Joint triumph meeting the way forward?

saxplayer

Hi all

im posting this on the general topic as I do not want it to be hijacked or go off tangent. Basically it’s my take on the long awaited joint venture of two of the many triumph clubs. 

First of all the organising of the event fell short of the mark, you did a Stirling job with the resources you where given, however area’s that could be improved on

1/ on site catering was woefull, 

2/ the Tssc office was just shy of a party gazebo! Can we not invest a bit more, into the first public contact point, to a more functional mobile office.

3/ the site layout was disjointed and separated  by the race course. No pedestrian access other then the track used by cars on an off the site. No traffic management at this point 

4/ the traders including auto jumble need to be looked after. To the effect the chosen site should have an undercover shed /barn to house them. We got away with it this year as the weather could have been worse

5/ camping facilities were limited

The good points,

1/ two large triumph clubs merging for an event.

2/ entertainment was excellent

3/ the event was held in a good position for all to attend 

4/ the foot fall, or should I say tyre tread was good. It appeared everyone made an effort to go.

So in summary, a marginal success. However,  the tssc and tr registered should have pushed the boat out further and hired a site that would cover my misgivings. You all know the site I have in mind . For those that don’t , Malvern. Just the other side of the m5. Yes I know it is expensive but the cost covered by two clubs should be able to bear it.

If the weather had carried on as it was on Friday, the event would have suffered greatly. 

To the management, you got away with it this year but please please don’t loose this momentum, make sure Gayden has the necessary infrastructure or better still re look at Malvern. 

Those people that gave up there spare time and effort for the weekend thank you. Please dont take my remarks as negative but as constructive criticism and in that spirit if I can help with next year in anyway please call on me.

Shaun Beavon 

I wasn’t able to attend but have attended the previous few years events. I agree with the need to have covered areas. There are a number of smaller agricultural show grounds that should work or even consider farms. We farm In Shropshire just off the m54.   We could provide most facilities. But no concrete !    

Maybe approach the NFU and enquire with them  

Glad you've started it, Shaun!

That the event took place at all should be an enormous compliment to the two clubs!       I know, from the outside, that it has taken years of discussion and negotiation and those involved should take a bow!   But I imagine - I do not know! - that part of that negotioation was to hold the event at a 'neutral' venue, one not used by either club previously.     To do otherwise would appear to downgrade the 'visitor' in an unacceptable way, which places Malvern out of contention at once.

Which brings us to the actual venue.    Stratford was good, and bad in the way you describe, and in a way that every venue would, as nowhere is perfect.      I would advocate a different one, which may appear to go against my first point.

We all enjoyed the visit of a Supermarine Spitfire to Stratford. amd the Dakota, but they were fleeting visits.     And what else was there to see there, if you were sated with Triumphs?       I ve just returned from Duxford, where a small, yes, TSSC but 'only' a TSSC Area show was held.       There, not only were Spitfires flying, but taxiing up and down, taking off and landing, and even performing aerobatics over the airfield.    And not alone - American fighters, the Dragon Rapide, and biplanes that might as well have been WW1 fighters but were, I think, Tiger Moths, were in the air, almost continuously.    A USAAF Flying Fortress on the apron tested its engines, and you could try your own abilites in a flight simulator that sported RAF battle markings .     Also, Duxford is a branch of the Imperial War Museum that contains an enormous collection of air and land warfare items, as well as displays that commemorate Duxford's own military history.  The whole place reeks in nostalgia!    Even the area used for last weekend's show is called "The Gun Butts", where the WW2 fighters tested their guns!

I suggest that the combined Clubs Committee looks closely at Duxford for future combined Weekends.      

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John,

Herts & Beds Duxford meeting was by all accounts a great success (I really wished I had made it this time :() But could Duxford cope with a much larger TSSC/TR6 event? What would happen to the H & B event? From what I read Duxford are making a mint off the back off H & B, would TSSC an TR reg swallow that? The criticism "saxplayer" levels at Stratford and the plaudits given to Duxford are all down to organisation. You could you get Pete Lewis to organise TSSC/TR? How much money do you have?!! :)

Doug

1 hour ago, saxplayer said:

Hi all

im posting this on the general topic as I do not want it to be hijacked or go off tangent.

1/ on site catering was woefull, 

2/ the Tssc office was just shy of a party gazebo! Can we not invest a bit more, into the first public contact point, to a more functional mobile office.

Good thread Shaun and of course it won't be hijacked. On-site catering was dreadful - 45 minutes to get breakfast, and another 45 minutes to grab a coffee at lunchtime. The girls at the coffee-dispensing Landrover dithered about, and chatted, and wandered away, regardless of the enormous queue, and the wasp-coated sugar bowl was a test along the lines of 'I'm a Celebrity...'! It was basic, unhygienic and very unprofessional.

I think I found the TSSC stand - I was looking for Bern, who I never found - but it was not really a draw for potential new members.

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

That the event took place at all should be an enormous compliment to the two clubs!

What else was there to see there, if you were sated with Triumphs? 

I suggest that the combined Clubs Committee looks closely at Duxford for future combined Weekends.      

John

John - I'll second that - these days we need to pool our resources together and more importantly our finances, but it was still quite expensive hence the fact I went for only one day, so anything that keeps the prices down and attracts vendors is a must.

It's interesting that you should want an alternative to Triumphs, at a Triumph show... didn't we hear the same about Donington (you can watch the cars go really fast!) with the result that the venue never took off and died a very quick death? I don't think there are too many events held for any hobby or sport where people attend only to go do something completely different. If we have an event we need to support it fully, not just park a car beside a tent and go off elsewhere, and for many this is the only all-Triumph show they'll attend in the year so needs to be immersive and attractive and keep the interest in-ground.

As for Duxford... well it's too far for me, even before we start, and that's not even in a Triumph. I think this was the reason that the SEM never took off as the main event - too many members from elsewhere in the country couldn't reach it? Pete's show seems to have been a big success, which is great given the effort put into it, but I think that once again, having a Triumph event with the idea that attendees pay lip-service to it whilst disappearing off to something else is why a lot of potential visitors don't see the point in attending.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

As for Duxford... well it's too far for me, even before we start, and that's not even in a Triumph. I think this was the reason that the SEM never took off as the main event

Because you couldn't get there? 

Soon Northern Island will be adrift in the Atlantic, no post, isolated. :(

db

Colin, from where you are, anywhere is too far, unless it was at Stranraer or Holyhead.

There are an extra 90 miles for you if you're going to Duxford, instead of Stratford.   You would have an already length journey, but please don't consider that too much!

John

I went to both and thoroughly enjoyed both.  But I also concur with most of what Shaun has said about Stratford, and the weather on Friday was dire. The beverages and catering was pitiful and on Saturday I was refused coffee in the bar, even though they had an urn there ..something about judges about to come in.  I could have  beer or spirits though - so it was farcical.   Fortunately because I was camping I was able to self cater.  There ought to have been catering nearby the main arena field so that day visitors might get a cuppa when they arrived,  many of which came a considerable distance.   I'm sure in future years the organisers will attract more catering trucks.  But the event would have made a lot more money if they had opened the bring n' buy room as a club-run coffee shop.  Likewise (on Sunday) I was refused coffee in there,  even though they had the facilities laid out for their own use. 

I helped a friend put up his trade-stand gazebo on the Saturday morning because he couldn't manage it on the Friday in the rain and strong gusty winds.  There were indoor stalls there as well ..but to be honest their limited size and dimly lit spaces did no favours for those trying to present their wares.  As a racecourse Stratford is limited in its available indoor space,  but I feel sure you can rule Duxford out as a camp-site. Their security and insurance would shriek, and there were no pets allowed. The organisers had to swerve-ball the on-site regulations, even to provide a cup of tea n'  cake,  likewise the raffle.  Furthermore.,  had last Sunday been sodden then I suspect the Duxford event would have been a wash-out socially and most likely financially too.

Stratford isn't the easiest of places to get to, but it is "midlands".  As as far as other attractions for a weekend's visit, well my camp neighbour's wife took her bicycle into town and along the river so enjoyed her visit. She enjoyed the second hand store and even bought a wicker picnic basket which she then sold in the bring n' buy for £10 profit.!   Quite a few visitors went into restaurants or pubs in town, another couple I spoke to stayed in a guest house. Stratford,  Warwick,  Leamington Spa, the motorcycle museum and exhibition centre, and even Coventry is a nice place for a couple or family to stay over few more days, but that sort of extension was not possible on the racecourse itself. 

In all fairness, Duxford air & tank museum is of little interest to many wives / partners, certainly not after the first two hours.  And immediately outside Duxford is nice countryside but not a lot else.

"So in summary, a marginal success."  On the contrary I would say both were a great success - each in its own way.  re. Stratford - yes, there is room for improvement but for a first joint club event ..particularly of that scale - I feel it was excellent and went really well.  I'm sure next year the catering will be much better and the other points are relatively minor.  Btw., each time I went to cross the race track - there were friendly security chaps doing tending to the traffic, which admittedly at times did have a lengthy que, but there were a huge number of cars from both clubs.

re. Duxford - I can't see what else they might have done to make it better.  Had the weather been awful - then moving into one of the hangers would have been good,  but as the weather was superb this year - that wasn't necessary 

Bfg.

Look at the map, BFG!    Duxford is next door to Cambridge, dreaming spires, punting on the backs, enough quadrangles, porticos, museums and events to keep anyone keen on sights happy all day!   Easily a competitor for Stratford town!

And those in the long queues for burgers'n'chips ignored the little van next door selling vegetarian dishes.   Don't scoff!   I'm no veggie, but this was good scoff! 

You complain about limited indoor space at Stratford, and you are quite correct, but what about some enthusiasm for Duxford's hangers - you could hold a whole International in a corner of one of those!

Don't dismiss it.   Again, I urge the Inter-Club Committee to consider it!

John

A bit of waffle about using IWM  they re sort of helpful but the rules are less flexible, there are much larger sites than than the part we used

For a good few years we used the site by the american hangar , it wont take 2000 cars , you would have to marshal a variety of areas

Dont get me involved with a national event , doing local is wearing , catering for sale of grub is franchised and if you want burger vans 

They want a chunk up front £0000   out of our league   we do refreshments supposedly for just our helpers and members  its stretched 

To make it work  as is the prize giving  not a raffle 'raffle'   IWM will not allow you to make any profit from their operation.

No dogs no bbq  no stoves ,  you have to  picnic without them

And its £15  club entry price doesnt give much latitude  to load some profit for all the work you have to do or youre up to std admission 

And then there is no discount enticement.

There are so many events around these days it  dilutes others, go back a few  years we had  400 cars    the last  few have been 100-160

Times are changing , , getting traders is falling , down to  the tinternet and fleabay ,  sit at home let the IT do the selling no staff on site no   van no transport and overnights ...no PLI 

Is anywhere ....perfect

Pete

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JohnD said:

BFG!    Duxford is next door to Cambridge, dreaming spires, punting on the backs, enough quadrangles, porticos, museums and events to keep anyone keen on sights happy all day!   Easily a competitor for Stratford town!

I'll not argue with that John,  but might add that 10 miles is a good trek for ones good lady if the Triumph is all polished up and being shown.  And I doubt if the bus service between Duxford and Cambridge is nearly as frequent as in and around Stratford. 

Perhaps I've been put off though, as the last time I went into Cambridge I was shocked by their car parking prices (..costing me £22 for half a day) and we were actually not that impressed with the town itself ..expensive,  the interesting part is surprisingly small and rather dirty,  and we had terrible service in a town centre pub-restaurant we waited in.!  Conversely, their river-side park and universities (where access is allowed) are lovely, and the university's open air theatre (ironically Shakespeare) was great fun. 

I'll leave it up to others better qualified to say whether shopping is better in Stratford, Warwick, Leamington &/or Coventry versus Cambridge,  or whether Warwick castle and Stratford's boating is more fun for the kids. Personally speaking I would happily spend a week's holiday in Warwickshire, but I'd had enough of Cambridge after a single day.

However, although alternative attractions are an important consideration in the choice of such a event - perhaps we're going a little off-topic from Stuart's original post which particularly focused on the shortcomings of the organised event itself, ie., within the grounds, the services and facilities.  And aside from the coffee/catering (..and of course Friday's weather) I didn't hear any other voiced complaints during the weekend.  Stratford certainly did attract a really excellent turnout of day visitors in their Triumphs - so, very well done.  Never was so much owed by so many to so few ..who made it happen.   Oh., it sounds like I'm back in Duxford.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

A lot of constructive criticism, but I'm wondering if the forum is the right place for it. I know our leader Chris Gumby is an occasional poster, but I don't think the Area Liaison Officers, Nigel and Di are. Nigel and Di got an award from the CoM at the last AGM for getting Stratford together. Perhaps Facebook or a direct Email would get the points home?

Doug

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bfg said:

And I doubt if the bus service between Duxford and Cambridge is nearly as frequent as in and around Stratford. 

A moot point, but: One every hour and takes just under the hour between the 2x locations.

------------

I organise a lot of classic vehicle events, not on a National or International scale I hasten to add.

However, one key factor that has become very important over the years, is the requirement to hold such events adjacent to a bolt-on attraction. This is not always an easy or straight forward task for various administrative or logistical reasons. Additionally one needs to consider the financial implications of such, on an ever tightening of the purse. That said, what is paramount is the ability of a venue to deliver on the points raised above.

I did not attend the event, but to those who planned and executed its commission for the benefit of others, they must take a well earned bow and round of applause. Such events on such a scale is no mean feat I can assure you. 

Clubs do need to partner up, it is the only way forward these days if the correct location is to be hired and the cost shared. You would think that there are sheds full of possible locations; but when you check the tick list, a high number of potential locations fall at the first hurdle.  

Geographically, the Midlands area has to be the best bet for obvious reasons; if one is to try and capture the highest tread fall. 

Regards.

Richard.

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

A lot of constructive criticism, but I'm wondering if the forum is the right place for it. I know our leader Chris Gumby is an occasional poster, but I don't think the Area Liaison Officers, Nigel and Di are. Nigel and Di got an award from the CoM at the last AGM for getting Stratford together. Perhaps Facebook or a direct Email would get the points home?

Doug

Doug,

That used to be Official TSSC Policy - the message board was only for chitchat between a few pointyheads, whose opinions didn't matter.     I recall attending an AGM at the time that the Club website had collapsed, and nothing was being done to restore it (see above, Official TSSC Policy), to ask what was planned.      I was shocked at the vitriolic response of some members from the floor, who clearly considered computers to be the work of Satan, and concerned that the CoM said nothing to counter that view, or to reassure me that they weren't of the same opinion.    But things are different now, aren't they?   Aren't they?

If members of the CoM do not at least review opinion on the board about Club matters, they are ignoring the best and most current poll of what their members think.    

Just to throw some more fuel on the fire, our model should be the MG International.     So big, they can hire SILVERSTONE, because all the MG clubs join togther.    I went a few years ago (Bro-in-law has a 'B') and there was even space for the then new Chinese 'MGs'!      THAT'S how to run an International!

John

• Like 1

John,

I'm well aware of what happened to the old forum having been part of the campaign to get it reborn. I remember Bill Bates telling me he would get me thrown out the club if I didn't desist. Along with a number of others I let my membership lapse, Bill Bates resigned and the lapsers started to get "please come back letters". But that was in the past and the CoM now realise the benefits of the forum. However they don't all follow it and that's up to them. I merely pointed out that the people who need to know aren't watching.

Doug

• Like 1

Pete,   This is a 'club managed' (with TRR) activity.   Shall I copy it to Chris as he's not watching? (according to Doug).     So the TSSC Offcial Policy is STILL that it is for a few pointyheads?

saxplayer,   Sorry, past disasters irrelevant.    Will you copy this thread to Chris, if your thread discussion is as pointless as the above indicates?

John

27 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Chris as he's not watching? (according to Doug).

I think I said Chris was an occasional poster? The people who aren't watching are Nigel and Di, the organisers.

I also said " the CoM now realise the benefits of the forum"  Your "pointyheads comment" is totally unwarranted.

Doug 

• Like 1

On 05/09/2019 at 14:39, dougbgt6 said:

John,

I'm well aware of what happened to the old forum having been part of the campaign to get it reborn. I remember Bill Bates telling me he would get me thrown out the club if I didn't desist. Along with a number of others I let my membership lapse, Bill Bates resigned and the lapsers started to get "please come back letters". But that was in the past and the CoM now realise the benefits of the forum. However they don't all follow it and that's up to them. I merely pointed out that the people who need to know aren't watching.

Doug

I am a member of Shropshire Tssc and had some heated debates with  some members ..  and continue to do so on occasions .I am an admin on this site , mostly due to my amazement that the internet wasn’t appreciated as a resource. I am also active as an admin on the unofficial Tssc page that was set up when there was no forum.  I put a lot of energy into the FB page , but not so much here. For which I apologise.  

I have been a member 33 years and have seen the club get older and shrink. 

Lets support what we have and continue to  talk to the other triumph clubs. 

• Like 3

Chairman .. chairman ??  .. Learned friends  -  might I suggest this discussion, regarding the website as a resource and how it might become more active - is very worthwhile but a separate and quite probably a huge topic in its own right. 

This thread, and Shaun's original post,  is with regard to the " joint Triumph meeting and the way forward ".    If someone wishes to start a new topic along the line of ; the role of this forum & website - how to make it more successful ..and integral to club activities,  then go ahead.  I and I'm sure a lot of others will contribute and join in.  But unless everyone here thinks we've exhausted every possibility regarding improvements to the  Joint Triumph meeting and possibly other regional events too - then please let's get back to it.   I'm sure that even if just one organising member drops in, even if only occasionally - then the feelings ..and suggestions, of members will filter back to the committee.   

Perhaps someone in Admin might copy each 'website' and  'forum' associated comment from this page across to a new topic ..that it might kick start the topic and provide continuity to that conversation. ? 

Thank you.

35 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Chairman .. chairman ??  .. Learned friends  -  might I suggest this discussion, regarding the website as a resource and how it might become more active - is very worthwhile but a separate and quite probably a huge topic in its own right. 

This thread, and Shaun's original post,  is with regard to the " joint Triumph meeting and the way forward ".    If someone wishes to start a new topic along the line of ; the role of this forum & website - how to make it more successful ..and integral to club activities,  then go ahead.  I and I'm sure a lot of others will contribute and join in.  But unless everyone here thinks we've exhausted every possibility regarding improvements to the  Joint Triumph meeting and possibly other regional events too - then please let's get back to it.   I'm sure that even if just one organising member drops in, even if only occasionally - then the feelings ..and suggestions, of members will filter back to the committee.   

Perhaps someone in Admin might copy each 'website' and  'forum' associated comment from this page across to a new topic ..that it might kick start the topic and provide continuity to that conversation. ? 

Thank you.

By all means pull the thread back to what you think we should be discussing however, we are free on this forum to post as we see fit, even if some of it is nonsense and some it off at a tangent. Your post above will not win friends or influence anyone.

Your assumption that we have Admin and there's somebody in it shows a further misunderstanding of this forum and what it's about.

Doug

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

.. we are free on this forum to post as we see fit, even if some of it is nonsense and some it off at a tangent. Your post above will not win friends or influence anyone.

you can't see the irony in this sentence ?  :D

2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

Your assumption that we have Admin and there's somebody in it shows a further misunderstanding of this forum and what it's about.

oh sorry, did I misinterpret this  . .

6 hours ago, mishmosh said:

I am an admin on this site ,

Doug, My intent was not to upset you or anyone, and I apologise if it came across in any way as a negative slant. My point was simply..

3 hours ago, Bfg said:

..  the website as a resource and how it might become more active - is very worthwhile but a separate and quite probably a huge topic in its own right. 

..  If someone wishes to start a new topic along the line of ; the role of this forum & website - how to make it more successful ..and integral to club activities,  then go ahead.  I and I'm sure a lot of others will contribute and join in

suggestion :  copy each 'website' and  'forum' associated comment from this page across to a new topic ..that it might kick start the topic and provide continuity to that conversation. ? 

Is this not a positive suggestion rather than a negative critique.?   I feel both this and the original topic of Shaun's are worthwhile to discuss further as a separate issues.

However, if my reply came across as offensive, then as a new member I would feel obliged to leave you to it and not say anything at all.