Ticking from rear of car when driving

Anglefire

When I took the car out last weekend (and previously to be fair) I noticed a ticking from the back passenger side. 

Its not prop as the speed isn't that fast compared to the road speed

any thoughts as to what it might be? Cv joint I guess is favourite?

The bigger question is, can I still drive it safely like that?

i was hoping to do a 160mile round trip tomorrow to a model air show near Grantham - especially since it’s its 42nd Birthday 🎂 

I would suggest uj on the driveshaft.

It may require oversized circlips, can be fitted in situ.

Have the ujs been recently changed? I have just bought some genuine freelander uj's which it appearances are correct, seem to be head and shoulders over the normal offerings...

(In fact, I shall make a post about them now)

As Clive says, the ticking is usually caused by the half shaft u/j rather than the prop shaft u/j.

It can often be cured by fitting thicker circlips to hold the caps in place.

Prop shaft u/j wear causes severe vibration that can make the car very uncomfortable to drive.

Thanks that is reassuring.

Clive, no the UJ's haven't been changed in the last 3 or 4 years of my ownership - and non of the receipts I have detail them - but that doesn't mean it didn't happen!

Freelander ones sound interesting too - I've already got freelander studs on the wheels so its turning very slowly into a Land Rover 😂

Canley have a range of circlip thickness

What ever do really make sure they  are fully located,  easy to think thats a good job and 200yds down the road one pops  out

There are serious loads on drive shaft UJ compared to a prop and there must be absolutley no float .

Compress the caps with a G clamp and fit a thicker clip.is worth a try

Many sell the  better uj including your club shop

Pete

Hello Mark

I had this not long ago after fitting a new drive shaft I was sure I had got the U/J tight!! but about 200/300miles later(just before our Spanish/Portugal trip!) I got the ticking and at first I thought it was a stone or something stuck in the tyre(we all live in hope?)

If you jack it up and get a big screwdriver in there you will soon find which one needs thicker circlips and as Johny says if you drive to much it will wear the yokes.

I fitted thicker circlips and 2500+ miles later all is still quiet

Roger

• Like 1

Despite the heat I've had the car up on stands and had a look and push and pull on the CV joints and I can't see any significant play in any of them - though I can see a witness mark on a couple of the circlips where they have rotated - so I guess they can't be tight - but I was unable to get a 2thou feeler behind any of them - except the one with the witness mark - though that is not that side that I can hear the ticking from......

I even got the wheels to spin in 2st when in the air and still nothing heard.

Yes I have Johny - but I’ve come out for a little drive to the outlaws and I’ve determined that it’s actually the brakes - pressing the brake peddle and the noise stops. Don’t know why I haven’t worked that out before but it’s a definite. 

So ive got to strip the one side and see what it’s doing.  

• 3 weeks later...

This afternoon I took the wheel and drum off the rear brake and noticed that the cylinder wasn’t being held to the backplate securely. The one clip had come out - as it happens one was lying on the trolley jack so put that in - I don’t think it’s the right one so will get another couple of sets to fit and hold in stock. 

Took it out for a spin - and initially it was quiet - but after about 10miles of reasonably brisk driving it came back - not as bad though. 

Back on the drive I checked and the clip was still in place. 

There are no witness marks either suggesting anything was hitting anything either.  

So sort of half solved. Possibly 😂