Voltmeter wiring

coops7

Hi All

I am going to be fitting a smiths voltmeter to my GT6 mkll along with a clock, in place of the radio. My question is, which wire should I take the live for the voltmeter from, to ensure it does its job properly?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Sorry to bother you guys again but just been under dash and there is no white wire coming off ignition barrel.

There is a brown which is perm live( I take it thet its supply from solenoid)

There is a red/white which does not seem to do anything (not live with key in any position or engine started)

There is one connector with two wires, 1) purple 2)purple/yellow......   these go live when ignition switch turned on.

So just to be sure, is it the connector with the two purple wires I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance Jeff

Hello Jeff.

If your ignition switch is correct for the car, you should have 4x take off points.

point 1 will have a single brown wire to the starter solenoid - do not use that.

point 2 should have the most wires coming from it including brown to the fuse box and also (as Pete says) some white wires going to the ignition warning light and to the coil - this is the point you need to use.

point 3 should have a single white & red wire going to the starter solenoid..................that should be doing something !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

point 4 is the aux contact point for the radio.

Hope that helps and position 2 is the one to go for.

Finally, I'm interested about the white/red wire because that most certainly has a job to do and should be live when the ignition is switched on !!

Regards.

Richard.

Hi Richard

This is really strange, my ignition switch has about 6 take offs

3 are being used by auxiliaries, what was the radio/switch for screen washer/ 12v aux socket

the others are as described above, no white wires coming off barrel but the white wires are where they should be elsewhere on the car and everything is working

when i use a circuit tester on the red/white wire it does not light up??? but is attached to the solenoid, is it only live for the second the key is turned to start the car?

As I say everything seems to work so I don't want to mess too much with it but it is obviously not the correct switch for the car.

jeff

Update

The white/red wire does work for the second the key is turned, that's what threw me.

Looking at the wiring under the dash, there are a lot of bullet connectors, I think that those purple wires must connect up somewhere with the correctly coloured wires, it's all a bit Heath Robinson down there but all works and looks safe. All the other wires as I said seem to be the correct colours, it just seems to be the wrong ignition barrel???

Going from what you said Richard then I think it's the purple wires (masquerading as white), that I need?

Also this spell check does not like the English version of the word coloured.

The guy I bought the car off 3 years ago was well into his Triumphs, he also owned a Stag and mkl 2000, so I wonder if its off another model?

Thanks Jeff

Evening Jeff.

I agree with those views, although I'm happy to be shot down by those with greater knowledge !!

The ignition barrel sounds a modern or a more modern replacement from the original unit. I think the PO probably wanted to run additional aux wires from the barrel; hence the additional points.

You have nothing to lose going with the purple wires as I think your theory is spot-on.

Well done and good investigation skills !!

Regards.

Richard.

sounds a plan from what youve unravelled.

of no help but orig colours the mauve would be interior light/horn  and mauve white the  int lamp courtesy earth,

you may find a white to pink or white pink  piggy backed in  under there for a  coil ballast wire but depends on model year.

Pete

• 5 years later...

Except the voltage stabiliser is supposed to be on the back off the speedo and if you ever want to get at the connection again you'll need a triple jointed wrist!  :lol: Green wire would work, but white wire might be easier, off the ignition, or the top of the heated rear window switch.  I put in an electronic stabiliser which "dangles" behind the dash and gets over access problems. 

Doug

Thanks Doug. I had considered the heated rear widow switch but no spare terminal there although I could make something up. I agree about the difficulty of access to the stabiliser although once connected I would hope I would not need to go there again.....! I will have a further think.