Herald Windscreen

Johnearn

Hello all- I'm in need of a new windscreen for my 1971 convertible and have been quoted £400 and a 12 week wait by Pilkingtons... has anyone any experience of the screens sold by Rimmers for a third of the price? If I buy the cheaper one is it any less likely to fit or be of poorer quality? It will be an insurance job so its not the cost as much as the 3 month wait which means no more shows for me this summer...

Any thoughts welcome

John

They could all be the same items as there cant be too many companies still producing these screens. Rimmers and others just get them cheaper because theyre made in batches and they buy a large quantity. You could always ask which make they are? 

25 minutes ago, Johnearn said:

Thanks all- I asked Rimmers what make the screen was but apparently they are "not allowed to divulge manufacturer information"! they wouldn't say why

In case we go directly and buy from them, without going through a parts supplier who presumably add their own whack on.

I would get the R*mmers one and check it very carefully before fitting it. If it appears sub-standard in any way, send it back as not fit for purpose. You have no guarantee that the one from Pilks would be any better for the extra money and if it is a one off/special order, you will have a difficult job getting them to take it back if you have problems with it.

It may be worthwhile contacting a company like A*toglass. They reckon that they can replace the winscreen of my mk iv Spitfire. Whether they really could is a different matter

What has happened to 'rubber' composition parts these days. From the numerous reports here, a lot of the parts are useless after a very short time, whereas 'new old stock' still appears to be serviceable after all the years of storage. So much for technological advances.

I think the repro rubber stuff is made very cheaply without some of the additives used in OEM stuff. Get hoses etc off a 10 year old car and they are perfect. I have used brand new OEM nissan radiator hoses, again excellent quality and will last many many years. But a new triumph rubber hose will fall apart in a year or so...

Rubber engine mounts are an issue, but I have used OEM jag mounts with so fabricated brackets. The mounts are 3x the price of repro ones, but still way better value.

Thanks everyone- I decided to order the Rimmers one and will check it carefully on receipt, also ordered new seal etc even though the existing one looks in very good nick- also managed to get a local fitter to agree to come out to fit it as the national company which is my insurance's 'approved repairer' said they can't (or won't) do mobile fitting on classics-too tricky apparently...

• 4 weeks later...