Greasing UJs I give up

Andrew

Hello intelligent people help me out.  In my wisdom I thought I would use my new long grease nipple on my uj s that have never been greased.  OK car was on axel stands wheels off and then I jacked the hub seperatley until the car was being lifted so  I thought that would get the drive shaft horizontal. Still cannot get a grease  nipple anywhere near the blanking plug. Is there anywhere that sells extra long nipples they need to be about three inches long to enable to get the nipple in between the drive shafts and to get a grease gun on the nipple.  Or has any one got any better ideas. 

Regards

Andrew

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

extra long nipples

Mr Lewis has some pictures on the "other" site.

I have a giant grease gun, it's big and cumbersome and you can't get it on some of the nipples with it's fixed nozzle, so a flexible extension does the job.

Doug

Just one small question - are they fitted correctly? I used a set that had the long grease nipple in place, didn't remove it, and when I put the car down off the stands it fouled the flanges. It turns out there's a correct direction of fitment, and a wrong one... with the nipple in place they won't turn, with it removed you can't get it back in again. I actually believe it's still fitted to that car so might be able to check tomorrow, and confirm the orientation.

Hello Andrew,

Another small question following on from Colin's question: is the prop shaft fitted the correct way around ?? I ask this because the prop on my Vitesse had been fitted back-to-front when I purchased the car.

Secondly what car model are we talking about here - always useful to know.

Regards.

Richard.

Hi all Herald 13/60 it is not the U.Js on the prop shaft not even attempting them yet but the UJs on the drive shafts at the differential end. They have blanking plugs fitted which I have removed but how the bloody hell do you get a nipple in and then being able to get your grease gun on. As I said you need a nipple that in 3 inches long. HELP

These are the old nutshell to  grease or not to grease   

Sealed for life ,  what life

Whilst there plenty of experience with crap UJ from over  sea's any decent unit will last as long as as the originals

Or there  abouts   , most were not greasable and have the myth of only lasting well beyond their expected life

Yes they have a hard life  on a drive  shaft but  many have managed to out liven expectation

A good branded uj greased as supplied will not require regular servicing, especially with the limited mileages many manage.

The ones you are replacing have probably lasted 20 to40  years   its a bit late to loose sleep over.

Service whats intended and drive ....more than worry more   keep  things in  perspective

Well its hot  again 

Pete

Extra long grease nipples seem to max out at 1 inch online. You may need to split one and put a length of flexible tubing in between the two halves, or else as I do for the trunnions, a grease nipple onto tubing which goes directly to the oil or grease gun. If it's clear tubing you can watch the fluid flow.

DSCF1474.jpg.c4586765853f5ac7eac2c44d9a0133aa.jpg

Colin with your oil can, can you develop enough pressure to push oil through the grease nipple when oiling them trunnions, I have a similar oil can and I can't get the oil through the std nipple so I removed the ball & spring in the permanently fitted grease nipple and the oil flows easily then I just have some plastic caps (air vacumm  seals)to seal the nipple off afterwards. I chose an oil can which was all steel with a brass/steel pump ie no plastic but still not enough pressure. to push thro an un-modified nipple.

Peter T 

1 hour ago, Peter Truman said:

Colin with your oil can, can you develop enough pressure to push oil through the grease nipple when oiling them trunnions, I have a similar oil can and I can't get the oil through the std nipple so I removed the ball & spring in the permanently fitted grease nipple and the oil flows easily then I just have some plastic caps (air vacumm  seals)to seal the nipple off afterwards. I chose an oil can which was all steel with a brass/steel pump ie no plastic but still not enough pressure. to push thro an un-modified nipple.

Peter T 

I bought the grease nipples off eBay -  needed longer versions in that particular thread - and they arrived as straight-through pipes with a ball fitment for the gun and a thread at the other - no non-return or ball mechanism. The oil just flows straight through. It works with grease too but you must keep the gun very full, and softening it with heat, such as hot water, before use helps.