Heavy steering at low speed

According to my handbook for a Spitfire 1300 mkIV (print date 4/74), specs are:

Wheels - Steel disc type 4.5J rims,

Tyres - home market Dunlop SP68 155-SR-13 radial ply/Goodyear G800 155-SR-13 radial

Pressures - Front 21 lb/in Rear 26 lb/in

Not sure if this helps in any way!!!

had i thought the WSM covers H/V/ and S123

shows as 3.5"steel wheel or 4.5" wires

5.20 13   front 18psi  rear   24psi

145 13    front 21psi  rear   26psi

as said you need to increase   this a bit with modern radials so trial and error in getting handling and ride as you want it

so turn in is snappy but you dont rupture your spleen on a pimple in the road   , 

couple of lbs  makes a big difference to the foot print and ride quality .

Pete

Make no mistake, I use oil on the Spit trunions and always advise others to do the same. However, I am interested in the changeover from grease in earlier Standard cars and the reasons for the change.

On 02/07/2019 at 18:32, dave.vitesse said:

Back in 1959 Dennis Barbet Standard's development engineer had investigated why trunnions were wearing out and found it was due to the grease being forced out of the threads when under pressure. He recommended the use of EP90 as it was not forced out under pressure. As far as I know Standard Triumph (ST) recommended the use of EP90 in trunnions from around that date. ST has always said that Herald based cars should use EP90 oil in their trunnions.

Dennis did an article in the Courier a number of years ago covering the above which cleared up the confusion.

Dave

Do you have the date or or the edition of that Courier please Dave?

The basic layout of the front suspension of Standard cars in the 50's is the same as ours - vertical links with lower trunions. The only difference is they had Burman recirculating ball steering boxes rather than racks - probably because they were tied in because of a supply contract.

The service interval for greasing trunions on the Atlas, Atlas Major and I believe all Standard cars in the 50's including the TR2 & 3 was 1000 miles. The TR4 of 1961was 1500 miles. This was extended to 3000 miles for the Leyland 15  of 1963 (a re-branded Atlas Major), but the trunions, vertical links and the grease specified were all the same as the earlier van according to the parts catalogues. By 1967, the TR5 specified OIL every 6000 miles, and this was the same so far as I know for the Herald family from 1959 right through to the end of Spit production in 1980.

So, was the main driver for these changes to extend the service intervals? Was there some internal design change to the trunions for oil lubrication, which meant that the TR4 and Leyland 15 remained on the grease regime, despite Dennis Barbet's work? I'll probably find out when I read that Courier article.

Cheers, Richard

all the old couriers are available on disc or download  from the home page to search the contents you need to browse the download technical index  shown on the home page  'The Cars'  searching the list for specific articles is not (afaik) just yet and not easy....there's lots to search

just which one is a nightmare unless you have a date in mind 

all the basic handbook specs for tyres timming and suchlike are in the download from page 40 and listed by model 

Pete

edit just e mailed Tom and he has shown me the proposed searchable version they are currently working on

its pretty good and makes great use of a hidden resource....its watch this space for now but there is super progress behind the scenes just waiting to be unleashed 

Pete

Thanks Guys. Will do battle with my Courier DVD index when I get a moment and see what comes up. If Bern knows, that would be great. On-Line searchable data base sounds excellent - lots of work but big dividends.

Thanks again, Richard

HOLD ON!!! According to Paul Richardson's article on Dennis Barbet, page 70 of the October 2006 edition of the Courier, Dennis joined Standard-Triumph in summer 1961. It couldn't have been him who did the trunnion oiling work for the Herald, because that was 1959.

Confused, Richard