Wheel stud options

Hi,

I'm rebuiding my rotoflex rear suspension and before I put it all together I would appreciate thoughts on upgrading the wheel studs. Freelander studs are in many forums as an upgrade option, not sure if this is worthwhile. Jon Wolfe also offers a kit with nuts which looks like the same thing. Also where would be the best place to buy genuine new studs, as I will replace anyway.

Again your experience and advice appreciated,

Cheers, Richard.

Keep thinking about doing mine, but deciding to put it off until I need to replace the front discs. They're not currently even lipped and the discs on my last high mileage car lasted 90,000 miles, so at 3,000 miles a year I'll get around to it in 30 years... Probably won't be able to get petrol by then anyway and I'll have a washing machine motor (by Tesla!) on every corner of the car 😀

Maybe if I buy the parts I might get closer to making the change, although that's not yet worked for the headlamp relays!

Gully

Thought about changing the wheel studs on my Vitesse, even bought a set from a local Land Rover parts supplier. Fitted a set to a spare front hub but the unthreaded portion was to long and stopped the wheel nut holding the steel wheel correctly, a thicker alloy might be ok. Tried drilling out a bit of the thread in the wheel nut but decided the original design had been ok for over fifty years so fitted standard new ones.

Regards

Paul

Yes all depends on what stud you use and as you say wheel naive thickness, and if you use capped closed nuts 

One  advantage of using the big saloon 7/16unf is they are threaded for use on steel wheels 

The ford ones are cull thread (from memory )

Yes the 3/8unf will and has worked well for  much of the cars life  but have little reserve if aged or easily  mullered by a gorilla

Pete

Richard, is your Triumph a Vitesse or GT6 and are the wheels standard? If it's a GT6 Mk3 and you go for the big Triumph 7/16 UNF, you then have the option of TR6 wheel nuts which are visually very similar to your originals. You will have to enlarge the holes in the naive plates slightly, but will end up with something that looks quite original to the untrained eye.

Cheers, Richard

• Like 1