaust system, plus another with manifold and system, on a rolling road, differences were underwhelming)

The standard Bell twin box system has boxes that are too smal IMO.

the Phoenix ones are 50% larger at least.

I had a Bell system on an old Mk2 Spitfire that I dragged back from the dead, every single part of it was shagged apart from the nice new exhaust. The previous owner was both ripped off and had their priorities wrong. 

It was great fun ragging it round the lanes listening to the ends hammering their way out of the crankcase when the exhaust wasn't "ringing", scaring the wildlife and setting off car alarms.

But waaay too loud for a long journey.

Fit a centre box and all is sweetness and light, well kinda!

The issue that makes the GT6 worse is the exhaust resonates in the rear of the cabin.