Spitfire Mk2 Door Locks or not?

KevinB

Hi, my Mk2 Spitfires total rebuild  is nearing completion. I was discussing the doors locks with one of the guys doing most of the work, his  view is not to bother fitting door locks, we've had two new outer doors skins so they would need holes drilled out etc, as they tend to not always work properly, and if anyone wants to break in they will  just slash open the roof. He suggests fitting a Thatchem alarm instead. 

What do people think?  

Cheers, Kevin 

Hello Kevin,

My Mk2 is now my everyday transport and I agree with your restorer, don't bother with the locks. Anybody who wants to get into your car will un-clip the hood or slash it. The best approach is the leave nothing of value in the car and to fit a really good quality secondary locking device. I use a disclok which fits over the steering wheel and is Thatcham approved, and I usually use one of those things that locks the handbrake to the gear lever too to make it hard to release the handbrake (not that anybody can work out how to release the 'fly off' handbrake anyway) If I'm really feeling nervous I have a hidden fuel tap in the boot. A professionally fitted alarm/immobiliser would be an excellent thing to have.

Adrian

8 hours ago, Adrian Cooper said:

Hello Kevin,

My Mk2 is now my everyday transport and I agree with your restorer, don't bother with the locks.

There's another thread running on Insurance cover without locks, or at least with defective locks - if you don't tell them and they find out, they may not pay up; but if you do tell them, they may require other security on the car.