New rear springs for spitfires

aha so both are swingers  !!!   doesnt help number 10 though .

there is the drive shaft lengths on the 1500 that affect camber  being 1/2" longer   its got to be down to spring manufacture and geometry 

lowering blocks ..........   wonderfull things

thought......  is the spring base leaf fitted under the swinger box and the plate through above the bottom leaf ??

Pete

43 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

aha so both are swingers  !!!   doesnt help number 10 though .

there is the drive shaft lengths on the 1500 that affect camber  being 1/2" longer   its got to be down to spring manufacture and geometry 

lowering blocks ..........   wonderfull things

thought......  is the spring base leaf fitted under the swinger box and the plate through above the bottom leaf ??

Pete

Hi, they were hd springs from rimmers. And assembled as they had come off.  Thought about lowering blocks, it may come to it. Theres always a good use of a sandbag though.

Have you measured the toe in / parallel ofnthe rear wheels

Two straight timbers and tape measure will give a good idea.  The  spec is loaded so 150 on each  seat to   set  to

Measure the visible length of your drive shafts let us  know hope some  previous has not fitted  short shafts????

Pete

I will get my son to drive forward in them with my other son in the passenger seat, to see if they sit right then. The blue one was heavy sag on drivers side before changing and I know the lengths are correct on the red one. The red one does require properly setting up though as just done on the lengths of wood method. Can anyone recommend a place near downham market who could do this?

Its controlled by adding removing shims from the  chassis bracket for  the tie rod

They should  be slotted so just slacken the bracket bolts available from most suppliers, add to reduce toe in  remove to increase toe

Aim for parallel to a max 2mm toe in at the tyre ,  excess toe will cause the wheels to atempt to converge and increase the camber 

driving it  forwards 

Pete

• 1 month later...