Quality of new bumpers for GT6, new chrome or re-chrome

coops7

Hi All

Have been a member of TSSC for a couple of years now but am new to the forums. I own a 1969 mkll GT6, signal red in colour and am in the process of some, mostly cosmetic, improvements.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the quality of replacement bumpers for sale out there? For now I have removed the front bumper and am running with just overriders for now but I would like to do something about the rear bumpers. The bumpers for sale seem quite pricey and I have heard the metal may be a bit thin and prone to rusting quite rapidly, has anybody any experience of this?

I think mine should be fine to re-chrome as they are not bent, though one of them has a small split in the chrome over the bracket(not sure if the split goes through though) but have also heard that re-chroming can be more expensive than replacing, any experience?

Another problem with this option is I live on the Wirral and do not know of anywhere that does this, if I am going to re-chrome I would like to use somewhere that was recommended if possible.

All advice appreciated thanks.

Hi

Thanks for the replies and the link, I had heard that the re-chroming was an expensive exercise.

The price on the link for the full kit is very close to the price of all the parts if bought seperately from paddocks/rimmers etc, so I think I may well hammer the credit card and take your advice.

Thanks again

I've just fitted stainless steel too and I agree with PJM Stag; they look very good.

They cost about half the estimated price of re-chroming, they arrived quickly and they are a very good fit.

How do they compare with good chrome as regards shine? I’ve never seen any of these and it’s hard to tell from a photo on the seller’s webpage; is there a good depth of shine or just reflective steel?

Colin,

It's hard to describe the shine adequately! They do look slightly different to chrome but I think they are very acceptable.

The shine issue was my biggest concern too. I eventually decided to take a risk on them and so far I'm happy with the outcome.

The fact that they shouldn't rust is also good.

I had JY Classics fit the rear bumper for me because I didn't want to mess about with the fuel tank in my very limited facilities. They commented on the very good quality and fit of the bumper.

When I get an opportunity I'll try to take some decent photos and post them here.

Well I have gone for it and ordered the full set from Harringtons, should take about 3 weeks.

Have read a lot of reviews on other forums from all over the world and all seem to be pleased with them.

They can't look any worse than what I already have and at least they will never rust.

Doesn't look as if they do any Herald items. As far as I know they only supply complete bumper kits, front, rear or both.

I do know they ask for original items as patterns to work from but this can be a drawn out process with the items going backwards and forwards until they get it right.

May be worth a try getting in touch

If they produce the overriders as part of a complete set, then I would think if you contact them they might well will supply a pair on their own on request. After all, if your happy with the overriders your likely to go back for the rest eventually.

• 2 weeks later...