Jump to content

Locks and Insurance


watsona6
 Share

Recommended Posts

Morning. I’ve an issue with my door locks - they don’t lock.... Having read the forum, seems it’s quite common, and, common to leave them rather than fixing them. I don’t have an issue with this per say, however, how does this impact on the insurance? Thinking I’ll call them later and ask, but wondered what others have found out/think about this? Thanks in advance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Door CATCHES or door LOCKS? The door has to close securely and stay closed when pressure is applied, but as for the actual locking ie with the key (to keep others out), that wouldn't be anything for the MOT?

As for Insurance... does a car kept in a home garage for example have to be locked too? On the street yes, but the driveway? No doubt they'll find some way of wriggling out of the payout, if it ever gets stolen...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spits and GT6 s dont have a button its lever release and unless you cut a big hole in the carcass you  cant get hands in and see what you  are doing,   there is the lock assy , awfull thing, the internal failing slide cam , rod clips that drop off and multiple connecting plastic blocks and clips with springs all inaccessible  unless you have some  sadistic views of life or can decorate the hall through the letterbox

Herald or vitesse is so much simpler. 

Pete

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

  unless you have some  sadistic views of life or can decorate the hall through the letterbox

Herald or vitesse is so much simpler. 

Pete

Tentacles, Pete - tentacles. This one is known as a prosthentacle and if you know anyone with one, they'll fix your doors in a jiffy. On the other hand if you know anyone who builds ships in bottles, they'll do it too.

prosthetic-tentacle-arm.jpg.9599519d3b899b7b81ab365c171c22d9.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I, like many others, don't lock my doors. What's the point with a soft top? One slash with the knives that we are told everyone is carrying and they're in. Crook lock style device, petrol cut off valve, battery isolator, bonnet locks. Then a pre flight check list to make sure everything is 'on' before you try to start off... oh and don't forget the burglar alarm that won't turn off when you've set it 'cause the transmitter batteries have gone flat. Yes I'm having a bad day... does it show?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

I, like many others, don't lock my doors. What's the point with a soft top? One slash with the knives that we are told everyone is carrying and they're in. Crook lock style device, petrol cut off valve, battery isolator, bonnet locks. Then a pre flight check list to mak sure everything is 'on' before you try to srart off... oh and don't forget the burglar alarm that won't turn off when you've set it 'cause the transmitter batteries have gone flat. Yes I'm having a bad day... does it show?

How does that impact on insurance - that’s my question?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Pete is referring to the fact that my latch (passenger side) is faulty. In the interest of bike riders (and my young passengers) I’m going to replace the mechanism later today so that the latch works and old ladies on bikes are safe. The question is though - the actual locking mechanism on both doors doesn’t work. The key doesn’t turn. I can’t even flick the catch on the inside and lock them once in the car. I’m ok with the locks actually not working - but wondered how this leaves me from an insurance perspective?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My previous insurance specified that my Spitfire had to be locked and the roof put on when parked up - even on a petrol station forecourt!

Needless to say I am no longer with them but I've not actually seen anything on the Peter James Policy to say one thing or another - but I tend to put the roof on if I am going to leave the car for a while - more in case it rains! - and I lock it and fit the steering lock. 

But as said, it will get knicked if anyone wants it!

It is left without the roof on and unlocked when its in the garage  - but that is locked with a 5lever lock on the internal door and a 5 lever (I think) lock on the steel door itself.

And nearly always has another car parked on the otherside of the door on the drive!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

one start is to remove the handle and take the barrel out its marked with the key numbers , bet yours does not match the keys you have been given.

boot and ( glove box ?)  are same key but normal for door keys to be altogether different.

when you attempt to replace the latch/lock you will see what i mean about access . many get a saw and make hole BIGGER

there are  a number of rods and eyelet clips that fail , both on the release rods and the lock rods , then theres the plastic  block which connects paired rods together hidden behind the  centre panel,  all exciting stuff !!!!!!!!!!! with the small plate and return springs all hidden 

if any have dropped off or are in the wrong position it messes it all up nicely

solution   ............ remove the doors   or ratchet strap across the car  

Pete

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all! I’ve had a bit of an epic fail today. Latch swap went reasonably well but it hasn’t fixed my issue! Door still doesn’t remain shut with a medium strength shoulder nudge! I think the gap between the door/latch and the plate is too wide. Certainly wider than my correctly operating drivers side. Tried to adjust the hinges on the door but can’t bring it closer so the latch and plate get tighter. I managed to break a couple of bolts too so going to have to order a few bolts. Cannot for the life of me move the 3 screws on the plate! No doubt will end up drilling them out so I’ll order some of them too! This morning I was thinking of having a go at the UJ’s! Can’t even fix the door latch - maybe I’m running before I can walk!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

UJs MIGHT be easier than door locks, so don't write yourself off yet.

Do you have an impact screwdriver? It may shift the screws, and might end up costing you no more than replacement screws would - they're cheap enough to buy, mine was less than a tenner and a handy tool for a car where many parts have never been disturbed.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, watsona6 said:

Thanks all! I’ve had a bit of an epic fail today. Latch swap went reasonably well but it hasn’t fixed my issue! Door still doesn’t remain shut with a medium strength shoulder nudge! I think the gap between the door/latch and the plate is too wide. Certainly wider than my correctly operating drivers side. Tried to adjust the hinges on the door but can’t bring it closer so the latch and plate get tighter. I managed to break a couple of bolts too so going to have to order a few bolts. Cannot for the life of me move the 3 screws on the plate! No doubt will end up drilling them out so I’ll order some of them too! This morning I was thinking of having a go at the UJ’s! Can’t even fix the door latch - maybe I’m running before I can walk!!!

Sounds like you need one of these Andy.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-13pcs-Steel-Impact-Screwdriver-Hand-Tool-Percussive-Drilling-Bits-Set/123606720139?epid=20011090037&hash=item1cc788de8b:g:63wAAOSwhQhY7Jpa

Tony.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...