Camber shims on Vitesse etc. between lower wishbone and main rail

Hi Pete.   Nearside front tyre is wearing quite a bit more at outside edge. Have been swapping wheels around to even this out.

Nowhere level at home, though have been doing a few randon, very basic checks, on car parks etc where car looks fairly level, using a piece of wood  and spirit level across rim. Nearside appears it may have more positive camber, than offside, so wondered if to shim out 1 thickness (or more?) as have spare shims and see if it improves.

Want to get new tyres soonish, so would like to sort if I can.

I haven't checked tracking, though if this wear was too much "toe in", would it show wear on both outer edges?.

cheers, Dave

no tracking problems wear the tyre on the easiest side to climb the road camber , to keep a straight lie the NS tries to climb the camber

and the n/s outer gets worn . 

camber on its own wont wear tyres much but excess toe in will rip off rubber never to be replaced  when its gone its gone

use the two planks and a tape as per twiddle day  , i think you just have excess toe in, forget camber 

remember on the roads the car doesnt know about camber and it splits the camber angle in half .

camber can affect handling as the footprint is not equally placed on the rod there is no scrub taking place as the tyre rotates, where as tyres /\  or \/   scrub rubber as over the miles the sideways scrub is horrendous in comparision to any camber error

pete

Remember to shim both brackets on whichever side you're adjusting. Factory camber setting is +3.25 degrees, for all other Herald or all Vitesse models it's +3.5. (+5 on the rear)

If your tyre wear is as bad as this one in the photo, it needs sorted. This was caused by slighty too much negative camber....

1347331223_camberwear.jpg.8fb909d7deca3cca1e501bdaacb31e9b.jpg

Front of my GT6 used to run too much camber and over 13,000 miles in my ownership it did wear the fronts unevenly (by around 1.5mm comparing inside and outside of the tread). I replaced the tyres down to age, not tread depth. So it's a slow action. Compare that with the rear tyre that was running too much toe when I first had the car - it was at the tell-tale limits in under 4,000 miles from essentially new.

There's a lot of advice across different online fora about whether the book camber values are still relevant to modern wider radial tyres on our cars. Many argue that zero camber or even slight negative camber is more appropriate. I reduced mine to around 1.0-1.5 degrees positive before putting the new front tyres on! I did remember to reset the toe!

Gully