Locks and Insurance

watsona6

14 hours ago, poppyman said:

Great minds think alike Colin...... :) 

Tony.

Indeed, Tony, and that's the type of thing I was looking for but couldn't find a link to one for under £25! 

Sometimes just the action of striking the screws, without even the turning function, is sufficient to break the grip of years, but as Pete says it's a very useful thing to have in the toolbox.

And any screwdriver the olde wooden handle cabinet drivers do allow much more torque from the hands  than the modern skinny plastic handled  silly things they sell today  there is also the screw slot and driver blade should match as do 

The mix and match with philips being very different to posidrive  each needs their own  if  you dont want to cam out the ×

Pete

On 14/09/2019 at 14:07, watsona6 said:

How does that impact on insurance - that’s my question?

I don't know what the situation is regarding the insurance. My key locks and flip interior locks have never worked. Trying to use the keys in the exterior of the doors nearly permanently locked the doors, taking some considerablevtime to free them. My views for what they are worth are...

As mentioned before, putting up the hood keeps out the rain (well most of it), the leaves, cats etc but not thieves

Getting through the roof means that, in a MkIV Spitfire, you can unlock the doors from the inside

I use an old 'crook lock' on the brake handle/gear stick upside down so very difficult to pick the lock, but anyone with a battery angle grinder will cut it off in seconds

Bonnet locks, burglar alarm, battery isolator and petrol tap are probably the way forward for security, but really, there is a limit to what you can/are prepared to do. Insurance companies will always try to wriggle out of paying, but proof of other defenses other than door locks on a car with no real roof should stand you in good stead if a case goes to the Ombudsman

I will strip down the lock mechanisms when I repaint the doors to try to get them to work, over the winter. Whether they will work.. who knows

the only way to be advised on insurance is to ask them , that could open the flood gates or be of no consequence

there are no  keyable  dead locks on a triumph so on a soft top pretty useless as when key locked can still be opened from  the inside release. the key only blocks the outside release form operating,

having the door securely latched is more serious to occupants and passers by ... ask about that ....then you get all the answers 

we all mull over own thoughts and experiences 

Pete

30 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the only way to be advised on insurance is to ask them , that could open the flood gates or be of no consequence

It's a very moral situation, and you're right Pete in that if you raise the issue they're now aware of it.

I had to take out Insurance in 2015 concerning a right-of-way past my last house that had been in use for 40+ years, just in case the person who owned the other half of the shared laneway objected to its' use by others. The problem was that if I raised the issue with the owner - and I knew that he wouldn't have any objections at all - then he would be aware of it and Insurance would not cover me for the cost of any subsequent legal wrangles concerning access. I could have sorted it in two minutes neighbour to neighbour but the solicitor would not let me. So: I took out £300 of Insurance cover to protect me from a dispute over access which is never going to happen, in order to sell the house, as no-one would buy without a policy in place.

If the issue with non-locking locks is brought to the attention of the Insurance company, they'll be aware and may refuse to pay out in the event of theft unless the locks are repaired and proof obtained. If you say nothing, then if the car is stolen, do you effectively tell lies and say the car was locked, or admit to the fault and risk no remuneration? Yes, you can cut the hood and be inside in seconds, but the locks are fitted from new and so legally must work for the vehicle to be secure. You can also smash the glass on a modern and get inside in much the same way despite central locking and deadlocks etc. but they still insist on it being locked.

Personally I'd get the locks fixed or fit alternatives, but then I'm the sort of person who hates anything that doesn't work, it niggles at me until I do something about it.

You used to be able to buy supplementary door locks or deadlocks that fitted below the original door handles like a second circular keyhole, but I can't find any of them on-line this morning as an illustration.

18 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I had to take out Insurance in 2015 concerning a right-of-way past my last house that had been in use for 40+ years, just in case the person who owned the other half of the shared laneway objected to its' use by others. The problem was that if I raised the issue with the owner - and I knew that he wouldn't have any objections at all - then he would be aware of it and Insurance would not cover me for the cost of any subsequent legal wrangles concerning access. I could have sorted it in two minutes neighbour to neighbour but the solicitor would not let me. So: I took out £300 of Insurance cover to protect me from a dispute over access which is never going to happen, in order to sell the house, as no-one would buy without a policy in place.

All very well until the neighbour from hell moves in next door, then you'll discover what a wonderful solicitor you had.

Door locks? Fix 'em, doesn't matter if they're ineffective, don't give your insurance the option.

Doug

4 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

All very well until the neighbour from hell moves in next door, then you'll discover what a wonderful solicitor you had.

Not my problem - I sold it! (But it will still be claimed on the policy that I took out, even years from now, as it covers that property.)

In my current house, I own the lane that leads to the farm buildings behind, so I can be the one to object some day. Not that I would, it seems very petty.

On 14/09/2019 at 22:19, Anglefire said:

I've had my impact driver for over 30years. I must be getting bloody old!

Works a treat - and mine (I assume they all do!) you can take off the head and reveal the 1/2" drive so can use it with sockets too!

Mine arrived today . Had one years ago guess my son has nicked it !

£8 deld 

Paul 

436ADD42-5048-4786-965D-5CB1FE820969.thumb.jpeg.6079bd422d9a07b95dc9f3eb132ba381.jpeg

• Like 2