My Spitfire

NickTruman

5 minutes ago, Graham C said:

Very interesting but what is the car next to it?

Sorry to ask the the question as the your project sounds very interesting and yes it will be a FUN car to drive

Anyway how do you intend to keep it on the ground?

Graham 

Hi Graham

the car next to it is my 1977 308 GT4 Dino 

being mid engined, keeping the spitfire grounded should be easy, I will also push air through the bonnet, radiator and intercooler to keep the front down. Like the Ferrari, there will be a floor that covers the entire underneath to stop air lifting the car. 

• 2 months later...

My spitfire now has from suspension! The uprights are BMW from a 1 or 3 series. I have used shortened standard springs. These will be replaced for height adjustable shocks eventually.

Next is to start fitting the body tub, first it needs a floor and sills.. probably not in that order. The track rod ends will be relocated when the tub is fitted and I have some weight on the chassis.. Still not sure about ride height, for the moment this is at 150mm, but it seems quite high

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

On 17/08/2019 at 20:53, NickTruman said:

being mid engined, keeping the spitfire grounded should be easy

I know nothing about the technical side of things and am seriously impressed with the work you're doing, but surely that engine is to the rear rather than the middle? Or does the term cover a bigger range than I imagine?

The Spanish licence built ME109 's after the war, indeed fitted with Merlin engines - a bit ironic ! If you watch the Battle of Britain Film closely, you'll see all the ME109's have two bumps on the top engine cowling. These are covering the Merlin cylinder heads and the exhaust stubs are at the top - the original German ME 109's Daimler Benz was fitted upside down. All the Heinkel 111's in the film were also fitted with Merlins.

Gav

• Like 1

On 14/11/2019 at 13:23, Colin Lindsay said:

I know nothing about the technical side of things and am seriously impressed with the work you're doing, but surely that engine is to the rear rather than the middle? Or does the term cover a bigger range than I imagine?

Hi Colin

Thank you! As has been said, if the engine is in front of the differential, its mid engined. If the engine is behind the differential, its rear engine, i.e. Porsche 911, Beetle etc.

I'm looking forward to getting the body on the chassis, last weekend I ground out all the rot on the passenger side and replaced all the steel, I have a load of sheet steel coming this week, so i will make my floor panels. The only shop bought panels i am using are the 2 sills and sill ends, the rest I will make. 

So for now the body has some rigidity :) Ive also cut the boot out and will cut out the rear arches, the rear wheel are 6" wider than a spitfire and 10" further back.. So a widened LWB spitfire :)

I'm thinking of using lotus Elise rear wings or even the whole rear clam shell, sould look quite nice.

IMG_1715(1).jpg

I have now cut out the rot from my Spitfire :) the sills, sill strengtheners, floorpans, bulkheads. I have also removed the inner wheel arches to make way for the longer wheelbase.

So the body is now rigid for the first time in many years, it also doesn't fall to pieces in my fingers like before. I have one more floorpan to make, and the inner sills.. I am really glad i rescued this car.

IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1756.JPG

IMG_1757.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

The latest on my car.

The car is welded up now, all rot has been removed and replaced with new metal. The rear arches have been fabricated and an inner frame has been  welded into the rear section to give rigidity and add another mounting point to the chassis. There are a couple of small area still to be addressed but on the whole the major body work is complete.

The front is also now at the correct ride height.

The body is now off the car again and i am fitting the engine wiring, cooling pipes, gearbox linkages and brake pipe. After this i can finally attach the body for the very last time :)

unfortunately i have had to strip the lower end off the engine as it looks like the previous owner had dropped the engine and the sump was cracked and was leaking oil 

I have bought some doors, they fit (just) i will need to open the door opening somehow, the car was without a chassis for so long the door gaps have shrunk. I have also bought a bonnet which i am picking up at the end of the month.

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_2036.JPG

IMG_2038.JPG

IMG_2042.JPG

IMG_2044.JPG

Spitfire rebuild January 12 2020 2.jpg

VEZL0229.JPG

• Like 2

Wow! Radical!   Well done, Nick!

I ws worried by the apparently unsupported brackets for the upper end of the dampers, but I see the frame you have around the rim of the boot supports it.

But why no straight strut across between them?    That would avoid the considerable leverage on the arrangment you have.

Not criticism, interest!

John

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Wow! Radical!   Well done, Nick!

I ws worried by the apparently unsupported brackets for the upper end of the dampers, but I see the frame you have around the rim of the boot supports it.

But why no straight strut across between them?    That would avoid the considerable leverage on the arrangment you have.

Not criticism, interest!

John

Hi John

I thought of that, however I need to put the exhaust somewhere, however if i can i will brace the dampers between the bolts making a removable strut (thats the plan anyway)

Regards

Nick