Favourite tool

Graham C

Last weekend when tightening all the bolts around the bell housing after fitting the gearbox in a GT6 I drop a nut that was going onto one of the top studs, not hearing it drop the floor I suspected it had dropped into the bell housing though the clutch lever opening. I spent Sunday night attempting to convince myself this had not happened and failed miserably. So to avoid separating the prop shaft, gearbox and engine I thought though various options. End up searching Amazon for an endoscope found a wireless one that links to an iphone for £15, brought it. This Sunday spent a few minutes searching the inside of the bell housing though the starter motor opening found the nut and with the magnetic attachment pulled the nut out. Very impressed and saved me a few hours of fruitless work. So this weekend this cheap endoscope is my favourite tool in my garage.

Graham

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ok til the magnet comes of when you are searching... how do you retrieve the magnet. Saw a guy at the Tatton Car Show (Cheshire) over the weekend selling one with a super power magnet, what if you push it in and can't pull it out (Pete/Doug - don't even think about thread drift on that one!!!).

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Ok til the magnet comes of when you are searching... how do you retrieve the magnet.

what if you push it in and can't pull it out (Pete/Doug - don't even think about thread drift on that one!!!).

Use a bigger magnet!

If you push it in and can't pull it out it's cos it's got a hold of your nuts (that you dropped in earlier of course. Don't know what you were thinking of there.)

• Like 1

i have an old broken telescopic magnet base fitted to a length of that coiled curtain wire , so it goes round corners

but they always grab onto everything you dont want .

another alternative is a 25mmm hole saw in the bottom of the housing  and while youre into butchery  one in the top so you can see the flywheel TDC marks  

Pete

When I dropped a washer into the bellhousing, the magnet I used was a bit big too lower inside the bellhousing and I was worried I'd lose it too. So as the bellhousing is ally, I slid the magnet around the lowest part of it on the inside and listened for the 'click' of the magnet grabbing the washer. I then carefully slid it up to the slave cylinder hole and retrieved it.

Gav

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

If you push it in and can't pull it out it's cos it's got a hold of your nuts (that you dropped in earlier of course. Don't know what you were thinking of there.)

A much better place to put your nut's..... :)  

18756.jpg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

awe   nuts  heaven  ...........I wont ask  where you find this stuff,  

Pete

Pete you will have to ask Doug,........ He seems to get the blame for most things :)  No bum jokes of late though..........

Tony. 

I did think about a hole and also an external magnetic around the bell housing but I not sure whether the nut had actually fallen into the bell housing as I did not see it fall. I am surprised that it took some time for the thread to drift. 

Anyway for £15 pounds I have a useful tool for looking into those hard to see dark spaces such as under floor boards when feeding cables.

Graham

• Like 1

With a drawer full of screwdrivers, there are a set of large wooden handled stanley,s , loads ofngripmto give some torque and blades you can grind up so they grip the slot correctly if they get worn,

The old blue handled stanley posidrives have lasted years and still going strong , in comparison to lifetime snap ons which only last a year and been replaced a few times are really rubbish 

So Stanley gets my favourite 

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

The old blue handled stanley posidrives have lasted years and still going strong 

So Stanley gets my favourite 

Pete

I've got one of these and I still have the yellow plastic box it came in with a selection of posidrive screws and nuts & bolts. Quality that lasts.