replacing Triumph Herald carpets??

Michelle

My Triumph Herald Convertible is in desperate need of new carpets. Has anyone replaced theirs with the moulded Rimmer ones ?

Prestige Auto Trim do standard or wool fitted carpets but not moulded ones. Would like to hear your recommendations and experiences.

Thanks for your time Michelle

I've bought from Coverdale Carpets, the only supplier who did the colour I needed for my GT6. These were only available in loose wool. Wool is expensive, synthetic cheaper. Fitted are synthetic and are probably a good idea in a convertible where they are eventually bound to get wet. Nothing worse than the smell of wet wool carpet!

Fitted are easier to fit (there's a clue in the name! :lol:) although I'm not having any problems with the loose so far. But I'm not looking forward to the wheel arches that curve in two planes, they will have to be glued a small section at a time. 

Rimmers, Canley Classics, TSSC club shop, Moss, their carpets all come from the same place so best to go for the cheapest. 

Doug

20 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Michelle - Welcome to the forum. I fitted loose type carpets to my Spitfire but there are members who have used both loose and moulded. I will be interested in your thread as I am going to renew mine sometime this year.

Thank you Bad Wolf, not your real name i hope!

I'll add a pic and details when i get them sorted.

20 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I've bought from Coverdale Carpets, the only supplier who did the colour I needed for my GT6. These were only available in loose wool. Wool is expensive, synthetic cheaper. Fitted are synthetic and are probably a good idea in a convertible where they are eventually bound to get wet. Nothing worse than the smell of wet wool carpet!

Fitted are easier to fit (there's a clue in the name! :lol:) although I'm not having any problems with the loose so far. But I'm not looking forward to the wheel arches that curve in two planes, they will have to be glued a small section at a time. 

Rimmers, Canley Classics, TSSC club shop, Moss, their carpets all come from the same place so best to go for the cheapest. 

Doug

Thank you Dougbgt6

That's a very good point, wet wool smell is not a winner. i got caught out yesterday in a downpour!

Thank you for your advice

• Haha 1

Hi all

I replaced my carpets in my 13/60 convertible.  Bought them as a complete set from the club shop.  The fitting was very simple as the carpets are moulded. especially the section round the transmission tunnel.  Good quality and the price was competitive.  Sorry to say this but even if you can buy the same carpets from another supplier for slightly less, is it not worth always supporting the shop and our club.  If we always go down the cheapest route we will not have a club or a shop.  The only winner is eBay or the likes and they do not care about us. 

Andrew 

Andrew,

I'm a great supporter of the club shop, I've spent hundreds in their over the last couple of years. Springs. shockers, exhaust system, polyurethane tunnel, all because they are quality and not the cheapest. However Club shop GT6 black moulded carpet set £548. Rimmer Bros £207. It's not a matter of slightly less. There are other ridiculous prices, LED gauge lights £9 EACH? Trunnion oil gun £45! We have to keep them on their toes, they work for us.

Doug

• Sad 1

Do you use underfelt? I did in the GT6, which had heavy black carpets, but also in the Herald Estate where the carpets are of a much thinner material. I find it bulks the carpet out and gives it more of a luxury feel - and might even help it last longer -  whilst it provides better sound-deadening too. The downside is that if you also try to use overmats on the driver's side it makes pedal action slightly more awkward.

DSCF0010.JPG.26c63d462d80fede6ad35fa25b9b66f8.JPG

I eventually used Silentcoat under mine. Did use that thick fibre stuff but it pushed the carpet into the seat basket and stopped the seat sliding back and forward. Also found that after getting wet it disintergrated to dust. When I looked under the carpet, no insulation just brown yuk. A bit weird.

• 8 months later...

Hi All

Finally looking at putting carpets back in my 1967 Vitesse convertible. The set that came with the car when bought (about 5 years ago) - have been on a shelf in the garage for about 4 years now. Not sure if PO had fitted the wrong set though. They're not moulded & not wool - and in 4 sections (N/S front, O/S front, tunnel & rear). The section over the gearbox tunnel doesn't fit well at all. The cut-outs for the gear stick and tray have finished edges. Part of the issue looks like the strip in front of he gear stick & behind the "tray" is only about an inch wide. The space to fill on the plastic gearbox tunnel cover is more like 3 inches?

It could be the plastic tunnel cover on mine is wrong - or maybe the carpet set. I'm thinking  there's maybe a subtle difference between Heralds, Vitesses and Spitfires? Looking at pictures on line of Herald interiors - and Vitesse interiors - it looks like the gap might be smaller on a Herald? - (but also the tunnel looks a totally different shape towards the handbrake?

Does anyone know if I'm on to something here - or barking up the wrong tree (or just plain barking?)

Thanks

Richard

Sounds like a typical aftermarket carpet set. 

Yes, vitesse gearstick is further back than a Herald. And spitfire is a different beast altogether. 

If you want one that fits, then the Newton Commercial moulded one is required (bought from the cheapest supplier, Newtons themselves are the most expensive)

Otherwise get busy with contact adhesive, a sharp knife and so on. No easy way I am afraid.

8 minutes ago, RAW1969 said:

The cut-outs for the gear stick and tray have finished edges. Part of the issue looks like the strip in front of he gear stick & behind the "tray" is only about an inch wide. The space to fill on the plastic gearbox tunnel cover is more like 3 inches?

I know the 6 cylinder tunnel is different due to the starter on my GT6 being on the opposite side from a Herald / Spitfire, but that's only the side profile. As for the top, I suspect there is a larger gap between the gearlever and the tray; I've downloaded the first two I found from a Bing search, one 4-cylinder and one 6-cylinder, and even in the photos you can see the difference in width. You may have a Herald carpet set rather than a Vitesse set.

708505sappic1_2.jpg.2c3c86ef6a89e0cd8696d56cc06110de.jpg  709862sappic1_16.jpg.2a7cf32ccc66a244929b67760e8c8ef5.jpg

I fitted the Moulded carpet set made by Newton Commercial during the rebuild of my Vitesse several years ago, but purchased the Carpets and all the Interior Re-trim items via Canley Classics at the time because it was cheaper than going direct to Newtons?

Quality and fit where excellent (especially around the tricky Transmission tunnel) although they are not an exact match for the Original carpets with regards to colour and type of carpet. 

I know Newtons invested a lot of money way back to get tooling made for a correct fit for the Herald/Vitesse range   

May be worth checking they are Newton manufacture, but if they are Moulded then they should be as I don't believe any other Manufacturers do Moulded sets?

Regards

Gary

Interior 2.JPG