Tax-exempt TR7 Convertible - it's coming... but when?

Colin Lindsay

Believe it or not the first TR7 convertibles were sold to the UK market in 1980. (I think - open to correction as always!)

Now: as the owner of one of these relatively modern cars, I'm hoping that mine will be tax-exempt Historic Status from 2020. Registration date is June but I'm hoping - and am almost sure - it goes by the build date? Are BMIHT in possession of TR7 records and if so can they date the actual build, like they do with Heralds etc?

Any ideas before I make an application?

My GT was registered in April 73 and in the time before the reintroduction of rolling exemption I had to pay road tax. Grossly unfair for a handful of GT6 mk3s. However, I discovered the Triumph sold from the same garage, on the same day, with contiguous registration was tax exempt! :oI bought a Heritage certificate and  :( build date February 73, no tax exemption. The other car was registered in April 73,but built in 72.

So yes, build date.

Dpug

Colin, for £8 (i think) you can get an email from BNIHT to find the build date. Of course the bankers at DVLA wont accept that, but at least you will know the date before forking out for a heritage cert at around £50. I went this route for my 2500S which was registered 28th Jan 1977.... It was built 13th Dec 1976 so i ended up buying the heritage cert which was a lot cheaper than the RFL :) 

Tony.