Best exhaust system

Alex73

I'm with Richard!

I replaced my 35 year old standard stainless as the welds and baffles had started to go. Put on a new standard GT6 stainless, sounds great (mellow, yes I like that description) However the centre box started to slap on the chassis rails. "Exhausts are us" realigned it for me, for free, but reckoned it would happen again. It's very tight in there 1/4" either side? 

Doug

45 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

However the centre box started to slap on the chassis rails. "Exhausts are us" realigned it for me, for free, but reckoned it would happen again. It's very tight in there 1/4" either side? 

Doug

I have the standard system on my Mk1 and it's quite tight to one side but doesn't move about or strike the chassis; however there's not much room for anything larger. 

DSCF5390.jpg.dca0116c2b8100e44aa13c11e0fed6e0.jpg

22 hours ago, rlubikey said:

...?is another's "too loud man, too loud!"

Richard - I remember that phrase from a very old stop motion video on children's tv for "The Banana Boat Song", could that be where you picked it up? Could have been Dillan off "the magic roundabout" or Neil off "The Young Ones" though. One man's memories are anothers "what the ****"!

Hi BadWolf, that's exactly where I get that from. Day-O (The Banana Boat Song) was popularised by Harry Belafonte, then parodied by Stan Freberg in the 50's. Someone did the stop-motion (claymation) with a Bugs Bunny-like character which was shown on childrens tv in the 70's - Blue Peter, I think.

Cheers, Richard

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Exhaust noise revisited :   Following a trip to a custom exhaust builder and taking account of advice above (before the banana diversion) it was easy to conclude that putting in a centre resonator in front of the twin boxes probably would be wasted effort.  I have now decided to discard the twin boxes and graft a GT6 twin outlet conventional style transverse box on to the existing middle pipe (without centre resonator) in my tuned Spitfire 1500.  I still want the engine to be able to breathe reasonably but also want my already diminshed hearing to get no worse.  There is therefore  a choice of standard or 'semi-sports' .  Locally here in the Scottish rusting belt I have found no opportunity to do a live comparison so would welcome any informed opinion on this.  I suppose that if less noise is the priority then the standard box is the way to go but if the semi-sports was reasonable......

2 hours ago, thescrapman said:

I had a Spitfire with a Semi-Sports transverse box. IT WAS BLOODY LOUD!!!!!!!!!

Pardon? I can't hear you over the noise from your exhaust. 😆

I've got a semi-sport on my Spit6 and it's a bit Carlos Fandango tbh. I'm embarrassed letting it tick over for 10mins on the drive when I'm looking for leaks etc, and equally embarrassed at the lights when I set off slower than a smart car and louder than a Lamborghini. 

I've concluded an understated purr and a surprising whoosh would more classy. It's sort of the same idea French women use. They'll say they're 10 yrs older than they are, so that people say how good they look. I'd like people to think it's surprisingly quick for something that sounds so refined, rather than how slow it is for something so loud.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

GT6 exhausts - looking at standard GT6 exhaust back boxes on the club shop, the Mk2 and Mk3 silencers are listed differently : Mk2 - BSTH88  £196  /  Mk3 - BSTH 124 £188

Does anyone have any idea of the difference?   This is for a cobbled up fit to a Spitfire so I can't peer underneath my GT6 to look since I don't have one, lovely as they are. 

The Mk2 has a single hanger at the tailpipe end of the box whereas the Mk3 has a hanger at either end. The Mk3 also has slightly longer tailpipes which are angled upwards slightly. I don't know if there is any overall difference in dimensions of the box itself. If you take a look on either the Canley Classics or Rimmer Bros. websites these show diagrammes/photos of both types.