The embarrassing Herald restoration thread - footlin' and tinkering but no real motivation.

11 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Colin - Did you find the reason for the problems with the headlight alignment or did I miss that bit?

The MOT Centre state they could not register the lights at all, no 'dot pattern' on their machine no matter what they tried. I'm going to talk to a local mechanic later today to see what the options are for a four-headlamp assembly. That's the final job before retest, apart from a last-minute check of the bearings that are just niggling me as to correct endfloat.

31 minutes ago, Mathew said:

Can you borrow the lights from one of your other cars?

If I recall Colin's fleet list correctly, all his other cars have 7" headlights, while this one has a Vitesse bonnet with 5" headlights.

Anyway, my Vitesse has been running a set of slightly rust bubbled (and in one case, completely rusted out) headlamp reflectors as long as I've owned it and it's never failed the MOT on them! I have just replaced them, since the welding it's needed meant I'd had to remove the headlights anyway.

2 hours ago, Mathew said:

Thats a strange one with the end float! Normally its just tighten till not moving then back off a tad. New bearings required? 

It was one of the MOT failures (the sheet says "excessive movement at suspension ball joint, nearside front lower" Darned if I can find any but the bearings did rock) unless they mean steering track rod end? So I fitted new bearings and new oil seals; on one the felt is very thick indeed. I pre-greased it before fitting. The hub locked solid, I backed off one flat, it rotated; put the wheel on, spun it, and it nearly fell off with the free movement. Split pin out again, nut tightened one complete rotation, locked up again, wheel back on, rotated, and again, loads of movement. It's now on its' third tighten-up and hopefully both are correct; there's free spin and no movement when rocked. I've never had that before on any car, but am going to check again this afternoon.

Headlamps on the bonnet are indeed Vitesse (that bonnet was fitted back in the 1970s!) so all I can do is free up the adjusters and have them professionally aligned. Here's what it says on the MOT Refusal sheet; as you can see the headlamp data is just two question marks:

MOTref.jpg.482d7bc70382dad1b1bf6c0c4d4bfebe.jpg  204954403_MOTref21.jpg.07d4eebebb33ed01862d629ca033a959.jpg

Went out and checked; no further movement. In the meantime the Postman has called, so fitted some bling to the rear... new gasket sourced for a spare numberplate light cowl which has cleaned up much better than the scratched original; and TR6 overdrive badge fitted in place of the 13/60 badge. I love shiny bits!

A3CB397C-D7C8-439E-83DD-1B71B342E08D_1_105_c.jpg.bada4f549b2ea78d664184f47a583e44.jpg

That I must try - they're harder to fit when dry and the grease sits mostly on the surface.

The MOT is imminent, I may get a cancellation by the weekend, so in order to blind the tester I went through my collection of spare shiny bits looking for better hub caps than those already fitted, and found a set of four from a long-gone Herald which a PO, for some reason known only to himself, had painted silver. They looked suspiciously dent-free, so I went at them with paint stripper and Autosol. I was right - nothing wrong with them at all, and they've turned out amazingly shiny. Why do people do these things?

45E4EA35-CE55-43EE-BD65-D1D2F8897FC2_1_105_c.jpg.c2f4d102d5236557df102cf079590e58.jpg  23318372-AFC3-4A2F-8CF8-212F7161223A_1_105_c.jpg.bb77bf61b3a426095df683f85428f22c.jpg

It reminds me of one of my earlier Heralds, on which the elderly PO had rejuvenated the interior by painting seats, door trims and other trim panels in gloss black paint... not to mention the porthole-effect of the door trims and self-tappers...

interiords.JPG.1776d59064aa88cfb7a00d1aa24baf74.JPG

I still have that steering wheel, though, with the tightly-wrapped cover... it'll eventually go on my 1200 convertible. Very comfortable to grip when driving.

• Colin Lindsay changed the title to The embarrassing Herald restoration thread - sometimes wrong, sometimes right...

After all of the faffing about trying to locate a replacement 13/60 manifold due to a water leak from pinholed pipes, I managed to source two at the same time. To be sure, you may say, but after cleaning them up and debating which to fit I started up the Herald again this afternoon prior to an oil change. I don't think I need to change it so much as replace it... talk about marking territory. It's not coming from the rocker cover, but either the rear oil seal, or a suspiciously wet patch below the fuel pump. Either way, it's a lot. It's also pale brown and a bit mayonnaise-tainted, but could have been in there for the last decade. I'll monitor the new stuff, which is Penrite Classic. High in zinc, too...

FC11572F-E0EC-4E98-AF67-C2D467550EBE_1_105_c.jpg.f1e61249aab2dfdd4ff8bcd74c92125f.jpg

So: while the engine is getting up to warmth, the small spurts of steam from the manifold caught my eye. Is it leaking from underneath? Further along? Or: surely not from the hose and running down? A quick check of the pipe revealed water on the underside and a loose hose. NOT THE FLAMING MANIFOLD AT ALL but an untightened hose clip, sorted in ten seconds with a screwdriver. Ah well, I've now got three good manifolds... 

054E3DA1-56BC-4827-8AC2-78D9350D088B_1_105_c.jpg.db5b9c67d45233c011baadd29244f132.jpg

The oil change was pretty straightforward, except that the seized sump plug necessitated taking off the front wheel to gain better access. Once it came off I was concerned for my new discs:

5DECC120-EC79-403F-B40A-A7FAD1C534CB_1_105_c.jpg.578830a78eb4f2db4936db17d7b916b9.jpg

I know I refitted the original EBC Greenstuff pads when I replaced the discs but they're new, fitted by the PO just before the sale in a vain attempt to pass MOT. I'm sorry guys but I normally detest the things, so off they came; but no grit or other nasties could be found trapped in the material to explain the marks. However it's just as well that I did replace them, as I noticed something I hadn't when I replaced the discs and bearings.

71963619-07CA-4BF9-90D9-426F96A340AE_1_105_c.jpg.86731862966bcad81f51fdddab714a68.jpg  D05AD81C-2B5B-450F-8B0A-4F41D011D527_1_105_c.jpg.b993aec2b77c821b8dcf120400fadba6.jpg

There are no rubber seals on the caliper. As the car has not been used on the road since my ownership they can't have fallen off since the disc change; all I can assume is that I never noticed once the pistons were fully retracted. I am seriously, seriously, amazed that the PO lived as long as he did, driving the car for hundreds of miles in that state, and more so that the 'mechanic' who replaced the pads and hoses for him never noticed either. I do have caliper kits and new pistons in the drawer, but am wondering if a new pair of type 14 calipers might not be the best option. After all, it's now my foot on the pedal, not his.

So: the Greenstuff pads are going in the bin - my second set to go that way - and in the way of Triumph swings and roundabouts I don't need to replace the manifold but now need to replace the brakes. Great. Maybe I should just tie a string to it and throw the manifold out of the car and use it as an anchor. Or beat some sense into the PO with it.

I'm getting there... this morning's work is rebuilding the front caliper for the 13/60 then trying to stop the massive oil leak; I think the MOT man would fail me for making a mess of his nice clean floor. I moved it onto the ramp - a lot of fear and trepidation, given the state of the rest of the car, but the chassis is amazingly sound. Oil leaks from everywhere, diff gearbox and engine, but I tightened up the sump bolts, all of which were loose, and that might help. There's a slight blow-out in the exhaust silencer, but I'm getting there.

One off the ramp and out, one back in and onto the ramp.

IMG_0477.thumb.jpeg.8033c41712d0d1adc676f93d839a1656.jpeg

I have an exhaust to sort out on a Fiesta this afternoon - it's banging over bumps - plus the Freelander brakes are terrible so need to address those as we're heading off tomorrow... another TSSC Run in a modern... but I'm feeling happier now that I found no nasties under the 13/60. 

nice aspect Colin, pity to drop oil onto it!! You obviously have enough wheels (incl trailers) to keep you very busy!

Like you and Matthew I have enough spare parts to mech rebuild a herald or spitfire, spares mostly on 7mts long by 2.2mts high 5 shelf industrial shelving around the biggish double garage walls, a full front suspension set up both sides incl turrents and brakes, plus rear drive axles, hubs and vertical links, spare engines 1500, and 2 lt, spare g/box's Dolly 1850 for Vitesse, and a 1500 with J Type, spare 4:11 diff rebuilt, herald/Vitesse rear wings, Spitfire rads, NOS Herald steering rack, rebuilt steering column incl new indicator & headlight switch's, plus grey steering wheel, box's of new suspension and steering parts, box's of new wheel bearings for Herald/Spit and Vitesse, Herald/Vitesse NOS Stanpart front outriggers, home made Spit front outriggers, spare Spit GT6 chassis, various prop shafts, I could make a bitsa Spit/GT6 rolling chassis!! Oh I also have a spare complete Sprint engine, must rebuild it in case!! daughter would love to put a Sprint engine in the Spit, not going there to much mod reqd.

In case I fall off the perch all parts have tags or titles on the box's explaining what there for and their state of reconditioning, so the daughter (Spit Mk2) can sort out what she wants to keep or get rid of, sons not interested. I now have a little spare shelf space having given away all my Jag X Type spares to a Jag fanatic for use by that club. Now what can I buy!!

That's the wonderful thing about an Estate; take the roof off and everything is so accessible. Back in 2003 it was a complete car - roof, interior, chrome... then sat for over ten years and went downhill again. This is the second restoration, without the first actually being finished... those are brand new tyres that never saw the road and are no longer fit for use.

DSCF0928.jpg.4f6d934c504c0478dddf194503981bd3.jpg  DSCF0930.jpg.ad1abd384820fae683b39c6e61588a6b.jpg

Spare wheel goes in under the tank; the boot board, which is solid and covers the entire area, hinges up at the edge of the tank. 

I'm held up on that Estate by the dynamo, which isn't coming together as it should; so am back to the 13/60 again. The EBC brake pads are now binned for NOS original-spec pads, but it's the total lack of caliper seals that has amazed me. No seals on the pistons, but once I inspected the pistons, I realised that there is no lip to hold the seal on, in the first place...

71963619-07CA-4BF9-90D9-426F96A340AE_1_105_c.jpg.06ed8dfd5088d12dbd5ab041aff36888.jpg

I have a number of new pistons and a seal kit has just arrived through the post so this one will be fully refurbished by tomorrow at latest. The other side has darker paint so I suspect it's already been replaced with a newer item. I also repaired the screen washer system, which was broken due to a sticking non-return valve. A new one cured the problem.... for 24 hours.

9A04170D-2187-4CCA-8150-8F0C590EFF07_1_105_c.jpg.d8baf36dfa00206e91d3abebbb2a53c0.jpg

It took a little bit of head scratching to realise that the pipe inside the washer bottle - which I replaced - was too long. The valve was flat against the base of the bottle so that once pumped, it stuck to the base preventing any water getting in, but also not releasing due to the one-way nature of the valve. Now fixed and the screen jets shoot right over the screen onto the bootlid. Slight adjustment needed...

One of the last jobs was to replace the very melted sidelamp rubber. How does anyone let a car get into this state? I had to peel it off, then scrape the rest; petrol, razorblade and fingernail. It was solid, like hard plastic, and stuck fast. I got most of it in the end. Area in behind cleaned out and Waxoyled, then a new rubber fitted.

0E638C86-CA3B-4BBF-8963-CE6D49145C10_1_105_c.jpg.9fccbee56f3a0d08fde89e0c13f73a80.jpg FC0B7BBA-F398-437C-BA56-D436B96CD4FE_1_105_c.jpg.31952a237ab0119beb4c926bb4432512.jpg

5F2C4B73-F519-4594-9B52-FB2275D95854_1_105_c.jpg.5eaa9cd82ac81ba3fe0a293764d198db.jpg

Looks much better! The headlamps have been washed out with dishwater rinse aid, which works a treat, then dried out and will be refitted shortly with newly polished chrome rims. All I need to do now is adjust the beams for MOT and we're on the final stretch for the test on 16th October. I need to pass; there's a massive backlog and the next available slots are in December...

• Colin Lindsay changed the title to The embarrassing Herald restoration thread - preparing for the winter

Still on the white convertible; I've rebuilt the front caliper completely, broken it down, sandblasted, repainted and rebuilt with new seals and pistons. I've noticed that the new pistons are very slightly shorter with curved edges, but at least they have a lip to hold the seal in place. Refitted and bled the system, but I find it very spongy. It may improve when the new pads bed in, but otherwise I've a full rebuild of master cylinder and kunifer pipes planned.

B40AE52A-DDAE-4208-8066-0D518896AA35_1_105_c.jpg.45374938df7a3498bf8d1d0b9cdf522c.jpg DSCF2129.jpg.a0f24286f9ec17e33bb7ca1773ae4079.jpg

Before I fitted that caliper I decided the bolts needed paint too so they all got another coat. Looks well. As I was on a roll, I went for another bout of sandblasting and repainting of a waterpump housing and suspension components. I like to have a set in hand so all of these are spares, and will be ready for a straight swap when the time comes. I've invested in a full set of polybushes  - these are Flo-Flex bushes and come in a rather fetching orange shade. This set covers everything from front anti-roll bar to rear spring. I had already blasted and cleaned wishbones using an older set in yellow (I think those came from KRGClassics) and are fitted to all my other Triumphs, but these are now the last four left, so therefore I had to buy the other full set. Which, incidentally, was 30% off so worked out at about £56 for the lot.

DSCF2142.jpg.88fa83589be35c0465978dcd26e701dc.jpg  DSCF2159.jpg.1ec8d8a81800b480bed1f41921f8b1dc.jpg

The orange versions are quite good, not as hard as the yellow, and they fit very easily especially when lubricated with spare grease from my Superflex kits. All front suspension components are now complete, and the replacement waterpump housing is on the shelf ready for the word.

DSCF2151.jpg.990a162484fb0b69a7919552f0430a7e.jpg  DSCF2168.jpg.5efe005be3e89eafb537bd8abc97e972.jpg

As a final touch I've dug out an old SAH rocker cover that I've had for years; it would never have fitted my 1200s due to the side breather attachment, but the 13/60 will use this admirably. All I need to do is work out how to adapt a gasket, as it's more square than the original rockers, so the standard gasket won't fit. I may butcher a cork 6-cylinder version which will have extra to play with. Of course, I'm planning ahead and jumping the gun slightly. I need the MOT first.

DSCF2164.jpg.f8a9bdf287c546b5f8f69430081d7665.jpg

• Like 1

• Colin Lindsay changed the title to The embarrassing Herald restoration thread - and now, the dreaded MOT

Well, it's been a busy two weeks or so since I was last on the forum; I disappeared off to recharge the mental batteries and get some things done, which include insulating a roofspace, sanding a ceiling and trimming bushes! There was also some fairly intensive work on the Herald 13/60 for an impending MOT - over here we test in Government Test Centres and the waiting list is almost three months. Add to that the fact that this Herald has been prohibited from use on the public road until repaired and retested, so this would be the first drive in the Herald since purchase. 

I rebuilt the brakes and bearings, but the brakes were still amazingly spongy. It may be down to the fact that they have not been bedded in - in the hopes of a quick settling-down I had already binned the terrible EBC Greenstuff pads and fitted NOS brake pads from the shelf. The system was again rebled, still poor, and a quick inspection of the rebuilt caliper revealed traces of brake fluid dripping down...

DSCF2207.jpg.3d4c37f964aa278cb8a8f2289cb39c8d.jpg

Thankfully it turned out that it was just spilt fluid from the bleed process. The brakes are as good as can be; I suspect the master cylinder is worn or an incorrect size , due to the length of pedal travel - it's the extension version for drum to disc conversion using type 12 calipers, and these are 14s - and a new one is ready for fitting. I also have to remake new pipes to overcome the somewhat imaginative routing by the previous owners.

The biggest problem was the rich running; the smell of burning oil from the engine is intense. The car started from cold with no choke. I simply could not strike a balance between a good idle speed and a stalled engine. My first action was to replace the carb with a spare - this made no difference whatsoever and in fact would not run properly at all; the fault was traced to serious wear on the replacement carb which might as well be binned. Next job was to strip down the original carb, and the state of the diaphragm was amazing. This one had been trapped between the two body halves...

DSCF2187.jpg.9c46be1847c86ea12e24d7b12ee77583.jpg DSCF2185.jpg.721a6cf08427d40a34f4c16c5ec4041b.jpg

The carb itself was black with deposits and full of gritty debris. All was stripped down, jets removed and cleaned. A new diaphragm fitted, the piston would not seat, and close examination revealed a bent needle. This was also replaced, but the engine still ran very rich. The fact that the car was idling for long periods did not help, so I sneaked it out on the road in the dark, and drove 300 yards to a nearby Demense with a cloud of smoke so dense it showed in the rear lights. I met one car, a Range Rover, who blinded me with his full beam in revenge... mine are too high, I think, and one of the reasons for the MOT failure in 2019. It also felt very wandery, and the brakes were very soft.

Back to the garage... the new sparkplugs looked like afro hairstyles. Very very sooty.

This time I replaced the jets, but again it made no difference. However, I was not sure of the spare carb from which the jets had been taken - it was a very clean, almost unused version, but something still niggled. I dug out an old 13/60 carb and took the jets from that, removed the carb from the car once again, and assembled it on the bench. This time I set the mixture off the car, turning down 2.5 turns instead of the recommended three. Back on the car, it started with the choke, and died when the choke was pushed back in... looking good so far. Unfortunately the PO has fitted an incorrect choke cable on which the outer cable was too short and he had added a length of rubber tubing, so I decided to risk the cable with an unclamped outer and manually set it at the carb. I tuned the idle by ear and it seemed alright...  

Next job was to align the headlamps, which were so far off they signalled to passing aircraft. It was quite a difficult job to align them as the adjusters were all stuck or painted over, but eventually with the aid of my garage door I set them to low and left. They'll have to do.

Following the discovery of sooty black water dripping on the garage floor I reckoned the silencer was defunct, but could find no holes in it... however take no chances. I pinched this new one off the red convertible and it certainly looks better, although no quieter - I've since discovered that it's a semi-sports box... Back on the bench I found that the old one had split along the seam, so there was the fault - invisible from below.

DSCF2201.jpg.3c395d98abcce55125bfef571793958c.jpg 88A5F84A-B443-4142-8344-B2CDB645A95B_1_105_c.jpg.57922d2e3f41e0344380664b384e6bd2.jpg

While it was up there I readjusted the rear brakes, in the vain hope of improving them. After that there was nothing to do but wait for Saturday afternoon. I don't think we'll pass but at least I'll know what else needs doing.

SATURDAY AFTERNOON....

The first legal drive in the Herald - on the way to a pre-booked test. I wanted to go with the top down, so the weather was dry but cold. In fact it was Baltic. 

The Herald started well enough, and ran well, and once the choke was pushed back in at the carb end we set off for the fourteen miles to the Test Centre along quiet roads - deliberately, to avoid any embarrassment of breakdowns or clouds of smoke. Amazingly, there wasn't any, although I was paranoid for the entire journey. Pulled well, accelerated well, ran quietly.... amazing. At one point I smelled smoke but it was only a farmer burning hedges.

I braked repeatedly; every few hundred yards I stood on the brakes. No idea if it did anything at all to improve the bedding-in but we did slow to a stop most of the times. At the Test Centre they took the Herald off me, into the test bay, and closed the doors. Due to Covid I have to remain outside. My parting desperately hopeful shot to the tester was: "Stand on the brakes, there's no servo in these..."

Twenty minutes later they drove back out again and parked in the car park in front of all the other drivers waiting on their cars. Embarrassment...

"There's a problem" announces the tester. "Can you confirm your address?" I did. 

"The printer's gone down. We can't print the Certificate so we'll post it out." It passed. No minors, no advisories, a full pass and no Prohibition any more. We're fully legal.

I drove home in the freezing cold, 60 mph, hardly a car on the roads, it started to rain, the wipers were terrible, and I fell in love with Heralds all over again. 

1412380021_AOIedited.jpg.b4631a4e294eed22332d12d19f25021f.jpg

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

We can't print the Certificate so we'll post it out

Well, I said in the PM that I'd keep my fingers crossed that it would pass, I sure it would have even without!

Now get the miles in before winter comes 😁

Congratulations On the pass Colin.

I had an original Beetle many years ago that had been standing for months, but was due an MoT, so dropped it off, fully prepared for it to fail, only for it roll out the other side of the bay with a pass!

This was one of those MoT stations where you didn’t pay for a failure, so I hadn’t come out with any cash, and this was pre-debit cards.

Imagine my embarrassment then having to explain that I needed to go visit a cash machine!

Karl

• Haha 1