cluch pedal solid

coxy123

Hi, i went out in my 1500 non overdrive spitfire last night. it drove great,did about 40 miles, until i was on my way home and I couldn't get it into gear, the clutch pedal wont go down far enough. Any thoughts please

Pivot pin dropped out of the actuating arm in the bell housing would be my guess. Usually fixable without removing the gearbox but you will need to remove the H-frame and tunnel cover.

The original pins are parallel and can (and do) fall straight through but replacements are available with heads so they can’t.

I had a similar problem some time ago. The clutch slave cylinder was the problem. New rubbers and fluid solved it. The H frame and tunnel cover still has to come out, but it can be done from underneath if you are a double jointed masocist of short stature. Also check your clutch fluid levels. Could simply be a seal failure and all your clutch fluid in now in your engine bay.

I helped my brother do his 1500 Spitfire clutch and had problems when it was all back together. Received wisdom was it might be the pin and you could do it in situ. We'll we couldn't! Much easier splitting the bell housing and pulling it and the gearbox out. Do it on the bench.

Doug

I'm sure that Nick is right. This happened to my Spitfire and I was able to fix it without removing the gearbox. First take off the H frame and gearbox cover and have a look on the right side of the bell housing, near the pedals. the pivot pin fits through the squarish bulge, running vertically. You may be lucky and find that the pin is still there, dangling from the bottom of the bell housing but it's probably long gone. Either way I would replace it with one with a shoulder at the top to prevent it falling out again. The only difficult bit will be getting the hole through the clutch release arm to get back in line with the hole through the bell housing so that the new pin can drop into place. Taking off the slave cylinder may help here as you can grip the release pin and pull the arm that way, and try sticking a thin screwdriver down through the pivot pin hole to drag the arm into place. Good luck!

Adrian

Edited by Adrian Cooper
dodgy punctuation

yes you can see the hole in the clutch hsg,  look down  the rh side  in line with the baulkhead look for a sort of 8mm dia hole showing amongst the dirt 

its there  ...really    dont need the tunnel off  have a good look around 

if the tolerance ring ( asort of crinkled bush ) has broken up its inside the throwout hole bore  then its box off or you get a rattling good fit

its this daft bush that holds the straight pin in situ, hence update to one with a head on , even a long shanked bolt will work 

but if the bush thing has disintegrated the hole in the arm is much bigger than the pin or hole in the clutch hsg.

Pete

• 3 weeks later...