Adjusting tappets

brian GT6.

I'm re torquing the cylinder head on my mk3 gt6. Looking at adjusting the tappets afterwards it doesn't look easy to get a socket on the crank with the clearance between the crank and the radiator. What's the  easiest way to turn the engine to adjust the valve clearances. It's on a ramp so I can't rock it backwards and forwards easily.

21 minutes ago, Paul H said:

I have a mk 2 vitesse and I remove the plugs and turn the engine with the fan blades .

Do the same, though hold blade/s near the centre. Org metal fan, don't want the old, fatigued, sweetheart to go to that land fill in the sky.

Dave   

Edited by daverclasper

Did this today!

Just about managed to get a socket onto the 4 bolts to remove the fan by sliding the ratchet in sideways (being paranoid not to scrape newly re-cored radiator!!!)

Refitting the nuts was a REAL pain, but once nipped up, the engine started cranking as I tightened the fan nuts further ... and that might be your answer!!!

Remove the plugs (to reduce compression forces working against you), then squeeze a socket onto the fan bolt-head & crank slowly from there.

Would be VERY careful about putting any loading on the plastic fan (even at the blade roots).

Good Luck,

Simon.

If you can jack one rear wheel , put in 4th and turning  the wheel will turn the engine  but you cant see the rocker positions 

Or blip  the starter many times 

You can use the rule of 13  or to save turning get 11  12 rockers on balance and set 1   2  and so on follow the firing order

Balance being when one going down  one coming up .

Pete

Gunson did make a Remote Start - an ideal bit of kit for this sort of job.

Connected to the starter and solenoid, press the trigger and it cranks the engine a few degrees each time which made it very easy to get the exact point of height for adjusting the rocker arms.

You can make a similar DIY unit if need be, just need a rocker switch rather than on / off switch.

Regards.

Richard.

I finally found my version of one of those. Unknown brand, now I know why. Attached the croc clips turned on the ignition, pushed the switch. The engine groaned and just about moved. The wires were roasting hot. Great heater, rubbish accessory. Now I remember why it was consigned to the spares box.

thats cos yer trying t,start it with it,

it should only energise the relay,or solonoid,

NOT the actual starter.

a real handy bit of kit for adjusting rockers it is

Also v v handy for compressione readings

M

Errr,  what ye set,n em too, !!

if its book figure, forget it

unless ye know for certain that its correct !!

set em  at 6 thou, it,ll be about spot on on an olde worn engine

that is,if its an olde worn rocker set up !!

M

On 10/06/2019 at 15:59, classiclife said:

Connected to the starter and solenoid

Apologies, I was not being as accurate in my description as I should have been.

One wire attaches to the solenoid connection that runs a cable to the battery.

Second wire goes on the small spade terminal of the solenoid which runs to the ignition switch. You remove that ignition switch wire and replace with the other remote starter wire.

No connections are made to the actual starter motor.

I hope that is clearer and it should be noted that this connection is for vehicles with Inertia Starters only....................pre-engaged connections are different.

Regards.

Richard. 

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Best to set it to what the book says! If it still clatters there's a wear problem THEN sort that out. Wire feeler gauges would be good on worn rockers, but I've yet to find any.

Doug

Can get 0.25mm wire on eBay, wonder if that would work.

Regards

Paul

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Can get 0.25mm wire on eBay, wonder if that would work.

I once tapped a paper clip down to 10 thou and set with that, though some tappets still seemed noisy. Don't know why?.

I now go by feel and this seems to work. A good way of isolating noisy ones is to use an old feeler gauge at say 5 thou and check with the engine running (thanks Pete) as the noisy ones quieten down.

Dave 

Edited by daverclasper

I have a Gunson's Autoclick Adjuster (in fact through an error, two!) and rarely use it. It's a nice concept having one setting for all tappets and once it's properly adjusted, just leave it at that setting, but it does not take wear into account and therefore isn't just as one-size-fits-all as the makers would like us to think.

• Thanks 1