Missing Overdrive

Rijidij

After much sweating, swearing an knuckle scraping, I finally got the solenoid off the overdrive.

DSC_0192.thumb.JPG.d5f3907f1f5d14885a967c2526f61d86.JPG

The inside and armature are covered in a sticky brown tarry substance.

My theory is that the bit in the middle at the bottom overheated and got stuck to the back of the plunger. It got pulled out when the overdrive disengaged and fell to the bottom preventing it making contact the next time the solenoid was energised.

When I install the replacement solenoid, should I use any lubricant?

No keep it dry and clean.

Does the old one work if cleaned up  ???

If  you  remove  the boot , old  ones you  can clean the end switch on later its encased and not possible 

Have read upmon setting the lever stroke , it important its correct but with age you can  increase  the travel a  small  amount

It only hasnto lift the spool valve offmits seat which sits under the cap screw on the top

While youre in the zone remove the plate on the n/s and take out the filter gauze and here  are plastic ring magnets  these get very messy 

Worth a clean  the plate has a cork gasket so   dont overtighten the screws

Pete

Thanks Pete.

I think the old one is beyond salvage. It's a sealed unit anyway.

I presume the oil needs to be drained to check the ring magnets?

I was also going to check the operating valve, but some gorilla completely rounded off the plug.

If you need a plug or parts try 

https://www.google.com/search?q=od+spares&oq=od+spares&aqs=chrome..69i57j0.3406j1j7&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Or

https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk

Always very helpfull

Gorilla  mode never helpful  happens a lot , the plug can be tight but not rounded off 

Can you hammer a socket on to try and  replace it     cant remember but it think its a old af size , maybe bsf or similar.

Thats why unf or metric dont work 

Whatch for escaping ball and small spring when its off.

Pete

Hooray! Overdrive is back!

I fitted the replacement solenoid tonight and took her for a (very noisy) test drive.

I'll probably do a bit of an overhaul during winter - when I have all the parts. But the main priority tonight was to get the OD working for the weekend.

For anyone else planning to replace their solenoid, I can thoroughly recommend one of these

J9AFS43-1-4-034-Dr-Flexible-Socket-Screwdriver-Extension-Handle-Bar-Adapter-550mm

It makes accessing the lower bolt 1000% easier (note I said easier. It still isn't easy).

• Thanks 1