Classical dash - GT6 dashboard

rulloyd

Well pleased with the new dash I received today from Classical Dash.  Highly recommended.

I see they have some bad press on the web.  Their products are excellent (or my dash is anyway) - it's their business skills that are shyte and lead to customer concern.   Ian Bond who runs the company is chronically poor at answering email or the phone or returning calls which makes for a fraught transaction.

Don't let that put you off.  It's his company that supplies Rimmers et al (he tells me!) and my dash was £65 cheaper direct from him than from Rimmers.

I did try to veneer my original dash myself btw, which is another story I will relay sometime.  Overall my advice would be if you are handy and you like a project, go ahead - but for me I was never happy so changed tack and bought one from a professional.  I am handy and a perfectionist.  The trouble is you learn as you go along and it's very easy to chip the veneer around the tiny gaps between guages / switches (1st effort).  If it is a GT6 you have the 3 sections to contend with, making it important to align the sections to ensure grain consistency (the sections themselves don't directly align as the centre section is narrower than the 2 sides (2nd effort).  Also I see all types of veneers, laquers and varnishes being used - but it's very important to get it right as it won't last.  I veneered it twice and although they looked very good to everone else, I was never really happy and it took a lot of effort.  In the end bought one and looking at it I doubt many non professionals could match the quality.  Pictures below don't do it justice.

Just my view.  I know many people are very happy with their creations!

Incidently, the colour of the new dash certainly doesn't match my old one.  Clasical Dash had warned me that I may be surprised.  They say this is the original colour, using the same techniques - and will naturally fade over time.  But I only have their word for that!

Rich

Dash 2.jpg

Dash 3.jpg

Dash 4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

I recommend Classical Dash 100%. My order in American Walnut in high gloss has arrived today, and it’s the most beautiful thing I have ever seen 😜 

Ian Bond is a very nice chap, although extremely busy he managed to send my dash within 4-5weeks as promised.

If you want quality, contact Classical Dash 

ACFD891E-2641-4CC0-8D0B-F99CDF413476.jpeg

• Like 1

On 09/08/2019 at 14:49, dougbgt6 said:

ru,

I'm confused, this dash has holes for air vents, but your post says you have GT6 mk2 which don't have air vents. Are you going to put them in?

No I'm wrong, it's MK1s have no vents.

I'll get my coat.

Doug

Mk1 owners are cool enough already. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1