An unfortunate accident

dougbgt6

10 hours ago, ShaunW said:

My most memorable was breaking down a mile from home went I was 20ish and the AA saying I could be taken home or could complete my journey. So I had a free 200mile ride in a low loader to my parents place, which is where I was going, and dad fixed it. Saved on petrol, arrived in comfort and saved on a repair bill. Result. 

My Discovery blew a radiator hose on the M6 just above Preston on the way to Stoneleigh; as it was 4pm on a Saturday we couldn't get a replacement and the poor Recovery driver had to take me all the way to Stranraer and get me onto the midnight ferry, then return home again himself,  while I was picked up at the other side by another driver who took me home. I got there about 4am. As I had the same option from the AA - home or onward journey - I did debate about going on to Stoneleigh... but as I would have had to get home somehow afterwards I had to forego two nights accommodation and the pleasure of the show.

I reckon I got my money's worth from the AA that day.

21 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi John,

it may have been one of those multi tube (octopus) affairs)

Roger

It was; it was like trying to fit bagpipes to the engine when I obtained a spare. The top part split along the lower edge for about six inches so any kind of repair was impossible. I saw what I thought were puffs of smoke in the rearview mirror; pulled in and stopped but there was nothing obviously wrong, so continued for about a mile to the next roundabout and checked - when I lifted the bonnet there was coolant everywhere. No damage to the engine, thank goodness, as I kept that one for the next seven years and still miss it.

th.jpeg.51f9ccff22c1dfcbd0915b38d01e4d02.jpeg

Ah, the problem is revealed!   BUT....

The current replacement is as you show, Colin, but aniother (earlier?) version is like this:

Image result for Discovery radiator hose

You will observe that this is composed of simple hoses with T-connectors.     Complexity provides reliability through redundancy!

Anyway, what do those minor hoses do?   I'll bet one is heater, the other some inessential function.     Cut them off, clamp shut (double over, close with twisted wire) and replace the main hose with a single length!    Get you home, cold and  lacking whatever the other function was, but home.   The AA can forget the long transport, they save money, you get home with minor discomfort.  Could do the same with the 'octopus'!

John

Preston to Scarva, Colin?  Pshaw! Im sure that there have been longer recoveries from, say, the 10CR?

Silverback was recovered from "somewhere in France" to Lancaster, when my Woodruff key in a rear hub sheared on the way back from Classic Le Mans.     I was lucky to have the Spitfire Aces with me as I hitched a ride home with Vin in the Bananananananana Spitfire.      The car followed two weeks later, with significant damage to the exhaust and doors, thanks to the transporter and ferry loaders, and a load of rotting food in the back, thanks to the French garagiste who locked it in his compound and 'a pris la poudre' before I could get anything out.     Never ask for help in France, when their rugby team is playing!

John

PS Not that I have any LR parts, but next time you break down at Preston, call me!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, johny said:

hmmmm or they bodge it up just for it to fail again causing major engine damage or even a horrible accident for which they'll be held responsible as they changed the design of the system and didnt use authorised parts.....

Yep that's the problem. One thing for certain though is just like all insurance, the cost of these isolated incidents is more then covered by all the people who subscribe and never use them. I've had AA cover for donkey's years (30?) primarily so I'm reassured when my wife does long journeys on her own, but apart from using them for that one rather cheeky recovery, and one other 5 miler from a guy passing and going my way anyway, we've never needed them. In fact I suspect that because I've told that story more than once in the last 30 years I've probably encouraged a couple of new members and the whole incident has earned them a profit.  

When it comes to spares it depends on the guy they send, as far as I know (happy to be corrected) they're basically self employed and whatever they supply or sell is done on their own initiative. I suspect their contract will AA though would prevent them from fitting non std parts which might impact on the AAs reputation amongst those not as reasonable as we are when they fail 10miles down the road. 

I'm with the RAC, as are my family.    Every time I've broken down and needed help (less than a handful, I hasten to add) it's been a uniformed, RAC man in a liveried truck, all excellent.  Are they self-employed?

But when Daughter shredded a tyre on the Mway, 60 miles north of here on a bleak stretch of the M6, it was different.     No spare tyre, only an inflator/sealer kit in a cheap modern.   She rang RAC, told she was a solo woman, with a year old baby.   Then, she rang us to say she was going to be late!    It was 1600 on a cold December day.    I grabbed a thermos of coffee and some biscuits, jumped in the car and set off to support her.    I arrived, over an hour later, to find them alone.    A transporter from a local garage, sent by the RAC, arrived forty minutes after me.       

It wasn't even a 'busy' day, with lots of holiday traffic and consequent call outs.   I wasn't impressed by this and told the RAC so, to no avail.   And the local garage fitted a wrong sized tyre!

Daughter now has a proper spare tyre - her car had a wheel well, but filled with the sealer, a first aid kit, etc.etc.   Useless rubbish!

John

I have just had a major disagreement with the RAC. Been a member for over 40 years and now due to renew again. Price from their main web site £144.75. Price for the same service using Tesco clubcard points £196 (£65ish using vouchers). Yes, I know that the voucher price is cheaper, but the top end price should be the same for both.

Probably better to get a £10 a month fee bank account. We did that with nationwide bs. Includes breakdown on 2 cars (you don't have to supply reg number until you call the service) plus you get very comprehensive holiday insurance... Those would cost us way more than the monthly fee. But never had to use the breakdown cover....

However, for the first time in many many years I have made use of cover on my triumphs. Propshaft in failed in Scotland , luckily at the end of a tour with friends. Got recovered from our final hotel, and arranged so it would be in the morning so we enjoyed our last night with a splendid dinner etc. 600 miles, 6 trucks home at 4am. (Good friend dropped new ujs into my house, fitted next morning by midday). Then 2 days later wiring loom in the engine bay burnt out. Still unsure why, but can was  there in 40mins, 20 mins later home. Very friendly. (20 mins later I was off to Spa in my Toledo, which worked just fine but not quite the same on track. Still outcornered some bloke in an S2000!)

Those were both with the AA organised by DAS from my Peter James insurance. No issues at all with that service.

My car has a skinny spare, plenty of room for a full size, as I understand it it is legal to have an alloy and steel wheel on the same axle aslong as the tyre is the same size.

Often thought of getting a full size spare as the skinny is limited for speed and distance.

Regards

Paul

3 hours ago, JohnD said:

Daughter now has a proper spare tyre - her car had a wheel well, but filled with the sealer, a first aid kit, etc.etc.   Useless rubbish!

John

Wife's Freelander is the same; I don't like it as with anything more than a pinhole the stuff's useless.

I was with the AA, simply because I worked for the RAC way back and didn't want any of my former workmates laughing at me if they attended a breakdown... :) but gave it up as membership had gone to an unbelievable price. I called them out three times in over twenty years of membership... but they claimed I had broken my membership by missing a year so was not eligible for any kind of long membership discount. (I originally typed long member discount but don't know if you get anything for that...)

My GT6 Insurance supposedly has breakdown cover, but I've not tried it yet.

9 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Classic recovery can be to the value of the vehicle.

Regards

Paul

But not in Europe. They seem to put an arbitrary amount, thinking is/was 3k or suchlike. And if they say it would cost too much, they write the car off. At that value, not the agreed value.

Happened on a 10cr. Chap got a hire car, which are into the total allowed. He ended up collecting the car himself using a trailer.

Obviously t+c vary a bit, but great care is needed in checking before a trip.

I agree with what Clive says above.  We were recovered from a Swiss alp during the 2011 10CR (knocking engine - later found to be No3 BE failure) and we nearly reached the spend limit which was £3K at the time, and still is I think, with Peter James and the AA.  We had 3 hire cars, a train trip, and a Swiss classic car garage enlisted to recover it, diagnose it and fix it.  I declined the fix and asked for the car to be transported home.  The cost was just under £3K all told, and I'm sure it would have broken the limit had Oldtimer Garage in Switzerland repaired it and then had it sent back to me.

Later asking what would have happened had it all gone over the limit, I was told that the car would have been "disposed of in country" and I would have received a £3K payment and lost title to the car. There would, of course, be no payment from Peter James to cover the difference between that and its agreed value. Agreed value is worthless under this situation. They did say that at any stage, while the costs had not reached £3K yet, I could go and collect the car myself and claim the cost back, as long as the total cost did not exceed £3K.

One thing I forgot...  When the car was recovered the V5 was needed by the garage/recovery agent, so that the car could be legally kept, transported, repatriated by ferry, etc.  I was reluctant to hand it over so gave them a colour photocopy I had with me. They were fine with this, and I was happier hanging on to the original.

I also take good quality copies of all the car docs, plus driving licence and passport. It hasn't happened to me, but I've heard of French police insisting that they have a copy of certain documents if they pull you over, and will take you to a local police station to copy them. Having copies to give them takes the wind out of their sails a bit, and gets you on your way again more quickly.  With smartphone cameras this might not be such a problem these days, but you never know.