Bikers and hair removal

Colin Lindsay

I need a new set of shaver heads for an electric razor so was scouring eBay for genuine replacements - not those cheap ones from China that remove skin and all - but was surprised to see these wonder shaving products in the 'Men's Shaving and Hair Removal / Electric shavers' section... maybe I've been using the wrong things all these years? Maybe years of cutting corners and close shaves on the road have made Suzuki better at it than Philips?

shavers.jpg.6f3b894e5aafd2814aea9969eb3f413e.jpg

Went to see Fairport Convention last night, I think I was the youngest there, both audience and band. I had more hair than many, but nowhere near as much as some, who at that age should realise that their long-haired hippy days are 50 or more years ago........ I thought their percussion was great, until I realised it was just joints popping in time to the music.

Here's another thought on hair removal: why is it that I can buy genuine Philips heads on-line for £32.95, but buy a brand new shaver which uses those same heads locally for £36? Admittedly Tesco are having a clearout in my local branch, but it's a bit of a no-brainer at present. 

I suppose logically when you think about it the razor is really only a handle and motor for the heads, which are the cutting edge - no pun intended - so yes they'll be the greater expense, but it still seems a high price to pay. Maybe I should try Harry's? They know shaving.

My old Phillishave three-head gave up the other day - battery won't charge.   Had it more than 20 years, quite sad to see it go.

Bought a new one, same brand and it doesn't 'feel' the same.  Lighter, flimsier (?) and the three heads pivot as you rub it on your chin, so it 'rattles' as you go to and fro.   Hey-ho, its 'progress'.

JOhn

Annoys me that you have to junk a perfectly good electrical item because you can't change the batteries. I have 2 old Braun shavers that take rechargeable MN1500 batteries. They have been disintergrating for the past 10 years. Now got just one cobbled together from the two and held together with insulating tape. Got a new one 6 mths ago, built in rechargeable battery... not a patch on the old ones.

i have a phillips twin rotor  battery shaver that i bought in Dingles at Plymouth 1965   it cost a whackin £5 and it still is capable of giving a decent trim

but i got a unbranded battery   foil  razor  one from  heathrow  2003  for a tenner and that will harvest anything from anywhere with a vengance 

but daily i use Aldi triple blade wet shaves and they are wonderful. and cheap 

but barnet trims are left to a lady friend  !!!!

Interesting that when young, certain people spend a fortune on their hair. Fast forward 30+ish years and if you have any left, you don't much bother about it (very general statement). If you had spent all that money on a classic car, you would still have something to show for your youth, it would still be fun and worth a few quid,