Vitesse engine mounts

griffipaul

Setting out to do steering rack mounts so whilst I am at it will also fit new engine mounts. Just noticed today that there appears to be what look like suspension shims between mount and engine bracket . There are 2 both sides . Thos does not seem right to me. The replacement mounts I have are heavy duty TR6 mounts as std mounts for both are identical. Suspect shims are a bodge for duff parts but they look really ancient.

20190703_131939.jpg

Thanks guys for the clear and prompt response. You even beat Pete Lewis !!!!!!!!!!.

I 'll be sure to check clearance before and after changing mounts.

I have found a reference in the manual text on engine removal to "packing pieces" but they are not shown in any diagrams or spares catalogue listing. Normally these sort of things are shown as part number and quantity A/R - as required.

I presume they are  suspension shims.

Edited by griffipaul
senior moment

30 minutes ago, griffipaul said:

Thanks guys for the clear and prompt response. You even beat Dave Lewis !!!!!!!!!!.

I 'll be sure to check clearance before and after changing mounts.

I have found a reference in the manual text on engine removal to "packing pieces" but they are not shown in any diagrams or spares catalogue listing. Normally these sort of things are shown as part number and quantity A/R - as required.

I presume they are  suspension shims.

That is what I used - lower wishbone shims.

Slight thread drift - but I've often wondered if any of the polybush manufacturers have considered making poly versions of engine and gearbox mounts? If so it would possibly solve the problem of very poor quality rubber in repro items.

Gav

the specification for rubber hardness is a dark art, the durometer tester and shore hardness are very specific for damping engine vibrations its this problem where parts are made and just look like but wont perform like the triumph  spec 

Amd you find new ones are worse in 6 months than the 40 yr old ones,  some surface ozone cracking is pretty normal and doesnt indicate they are about to part company

Pete

I reckon they may be too costly to manufacture? Or at least the retail price would be too great to be worthwhile, and stockists would not want to keep them on the shelf. 

I know some of us would pay a substantial premium for quality "rubber" stuff, but it can take years to sell just a small batch, space/investment that can be better used. (I know some retailers tried selling higher quality stuff, but that was the issue... Most triumph owners are too shortsighted to buy a premium product)