An unfortunate accident

dougbgt6

My brother's 1500 Spitfire failed the MOT, wiring problems, weeping bleed nipple. nothing really serious. He took it home, no hurry to fix it, re-test within 2 weeks. Once sorted  he took it for a spin up and down the road, then this happened. There must have been some indication on the MOT something was not right? 

To add insult to injury he had to wait till 2am to be recovered 100yds from home in full view of all the neighbours. After the initial reaction "TAKE IT TO THE DUMP!!!! :angry:",  new parts are on order, unfortunately he's unlikely to make the re-test deadline.

driveshaft.PNG.5b0999c3c082d0607c1b47fc93eaaed9.PNG

Doug

The problem is that the uj is under (a lot) of tension, so you don't feel play until the spring is disconnected. But to be that bad is extreme, but I doubt they inspect the uj except for "obvious" play.

Make sure he buys quality ujs....(but as I guess it is a complete halfshaft you have little control over it)

Hi Doug,

tell Paul to take the prop to Propshaft services in Feltham. They will sort it good and proper

TW14 0RX

0208 844 2265

I have no connection with them had good work carried out

Roger

Happily bobbing along after fiddling with the carbs, all other issues sorted for the MOT retest and then all hell breaks loose. One horrendous bang. I honestly thought the rear suspension would be spread all over the road. 400 yards away from home and recovering from double heart bypass I was not pushing the bugger home. The recovery waggon came and went, can't get it on his recovery wagon, another two hours later another recovery wagon and she was home. Stripped down the next day, now to get the bits to fix. Thanks to all for the tips on where to go. It will pass the MOT. 

Paul

Hello 

I would get the new drive shaft from Fitchetts  he tells me they are made in the UK(Midlands) and are better quality than the 2 chocolate ones I fitted (both failed with the yoke coming loose)

1 has done about 5000 miles and 1 about 3000 miles

Roger

ps I mean the new ones have done this mileage

In full view of neighbours who might have a car and a bit of rope?.... And no mates with a car and rope? Breaking down isn't any reason to worry about what the neighbours think..... Esp if they're the type you can't call on for a bit of help.

MOT doesn't check the clips on the UJ's as far as I know. 

Shaun,

My brother had a double bypass last year and doesn't pull anything! He was reluctant to move it with the rear wheels on the ground being unsure what had happened. 

The car has the loudest sports exhaust I've heard on a Triumph and would certainly annoy me if I lived next door to it. Running the engine for extended periods has used up a lot of neighbourly good will.

You are correct, MOT doesn't check circlips on UJs, but are supposed to check for movement in the suspension that shouldn't be there, this would have revealed movement in the drive chain.

Doug

The failure was probably instantaneous  and not obvious as a check , either the circlip popped out or the yoke fractured

The cross pins look  in good order so its not a needle failure

Its my gues as the yoke is broken that gave way the circlip lets go and the cup flies out 

Followed by almighty bang crash wallop as the shaft flings around  with no warning of its intentions

I think we should start a new game to try to make interesting phrases from the headers by placing certain threads in order. Anything rude would be purely accidental but would drive Kevin crazy tying to moderate it.

Ok, so its Saturday, its raining and theres nothing worth watching on the telly.

Incidentally the top three now read... an unfortunate accident/new pm/joke..... all thread were started by Doug & Pete ????

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

I think we should start a new game to try to make interesting phrases from the headers by placing certain threads in order. 

Incidentally the top three now read... an unfortunate accident/new pm/joke..... all thread were started by Doug & Pete ????

Damn it Pete! He's on to us!

db

Fair enough about the help Doug. I've had recoveries from not far away too tbh.

My most memorable was breaking down a mile from home went I was 20ish and the AA saying I could be taken home or could complete my journey. So I had a free 200mile ride in a low loader to my parents place, which is where I was going, and dad fixed it. Saved on petrol, arrived in comfort and saved on a repair bill. Result. 

• Like 1