Mike Crewes

KevinR

It is with great sadness that I have to let you all know that following a short illness, Mike Crewes passed away a few days ago.

Mike was a long standing member of the TSSC, having been a member since the early 80's.

Mike, who at the time, was a Thames Valley Police Traffic Officer, used to write a regular and very informative column for the Courier titled "Cop Shop", which helped keep many of us on the straight and narrow with regards to our driving - and if we did get stopped, have an appropriate excuse that might just get us off with a warning rather than penalty points.

In addition to writing for the Courier, Mike also served many many years as a member of the CoM, including serving as the Club General Secretary for four years from 2006 to 2010.

Since leaving the CoM, Mike continued to support the Club in any way he could, including working diligently as a Forum Moderator. He will be sadly missed.

Carol Covenrty, the TSSC Cornwall Area Organiser writes :

Mike's funeral will be on Thursday 19th September (19/9/19) at 12 noon in the Trelawney Chapel, Truro Crematorium.

It is a wish from Mike that he would like us all to follow him on his last journey. 

I told Mike we would be more than honoured to make his wish come true.

So please all Classic Cars and bikes to meet for the procession at the Hawkins Arms, Zelah at 11.00am. 

Let me know if you can attend for the parking arrangements.

Dress : colourful and casual (no black, no ties)

No flowers please but donations care of Tregunna Funeral Directors, Truro (01872 273568) in aid of Cornwall Hospice Care and Waves Counselling Project.

Celebration of Mike to follow on at The Driftwood Spars, St Agnes.

Let’s make this a Triumphant event for a very dear friend.

Thank you everyone

Carol Coventry

TSSC Cornwall AO

• Like 1

• KevinR pinned this topic

Very sad day, I knew Mike for many years and he was one of natures gentlemen. Always polite, helpful and with a good sense of humour. Like most Traffic policeman of his era he was a keen motoring enthusiast. Over many years he did a lot to support the club. e. g. Area Coordinator/Liaison, SEM, International Show Manager/Organiser, Cop Shop, M25 Meet, Forum Moderator, COM and Club Secretary.

Though Mike originally came from Cornwall he served for many years with the Met police. His last post was as a traffic accident investigation officer.

R.I.P. Mike.

Dave

To quote Andy Cook - the TSSC GT6 Registrar.

I'm going along to the funeral to pay my respects in the GT6. I knew Mike since the mid 80s, apart from the impact he had on the Triumph movement he was a great bloke too. He was a great events organiser, he used to run the SEM meet at Leatherhead and the TSSC international at Stafford for a time and was instrumental in arranging the STER events in Holland in the late 90s. In latter years he was involved in hill trials in a specially set up TR7 which he owned alongside his Stag. My ex missus and I both knew Mike separately from before we met so was considered a close mutual friend and he was a guest at our wedding 19 years ago. He was down to do the RBRR a few years back but had to pull out but I did remember him marshaling down at Lands End so he was involved with CT as well as the TSSC. RIP Mike, a good mate who made a great contribution to all things Triumph over the last 35 years or more, he will be missed. :-(

• Like 2

Very sad to hear this news, I do not know whether I met him but I enjoyed his articles and comments on the old forum. Feels very disconcerting that people I was aware of in my younger days are disappearing.

Sorry can't make the funeral but hope things go well.

Very sad news.

Graham

Mike's funeral was organised by him to the smallest detail, including wonderful Triumph driving weather.  The Club was represented by Jane Rowley, and there were AOs there from many Areas, as well as Register secretaries.  He was followed to the Crematorium by a convoy of I think 23 Triumphs as he wanted.  Afterwards the wake was at St Agnes in his favourite pub, where in true Cornish style we consumed Cornish ale, Cornish pasties and a cream tea the Cornish way.  

Mike will be missed by so many in the Triumph world, and our condolences to Sarah his wife and his many family and friends.  He left us far too soon, but will be remembered as a real stalwart of the Triumph community.  We will mis him.  RIP Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plenty of us from the TSSC went along to say goodbye to Mike yesterday and the procession of Triumphs, a classic bus that Mike used to drive, Mikes Stag , Mike's TR7 Hill Trial Special  and several motorbikes behind the Funeral Cortege was exactly what Mike wanted and a great Tribute. The picture below taken from my car which was about midway through the convoy gives a sense of the scale.  A sad day but it was a great celebration of Mike's life. Mike's contribution to the TSSC and Triumph scene in  general over so many years was immense and unforgettable. I'm really glad I made the effort to be there in the GT6. 

convoy 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• KevinR unpinned this topic
  • 2 months later...