its good to be old and grumpy....with a smile

Pete Lewis

why are indicators on modern cars and some trucks the size of an end on match box, stupid silly small invisible led glow worms

hidden under bright daylight running lamps. there used to be a construction and use min area for side and indicator lenses  it seems have disappeared  

and become a stylist law not is it really useful law .

and dont get me on the prats that indicate left and then drive around the roundabout . you could think they are turning off...but no  3 junctions later 

what dick brain teaches them to do it ,its ind right going round and only indicate left when you get to your turn, is this  difficult then ???????

pete

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Same as the guy who fits the speedo... might even be the same person does both!

The most rewarding job goes to the guy who makes the bonnet badge..... Which is really a magnetic master key that will try to open your boot as you are driving along!!

On 25/05/2019 at 18:59, Colin Lindsay said:

Along with the dip switch these days.... no-one dips any more. Of course to indicate or dip you have to have a free hand, and with one holding the wheel and the other your phone, it's quite difficult....

I think dipping is down to lazy drive aids, rather than lazy drivers.  Especially in my Spitfire I've noticed you get less dipping the newer a car is - and so the more likely it is to have auto-dipping headlights that don't think my headlights are high-enough/bright-enough to be another car, so don't dip.

In my current and past Triumph fleet I fitted halogen headlights. Relays also help.

On the TR7 I have halogen headlights. 

The outer headlights on the Vitesse are halogen as the main problem for me was the 37.5 watt x 2 dip. The normal four headlight main beam was OK.

In my view if you drive at night it's a positive way to go.

Dave

Don't do as I did, which was to have an early Herald with the cloth-covered wiring loom, so faded that the cable colours could not be distinguished, so I ended up with one headlamp on dip and one on high, then they swapped sides if I dipped.... it made for some interesting night-time driving...

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

didn't realise they would make a difference to the light output.

As Pete says measure the voltage across the headlight and then across the battery. The headlight is highly likely to be lower. Where's it gone?!! Across the light switch, that's why it gets hot!! :o

db

The main cause of the voltage drop at the headlights is the resistance of the original wiring loom. As a result many owners fit a higher current capacity wire, lower resistance, to the headlights. The relay take the high current load off headlight switch and if fitted near the headlights means you only need to run one higher current lead.

Arr got a head ache after that lot. 

Dave 

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Where's it gone?!! Across the light switch, that's why it gets hot!! :o

1 hour ago, dave.vitesse said:

The main cause of the voltage drop at the headlights is the resistance of the original wiring loom.

True, but if you ever replace the dip switch on a 2000 saloon or a Dolomite, you should make sure you fit relays because Doug isn't wrong about the switch, and the later production Lucas dip switches "canna tek it" as Scottie would say.

19 minutes ago, NonMember said:

True, but if you ever replace the dip switch on a 2000 saloon or a Dolomite, you should make sure you fit relays because Doug isn't wrong about the switch, and the later production Lucas dip switches "canna tek it" as Scottie would say.

Rob, I agree the later multi function column switch was not good. I had one in my Toledo in the 1970's melt on headlights. Hence my comment about the relay taking the load of the headlight switch. Doug's spot on.

The main switch seemed to cope OK.

Dave