Buying a Car

watsona6

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

yes took me a while to fathom that

Bedford??? is this a car i may know about        watson ..    drop me a mail i can check that idea  out 

drive it to Luton and lets pick the bones out of it and put its hat on straight.

you  may even get a bacon buttie  

have  dropped you a forum e mail 

Pete

Sorry from me as well Pete..... Never mind i might be able to do the same for someone in my area :) With a bacon buttie thrown in of course.

Tony.

Well I bought it. Wasn’t so sure I trusted the man 🙈 Face timed the mechanic and spent some time looking at it ‘remotely’ with him. Test drove it. The noise at the rear is more like Lego bricks in a washing machine! Bearings?! Chassis seems rust free (led on my back and lifting lots of carpet). It had a respray at some point. Job seems ‘ok’ some overspray on the seats and the wheels 🤷‍♂️ But not much. I figured I had a good price factoring in possible recover of the seats, diff issue small hood repair etc. Few other bits to sort such as locks not working on doors, oil light not working, cig lighter not working at a radio to install. Drove it back 200 miles with a 30 min break at it was surprisingly manageable. Drove 50/60/70 all the way without an issue. Hopefully it passes the mechanics post mortem next week! 

Good for you Watson. Sometimes you've just got to go for what you fancy, and if it ends up costing a few quid more than you thought in fixes (and it will) then so what, it's only money. I hope you enjoy it. 

Congrats on the 200mls. I drove mine back 220mls and managed 215 of them before the rear wheel bearings collapsed.  So make sure she gets a good coat of looking at before trying 200 again. But job done by the sounds of it, well done.  

Well now youre into the land of what next ,  do get to know the car before you jump into must haves and plan any repairs to progress , not all at once, 

Diffs dont make noise like a  leggo in a washing mc   , whine etc yes knock rarely , drive shaft uj is more possible 

No oil light has a worrying conclusion lets hope it just the switch or bulb  or maybe disconnected for a reason?

Well done  ,  another car on the road   hope it makes the smile 

Pete

Thanks to all. There is an oli light that lights up at start (when it’s cold) but goes out quickly. Assume that’s right. Someone with better hearing than me thinks the noise is coming from under the seats.....maybe where the gear box meets the engine?

Would a UJ noise come from under the seat area? I was guessing gear box where it meets engine but I know diddly squat. I’ll let you know what the mechanic diagnoses. What do you guys do with the hood? There isn’t a ‘cover’ on this one so I just tuck it in behind the seats. Also find the passenger side clasp nearest the door hard to set - any suggestions? I’m learning as I go. Never did I guess how much value bacon may hold!

4 hours ago, watsona6 said:

Would a UJ noise come from under the seat area? I was guessing gear box where it meets engine but I know diddly squat. I’ll let you know what the mechanic diagnoses. What do you guys do with the hood? There isn’t a ‘cover’ on this one so I just tuck it in behind the seats. Also find the passenger side clasp nearest the door hard to set - any suggestions? I’m learning as I go. Never did I guess how much value bacon may hold!

Sound travels a lot Andy, i am sure your mechanic will agree.... So i would'nt worry to much untill he has had a look, i'm sure if it was serious it would have fell off on the way back..

Tony.

Yes the hood sits inside the drop glass , or you cant open the door

Some hoods have better stitched on gutters , some are hopeless,  its a 1970s convertible  they expect to leak rain 

You  Could Class the hood as a...... shower cover !!!  They  are not that refined 

If the racket happens on over run then a foul of exhaust as the torque changes the engines angles is very likely 

Pete

14 hours ago, watsona6 said:

Thanks to all. There is an oli light that lights up at start (when it’s cold) but goes out quickly. Assume that’s right. Someone with better hearing than me thinks the noise is coming from under the seats.....maybe where the gear box meets the engine?

The oil light is just like on a modern car. It comes on when you turn the ignition (just to show the bulb is working) but should go out asap once it's running. If it comes on with the engine running pull over as soon as is safe and switch off. I think if you had serious oil pressure issues you'd have found out about it on that 200ml drive. 

The noise might just be the exhaust rattling against the chassis. It's pretty narrow down there and it's not uncommon. Probably a nice cheap missing exhaust bracket. 

What I'd suggest if you're just starting your apprenticeship is to find a garage to give it a good look over. Maybe drive round half a dozen (in your regular car), pop in for a chat about doing an inspection and see who looks genuinely interested. There's enough good mechanics out there who have an interest in cars of all ages who'd be glad to do something apart from change brake pads on yet another modern car. Don't commit to anything big before you've run it past some of the experienced guys on here obviously. 

I've got a feeling someone will be mentioning a toolbox in his letter to Santa this year? 😉