Rotoflex Rear Hub Bearings

Qu1ckn1ck

I have excessive play in one rear hub even though the hub nut is tight to the correct torque so looking for advice.  What hub puller is recommended and where is best place to borrow, steal or even buy it from? 

Who supplies the best quality bearings for the Rotoflex rear hub? 

I have a spare set of shafts, hubs and uprights - is it easier to remove the hub and set up new bearings on the spare set then swap with the assembly on the car ? 

I think that I will be bending Pete's ear at The Raven on Monday evening !

I bought a full set of shims from rbmobileclassics on eBay - including replacing the one we used on rebuilding my o/s hub. However, he's not listing any at the moment. The seller, Richard Briscoe, also advertises in the back of The Courier magazine - he's the second listing under Parts 4 Sale on page69 of the August edition, immediately beneath Mike Papworth.

If you have the option of building the replacement shaft / hub separately, including a new banded rotoflex coupling, then that's some benefit for reassembly. However, if you're not replacing the coupling, then you'll probably not gain much.

How much play do you have? Is the bearing rumbling?

Gully

A large amount of play but no bearing rumble noticeable above the cars normal rattles and squeaks.  The rotoflex were new banded and appeared fine when I bought the complete shaft, upright and brake assemblies recently as refurbished from an unfinished project.

Nick

71384942_2387969677982397_87065750847367

On 21/09/2019 at 17:50, Gully said:

I bought a full set of shims from rbmobileclassics on eBay - including replacing the one we used on rebuilding my o/s hub. However, he's not listing any at the moment. The seller, Richard Briscoe, also advertises in the back of The Courier magazine - he's the second listing under Parts 4 Sale on page69 of the August edition, immediately beneath Mike Papworth.

If you have the option of building the replacement shaft / hub separately, including a new banded rotoflex coupling, then that's some benefit for reassembly. However, if you're not replacing the coupling, then you'll probably not gain much.

How much play do you have? Is the bearing rumbling?

Gully

Been on to rbmobile and he can supply spacers but at the moment I am not sure exactly what will be required until the hub is disassembled.

Nick

It may well be the case that it is over shimmed which allows you to torque up but won’t tighten the taper bearings sufficiently. I didn’t need a puller when I did mine. I shimmed via trial and error until I was happy with the setup, adding 1 thou at a time, I was able to remove hub each time insitu without having to disconnect the brake hose. Uncle Pete will sort you out!

• Like 1

On 24/09/2019 at 21:11, Adrian said:

It may well be the case that it is over shimmed which allows you to torque up but won’t tighten the taper bearings sufficiently. I didn’t need a puller when I did mine. I shimmed via trial and error until I was happy with the setup, adding 1 thou at a time, I was able to remove hub each time insitu without having to disconnect the brake hose. Uncle Pete will sort you out!

I have difficulty in vizualizing  the  GT6 Rotoflex hub bearings and spacer arrangement as my previous experience has been with much simpler live rear axles.  I came to a similar conclusion to you, that the shimming probably needs to be reduced to put pre-load on the bearings.

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

no its the opposite add shims reduces the float as the shims are not sandwiched between the races but are on the outside at the inner end 

this is why its a pain, there is no spacer between the races they are free to well  ....float 

Pete

The more I see of Triumph's engineering design ...... :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

well the hub needed the hub puller and impact gun and bang  its off with very dished washer ,, strange its supposed to be a hand fit on the splines

you dont have room to magnet the spacer out, and ive lost my small one anyway,  dont ask but we machined a few thou off the hub but refitting needed more load than removing ,,  all a bit odd so pause for bacon buttie and drag it off, the hub has seen a hard  previous problem , so we try gully's  spare hub, bingo slides on a treat too much float so again shorten the hub by 0.003"  and refit and torque the nut fit wheel no rock  brilliant,  fitted new wheel studs while it was off so there is life with rotaflex hubs Nicks got a snap of the elusive packing to get the oil seal fully seated ..  jobs a good un !!!

to heck with the manual and myths .simple head scratching saved the day not a purist repair but needs must 

await nicks did it get him home ok ???

Pete and Gully

• Thanks 1

Safely home with all four wheels rotating smoothly. 

Many thanks to Pete and Gully for their time and expertise. 

Thanks Gully for donating your spare hub and thanks also to Gill for supplying very welcome food and drink at appropriate moments. 

DSC01548.JPG

DSC01547.JPG

• Thanks 1

we can only assume the hub has been seriously deformed by a previous failure  the nut platform is really deformed the rather thin washer took on the apperance of the gear remote cup,   

the hub was so excessively tight on the shaft there is no way the 'who did the rebuild'   could have accessed the end float , the subsequent   lack of feel decended into  a large endfloat

the spec being 0.0005 to 0.0025"  

Pete

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

we can only assume the hub has been seriously deformed by a previous failure  the nut platform is really deformed the rather thin washer took on the apperance of the gear remote cup,   

the hub was so excessively tight on the shaft there is no way the 'who did the rebuild'   could have accessed the end float , the subsequent   lack of feel decended into  a large endfloat

the spec being 0.0005 to 0.0025"  

Pete

... and here is the photographic evidence m'lud:

DSC01556.JPG

DSC01557.JPG