J type solenoid

gollane

My 3 year-old  solenoid stops throwing when hot but 30 minutes after driving clicks away happily in the garage. Is this heat related or a coincidence? 

Particularly annoying as I've just taken the car off axle stands after a diff change .

Thanks Colin the oil level is correct ,I checked it when I filled the diff, it is the solenoid that comes and goes ,as I said it doesn't click when hot but does as it cools, I'm wondering about wiring with the gearstick as there seems to be a possible issue with the amount of movement .

What car?

I had symptoms not unlike that on a Stag - the overdrive worked great when cold but the solenoid didn't even click once warm. It turned out that some DPO had fitted double shim washers on the inhibitor switch. As the gearbox got hot the casing expended slightly and the already very marginal switch stopped working. I removed one of the washers and all was well.

• Thanks 1

I would echo inhibitor switch setting , especially the fails hot ok when cooler as Rob suggested de shim it

Shoildmot prove to be the solenoid you,can   unscrew it with  a thin 1"af spanner  dont use grips on the body that can of tight wreck the body.

You loose a cupful of oil, give it a shake the inner spool piston should rattle back and forth, if no remove the small 10mm cirlip and remover the inner spool piston , give it a clean and refit. 

If this is playing up you tend to get mind of its own in's and outs 

Youres sounds simpler start with the inhibitor switch setting

Pete

• Thanks 1