hank

There was a Vitesse Estate on the Bangers and Cash prog last night.

It looked to be good value for its price.

Does anybody know if this was a "genuine" Estate as converted by  the Triumph Service Department,run by the redoubtable Jock Brown, at London. The giveaway is generally the door cappings are wood, as per other  Vitesses..

Incidentally, in the early days of the Club, these cars were traded by a prominent club member, Alastair Graham.

unless some recognises the reg number without a com  plate or park lane  build plaque  its hard to check

the paint was pretty awful  hence it was supposed rare but didnt make rare money  

eg a A2 Herald est  ins value is 3500, 

rarity and originality add to values ,  and auction  prices are generally lower than market values 

hard to  say  , if it was a conversion with the correct chassis and brakes etc it is what it is, park lane or not , 

makes a nice estate many vitesse had a  herald  estate rear tub fitted its not a hard conversion 

and more sensible than turning a herald into a vitesse .

Pete

I got insurance valuation trained by Chris Gumby our beloved chairman.  Who then said "Value this!" A Park Royal Vitesse Estate. I know a bit about GT6s, but not Vitesses. Triumph didn't make 'em, did I know that? No. A trick! Valuation is all about what would it cost to replace, so to make one now you need a good Vitesse and a good Herald estate, cut them in half and join them together. So replacement value twice what I thought. Good old Chris. :angry:

Doug

It would be nice to hear from the lucky winner of the B and C  auction ,presumably a club member.

I think that a genuine Park Royal estate would command a premium value.

If no wood cappings on the doors ,it would probably not be genuine.. Also, I wonder if the rear spring was stiffened on genuine cars.

The genuine, Park Royal, Vitesse Estate is rarer than the genuine Lotus Cortina or Mini Copper S. The genuine article had full length wood cappings, specially made, at the rear and unlike the Herald Estate it had carpets between the runners on the load bearing floor. But the only real proof is the paperwork, which a number of owners still have. I did an article in the Feb 2018 Courier on the Estate which showed the sort of paperwork which took place between the buyer and Park Royal.

In the end its if you like the car, providing you don't pay over the odds for a non-genuine Estate, just enjoy it.

Vitesse Reg Sec.

Dave

1 hour ago, dave.vitesse said:

The genuine, Park Royal, Vitesse Estate is rarer than the genuine Lotus Cortina or Mini Copper S. In the end its if you like the car, providing you don't pay over the odds for a non-genuine Estate, just enjoy it.

Vitesse Reg Sec.

Dave

As Shakespeare would say: 'Aye, there's the rub'. I've seen an Estate for sale where the owner claimed they were ultra-rare and was charging a huge price, yet it was only a standard Vitesse with a Herald tub added. It's like the Lotus Cortina: a genuine Lotus will always fetch more than a Cortina with Lotus badges stuck on, but try telling that to some sellers.

BTW this is the only Mini Copper I could find a photo of....

smallcop.jpg.36582efe18a8572ed55900fecc3c4d54.jpg

Well, he never actually said it, but t'was the bard wot wrote it! It was in Hamlet, where he also refers to 'this mortal coil' as his ignition system had obviously just died.

It can't have been Bacon that wrote it as his name wasn't on the book, and anyway he has enough credit under his belt as they named slices of pig after him.

I knew a policeman called Sergeant once, he was Constable Sergeant, then Sergeant Sergeant, and I don't know if he ever became Inspector Sergeant or not.

56 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I knew a policeman called Sergeant once, he was Constable Sergeant, then Sergeant Sergeant, and I don't know if he ever became Inspector Sergeant or not.

In Catch 22 there's an officer called Major Major Major.  His name got him effortlessly to his rank but then no further.

Doug