Vitesse Mk2 CV - How Does This Fit In ??

Hello,

When I purchased my Vitesse CV nearly ten years ago, it did not have the finishing / blanking panel as shown (by the gap) in the photo; I'm currently rectifying this and making one.

However, what I cannot fathom is this piece of underlay - in so much how is it fitted OR should it even be there ?? Bearing in mind the finishing / blanking panel forms one side of the soft top bin, it is difficult to see why a piece of underlay would be fitted there.

If anyone can advise I will be most grateful.

Of interest the panel is being made from 6mm marine ply - now primed and undercoated; but awaiting a couple of top coats in black over the next few days.

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

Richard.

DSC00347.JPG

Richard, I thinking is worth sticking some sound deadening if some description onto the ply, as it can be quite resonant. I would suggest something with dual density, maybe a double of the bitumin pads and then a layer of felt or similar.

It all helps, and as we know, a CV with the roof up needs all the help it can get.

Thanks Clive, that's a good idea and yes I know what you mean !!

I will have a look and see what's on offer; probably go the Silent Coat route with a finishing layer.

Regards.

Richard.

I've only got what's in the photo, Paul.

As mentioned I have made a wood panel which will be bolted to the framework via the 3x holes on each side - you can see 2x of them on the R/H upright. 

Is that what you are speaking of ??

Regards.

Richard.

Thanks Paul and Colin,

I understand the point you are making.

No I have not, but I can make one.

Does that angled metal length go end-to-end with the 2x vertical strips ??

Thanks.

Richard.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Boot area sorted.

With that piece of underlay disposed of, it was time to make good the boot area.

To make the panel I used a piece of 6mm marine ply and cut it to shape to provide a snug fit against the internal framework. The ply was then primed, undercoated a couple of top coats either side - probably a bit over the top as I now intended to secure insulating material to both sides of the panel. Sometime ago I got a roll of thick insulating material from Martrim at a show along with a can of their contact adhesive spray - have to say it's excellent stuff.

With the ply prepped and dry, the material was stuck to the panel which worked out very well, looking very neat and fitting nicely against the framework. The top of the board is secured in situ by four tabs and on the earlier advice given I made a lower securing plate from alloy. This was cut to size, rounded off, etch primed and finished with a few coats of Hammerite.

Everything fitted perfectly. Only one problem........................... it made the rest of the boot area look shabby !!

I ripped out the old carpets and then cut, shaped and fitted more of the same insulating material I used for the board. All went well and the boot area looks much neater with the addition of insulating material now fitted throughout except behind the fuel tank which will be addressed as and when the tank needs removing.

I ran out of Martrim contact adhesive and they charge mega bucks to post. Popped over to Screwfix and purchased their No Nonsense contact adhesive - I swear it's identical stuff and for less that £4 finished the job perfectly. 

Nothing is ever just a quick job, but worth it in the end.

Regards.

Richard.

DSC00363.JPG

DSC00348.JPG