Nearly passed out!

Tanky

Tanky, don't take offence.    Because in your OP you said - I shorten it - "My car smells strongly of petrol", you used as a title "Nearly passed out!" so it must have been strong, and then you asked if you should worry about it!  Clearly you had done nothing to investigate.

Yet  when on the advice of a friend you lifted the bonnet, you found, "a massive split in the main fuel line to the front carb. Easy even for a blind man to spot as it was spitting out by the bucketful."     Your words.  The merest look found the problem, and  - good for you! - you fixed it.     The combined wisdom of the sages here could not have imagined that something so bleeding obvious could have escaped your attention - yet it did!     While we racked our brains for obscure and difficult-to-find leaks, you had "a  massive split in the main fuel line" that you didn't notice because you didn't look, and instead posted here.   

Tanky, you are new to classic cars.   Every one must learn , as the gurus have, and the first thing to learn is to look.   I am being hard on you, because experience is a hard lesson, and often an expensive one.   We have paid our dues to gain our experence, so please, you do too.       I'll be glad to help you again in future, if I can, but I expect you to do your part.        Look for the cause of the problem, use your mind to work out what and where it might be, try things to deal with it, and THEN if that doesn't work, ask the gurus!

Enjoy your Triumph!

John

Yes Charlie,

JohnD being a bit harsh, but you'll get used to that. :lol: Don't let him put you off asking daft questions, we've all had that OMG!! moment and turned to the forum. I wouldn't have got my car back to life without the indulgent and generous help of most of the members here.

Doug

• Like 3

Thing is, it wasn't obvious until my friend pushed hard on the throttle. When it was ticking over the braiding around the hose was soaking it (petrol) up and as it may have been seeping for a while the fuel just made the hose look it was brand new to my untrained eye. If it hadn't have been that obvious, all of the suggestions from members would have and still are very useful. So while it might have been a panic moment for me as a newbie, I have still learned a lot from the suggestions made. I now know what to look for if it isn't a fuel line pouring petrol out all over the place!

Charlie

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tanky said:

the braiding around the hose was soaking it (petrol) up

Tanky,  If that is indicative of the age of the rest of fuel lines I would suggest getting yourself some 'proper' ethanol resistant hose (TSSC shop) and settle down to changing it all from tank forward.  Preventative maintenance well worth the effort, not too difficult to do and most re-assuring.  

May get to see you at Duxford if the weather holds and I can face the M25!

Dick 

17 minutes ago, Tanky said:

Thing is, it wasn't obvious until my friend pushed hard on the throttle. When it was ticking over the braiding around the hose was soaking it (petrol) up and as it may have been seeping for a while the fuel just made the hose look it was brand new to my untrained eye. If it hadn't have been that obvious, all of the suggestions from members would have and still are very useful. So while it might have been a panic moment for me as a newbie, I have still learned a lot from the suggestions made. I now know what to look for if it isn't a fuel line pouring petrol out all over the place!

Charlie

Sometimes, as happens with me, as soon as you put it into words on the screen you think of a solution. It'll take you a few years to catch up with me for unnecessary questions that I've answered for myself by the time I've posted them, but it all helps other members who may have the same problem and don't know where to start. This forum is also great for coming up with more in-depth solutions ie don't just replace the fuel line, replace it with ethanol-resistant etc. So post away no matter how simple or basic it may seem. You never stop learning.

4 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Tanky,  If that is indicative of the age of the rest of fuel lines I would suggest getting yourself some 'proper' ethanol resistant hose (TSSC shop) and settle down to changing it all from tank forward.  Preventative maintenance well worth the effort, not too difficult to do and most re-assuring.  

May get to see you at Duxford if the weather holds and I can face the M25!

Dick 

Hi Tanky, the rubber fuel spec you need is called Gates Barricade and sold by the Club Shop . Don’t  be tempted by EBay and R9 grade which should be ethanol proof as there is a lot of fake on there 

Paul 

Tanky - keep asking the questions, I do and I learn. I have asked some of the most blatently naff questions over my few years here but I am now in a position to start giving back in a very small way. This is one of the reasons a lot of my enquiries are on my own 'restoration/c*ck-up' thread, so that it is in one place for me to look back on. When I do review things, I am horrified at the crass things I asked, and am still asking but knowledgeable members still help me, that is the nature of this particular forum. Someone will have to carry the knowledge forward, so look, learn and then return it to the next generation.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I am now in a position to start giving back

Don't take any notice of BW! He's only 1st Dan, there is only one number 10. :o  We are not worthy to touch the turn ups on his trousers. I'm told all the "boing" lost Stromberg  sprag washers make there way there looking for safety.

db

• Haha 3

never mind the turn ups 

i would   never recommend braiding on hoses you have no idea whats going on underneath

keep fuel lines clear clean and visible  RUBBER

just realise that fitting metal pipes into new or old fuel hose has a nasty habit of slicing off a small sliver of hose which now floats about

and blocks the back of the float needle valve   starving the float chambers.....crafty little bu**ers

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

Now do we need a prize for the most traveled ,   I would  follow the old A4 or trunk roads  saves the torture of a blast on the M4

Pete

Who will it be?    It's 239 miles one-way for me.

Tanky, I'll look out for you.  Make sure I'm wearing my muzzle before you shake hands.

JOhn

You  could  all converge on the tea tent at 12    I can make  sure im missing   Ha 

Maybe I will hang a sign up  'forum drifters area'

Im the   short fat bloke with long hair.......  or was it the other way  round   ...5'10 with   midriff and balding 

What ever I will   have my AO shirt on   come and make yourselves known ...  there is no Free Tea

Pete