Tanky

Hello all. I wonder if you can help? I am just about to purchase my first Spit 1500. I'm a bit confused. I have a photo of the plate under the bonnet and the number is 85811 FH. However I have seen on another website that this cannot be from a 1500. Is this true? Am I just about to be ripped off? Please help.

Many thanks all.

Charlie

If it ends in FH it may be the body number - is it a long thin plate?

This one I posted recently from a Spit, it's the long thin plate at the bottom and also ends in FH. It's likely that the one in my photo is a 1300, same shape as the 1500 but more commonly referred to as the Mk iv. I think 1500 Spitfires have an FM prefix to the commission number. (or are they both FH and FM?)

The commission number should be on a large black and white rectangular plate above it and it will start with FH or FM depending on the model.

You'll also have an engine number on the side of the block that will help, especially if there's a chance that it could be an earlier 1300 that has been upgraded to the bigger engine. Can you post whatever numbers you can find and we'll discuss?

spit.JPG.53666f23b635e9d293ff60f7428183b4.JPG

https://www.canleyclassics.com/technical-archive/engine-number-identification-chart

Can you check the engine number  ???    FH is a 1296cc  MKIV Spitfire      if original 1500 would be an FM prefix

The FH   Commission  plate prefix was used on mkIV and 1500  after serial 75001  yours is 85811  so well into 1500 production

So think you are safe

Edited   data found 

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

Oh my God. Thank you so much guys. I think I will be safe in my purchase with you looking out for me. I can't wait to see you all at a meet somewhere. I think I'm going to keep it BRG as it is at the moment. It has MX5 seats but I get the originals with it which will have to be refurbished and recovered. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Charlie

36 minutes ago, Tanky said:

I get the originals with it which will have to be refurbished and recovered. Any ideas?

Owen at Park Lane Classics is highly regarded on here for his seat foams and covers.  I got my foams from him, good price and good fit although you may have to wait in the queue. 

Damn you Badwolf!!! You're too quick for me!

http://www.parklaneclassics.co.uk/

Doug

1 hour ago, Tanky said:

It has MX5 seats but I get the originals with it which will have to be refurbished and recovered. Any ideas?

Unless you're:

1. Looking to make the car as original as possible.
  2. Just drive it a few miles to the local country pub on a Sunday.
  3. Tall.

keep the MX5 seats!

Even freshly rebuilt with new foams the standard seats start to show that the Spitfire was built to a price on a longer drive, and nowhere near as comfortable as the MX5 ones.

wise advice get t know your car before you do anything,,drive it for a season and list any ups and downs you encounter

avoid any must have ideas.  stick to the triumph basics and it will do what it says on the tin   and you gain confidence the machine will take you out .....and bring you back   as they used too.

Pete

7 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

wise advice get t know your car before you do anything,,drive it for a season and list any ups and downs you encounter

Strongly echo this advice, and use of 'Search' will usually answer what may appear to be at first a conundrum; unless the result is a thread drift that at this stage may require some lateral thinking!  Going to the local area meet is highly recommended judging from the reaction of some new members down here.

Dick